Intermediate Skier - Good deal on Syndicate Omega. Worth it?

PatrickStar72

• Baller

Hi, I am intermediate skier who is currently in the middle of learning the course at full 75', running 28-30mph. 

The ski I am currently using (Connelly V) I am actually giving to my family members to use this on an open lake so I am looking for a new ski that will last me the next few years. I currently ski 1-2 times a week. Next year I'd like to ski even more than that. 

I came across a steal of a deal for an ho Syndicate Omega from someone I know who is getting rid of theirs. It is the blue/black one. Would this be an ok ski to use and progress on? Honestly it is cheap enough to the point where I guess I could even try it and if I hate it I move on to something else, but figured I'd ask just in case anyway. 

Any advice appreciated. Thank you!

• Baller

Not knowing what is "cheap", but more importantly, what is your weight and what is the length of the ski?.  It may very well be an awesome deal price wise, but if it is the wrong size, the allure of price will be overshadowed by the frustration of a ski that does not fit you.  Yes, an omega is an awesome, high end ski.  I skied 2 different years and loved them.  It is more ski than you need or can take advantage of, but if it is the right size, you can grow into it.  

• Baller
3 minutes ago, markn said:

Not knowing what is "cheap", but more importantly, what is your weight and what is the length of the ski?.  It may very well be an awesome deal price wise, but if it is the wrong size, the allure of price will be overshadowed by the frustration of a ski that does not fit you.  Yes, an omega is an awesome, high end ski.  I skied 2 different years and loved them.  It is more ski than you need or can take advantage of, but if it is the right size, you can grow into it.  

Thank you very much. 

My weight is 200 lbs, Height 5'9" (Muscular physique, not super round if that somehow makes any difference). Ski length is 68". My Connelly V was 69". The price is 500. The year of the ski is a 2022.

• Baller

A 68 omega is for above 190 lb. Skiing at 34 mph.  At your weight/height it is the low speed 28-30 mph long line) that will make this ski difficult to ski.  There simply is not sufficient surface area to support your weight at those slower speeds.  There are many better skis for your circumstances that allow you to progress with less frustration.  No question a good price, but not the ski for you at your current skill level.

• Like 1

• Baller
6 minutes ago, markn said:

A 68 omega is for above 190 lb. Skiing at 34 mph.  At your weight/height it is the low speed 28-30 mph long line) that will make this ski difficult to ski.  There simply is not sufficient surface area to support your weight at those slower speeds.  There are many better skis for your circumstances that allow you to progress with less frustration.  No question a good price, but not the ski for you at your current skill level.

Gotcha, thank you for the response, I appreciate it. 

• Baller
18 hours ago, markn said:

So I believe I decided on an HO Omni. It looks like that might suit me the best, and has been recommended. 

Question on the Omega though. The person offered to let me try it. I'm not going to go with it, but I was kinda curious to try it. Is it safe to do? If I'm a little heavier for the 28-30mph mark, do I risk breaking it or something trying it? If so I'll just leave it be. 

• Baller
4 hours ago, MitchellM said:

Why don't you buy yourself a 69" Carbon V?  A great ski at your current level which will also let you progress through the course at higher speed and shorter lines.

I will look into the Carbon V and see if anyone has it on ski again. I am new to all the makes/models I just happened to look at HO because people were recommending them. 

On a side-note, can anyone comment on this pic per chance? I did run into someone selling a syndicate omni for a decent price, but one of the photos seemed like it had a small blemish between the top of the ski and the carbon part near the tail. Here is the pic. Does this look like it'd be a big deal, or just a standard blemish that occurs on skis?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EILo8RJh0qf4MHsTcOdjIoQ4p1TSMXrN/view?usp=sharing

• Baller

Go with the HO Syndicate OMNI, most underrated ski out there for those at your level and beyond. The OMNI is the only ski clean edge technology that reduces drag making it super efficient, the wider tail makes it super easy to get up on and it turns without thinking. Make sure you spring for the Syndicate version rather than the carbon version.

• Like 1

• Baller
25 minutes ago, BGrow76 said:

Go with the HO Syndicate OMNI, most underrated ski out there for those at your level and beyond. The OMNI is the only ski clean edge technology that reduces drag making it super efficient, the wider tail makes it super easy to get up on and it turns without thinking. Make sure you spring for the Syndicate version rather than the carbon version.

Can you take a look at the link I posted just a few posts up? I am considering getting that one but as you can see, I'm not sure if that's normal for tail manufacturer/wear and tear.

• Baller
11 minutes ago, ETskier said:

Whatever you buy, make sure you learn about fin setting and binding location and make sure you set yours back to stock. Even brand new they can be off. Also, at your level and speed, take the wing off or set at 5. 

Thank you. Yes I know nothing about binding location. There are a couple coaches where I ski so I will ask them if they can give me the run down on where to put my bindings and what not. Noted on the fin. 

Separate note, can you take a peak at the manufacturing of the tail on the Pic I posted above? Do you think that is not an issue/normal? If so I am going to go with that one. It is from a discount store and he showed me pics of the same model other skis and they all look similar to that in pictures, but wanted to make sure it's not a big defect that will be an issue. Thank you everyone for all the advice. Trust me I have negative ego and am just trying to learn and make the right purchase haha. 

• Baller

If you have an option to ride a ski before buying it, take the opportunity. Even the Omega you asked about originally. It will give you an idea of that you like and don’t. 

Also, shorten to 15 off. 75 feet of line is extremely long these days and gets pretty hard to keep tension at your level

• Like 1