The most favorite-est topic on Ball of Spray...

kmenard

• Baller

@BraceMaker Your conclusions differ from mine.  The 38% of cases  is between 2017 and 2022 being administrative closures meaning  "no findings, imposed no sanctions and there was no public record of the allegation and with some cases taking over a year, which is denial of timely due process.  I still have little confidence in the process. ( You are using the estimated 7000 number for cases this year with no supporting data yet available to conclude 38%.)  Further, only 32% of survey respondents consider SS "very effective".  I guess we will just have different views...kind of like boats and ZO settings.

• Baller_

Well, if water skiing gets dropped as a Pan Am sport, we’ll likely lose our funding from USOPC and with it our obligation to participate in Safe Sport. However, we benefit by being compelled to participate in SS. Since we are obligated to participate, there is no reasonable argument for opting out and the board can’t reasonably be faulted for the SS requirement.  If we aren’t compelled to participate, then the issue will be (assuming it’s possible) whether or not we should voluntarily participate. Then the board will have to make a decision, and that has the potential to really piss off that part of the membership that falls within whichever group it is that loses the argument. And that could result in a real membership retention problem. 

• Like 1

Lpskier

• Baller

@lpskier I actually don't have a problem with Safe Sport as a concept. I have a problem with the implementation of systems that allow people to say they are doing something, without actually affecting anything. (and I am still bitter that I could get a pre-quiz question right, and still have to sit through the presentation to then take the quiz and give the same correct answer) 

• Like 3

• Baller
1 hour ago, The_MS said:

If a non USOPC waterski league were to develop, I would gladly pay extra dues to stay away from any government backing. 
Just leave USAWS to the elites that need to travel the world to compete. 

Who do you plan on getting to run it and provide any insurance?  USOC mandate aside, this was also a requirement of USAWS insurers.

• Like 1

• Baller_

I have no plans on starting it up, organizing or dealing with it. However, if there is a group out there willing,  I would be happy to be a member and contribute the 2-3k per year that I was spending prior to this debacle. If not, I am very happy on the sidelines and spending my money on skis and other stuff. 

• Baller
Just now, The_MS said:

I have no plans on starting it up, organizing or dealing with it. However, if there is a group out there willing,  I would be happy to be a member and contribute the 2-3k per year that I was spending prior to this debacle. If not, I am very happy on the sidelines and spending my money on skis and other stuff. 

I understand you're willing to lob an alternative idea, which is to be applauded.  I'm just pointing out that it's not just about USOC requirements.

• Baller
41 minutes ago, lpskier said:

It would be a lot better if they had a better produced training that was interesting and maybe even entertaining. 

Maybe, lets face it though it could have been more entertaining than Top Gun and the fact it was "pushed" on "us" would have yielded the same complaints. 

• Baller_
On 9/8/2023 at 11:34 AM, The_MS said:

want to be on the board of a different approach to competitive water-skiing?

• Like 2

• Baller
On 9/8/2023 at 11:38 AM, markn said:

To make a skiing analogy....if I missed 38% of my opening passes over 5 plus years, I think I would seek a different approach.

I'm not sure that's a good analogy if you're missing 38% of your openers maybe pick an easier opener.  But where does it say administrative closures are bad?  Their website indicates the majority of administrative closures are due to the complainant not responding to the accusation.

It also indicates that in those cases the accused receives a letter of admonishment.  Would them sanctioning 100% of the accused make you feel better?

Sure reads as if the athletes would like a more effective system with more strength and more resources not less. 

• Baller

SS whiffs on 38% of it's accusations  from 2016 to 2022 and after putting the falsely accused through unnecessary hell, they get a letter exonerating them.  Seriously doubt the 38% who received a letter of exoneration think the process was, in any way, just and all is fine.

• DIslike 1
  • Thanks 1