Rudder Tab and loose steering

BS74

• Baller

I have a 2017 200 with 6.2 engine.  Steering has gotten loose.  MY rudder tab was slightly to the left looking at it from the rear.  I moved it more to the left and seems like it made it worse so will try going back to the right.    Also, hands off the wheel at 32 mph and boat goes straight line.  I would have thought that  with that much left trim tab the boat would really turned to the left.  Second issue is that the steering wheel turns about 1 1/2 to 2 inches before the rudder moves.  I'm going to pull the motor hood this week and look at all connetions and check the cable.

Any suggestions as to direction to trouble shoot.  Rudder is solid, no play, under the dash is solid,  as is tilt hub.

• Baller

Moved the rudder tab to flush with right side and I'd say it's about a 90% improvement.  Still a little excess steering wheel movement compared to my ski partner's 2019 Nautique, but certainly good to ski.  I'm guessing a new cable, but will wait for a little cooler weather here in Florida.

I might try going a little past flush to the right just to see the reaction, but it's pretty good right now.

Thanks for all the comments!

• Baller

I had similar issues earlier this year when my trim tab got loose. I replaced the lock washers, now it holds the tab fine and drives great, but I have to have the boat well balanced at slower speeds (e.g., 26 mph). At 32 through 36, the balance is more forgiving. Once you get your tab dialed, you may have to manage the weight depending upon the speeds you drive.

• Baller
On 8/28/2023 at 2:19 AM, dave2ball said:

@BGrow76 slam the rudder tab Al the way to the right  it should be flush with the right side of the rudder   

When you say slam it to the right and it should be flush with the right side of the rudder do you mean the back edge of the tab moves to the left?

• Baller

You need to fix the play in your steering system 1st, the tab is only to adjust the load.

The wheel should not have +1” play before the rudder moves. It can be the cable, the steering head, and if you have a tilt wheel the joints in the mechanism , and the “steering clamp” ball joint  that secures the steering cable to the stringer in the bilge.  All too often when folks replace the cable, they neglect the steering block which can have significant slop after a few years.  I replaced all of the above, and my 2009 steers like new, with no play 

• Like 2