Radar Senate Graphite vs 2021 KD Krypton

Ray G

• Baller

After a hard fall my current Reflex Zen snapped in front of the front boot and need something to finish off the season and be ready for spring.  

I'm a 165lb athletic 61 year old who primarily free skis at 30 MPH though once or twice a year I get the opportunity to ski a course and can comfortably run 15 off 28 MPH.

I've skied a Senate Pro Build and like it though my budget is more in the Graphite range, thus I've asked for input on the Graphite.  I've also had the KD Krypton recommended.  Expect to keep the ski for a while and expect my skiing skill have probably peaked so don't realistically expect to need higher performance. 

I know the best idea is to try before you buy, but I'm not in a position to do so at present for these different options.  Any suggestions between these two or something else you think I should consider?

Also any recommendations in picking between a 66 or 67 length in this range of ski?

• Baller

@Ray G I have been freeskiing mixed w some course at -15 off 28-30 mph all season on a ‘22 Senate Graphite and couldn’t be happier. Fantastic ski. Wouldn’t recommend going with anything lower than the Graphite (Alloy has a fixed fin) and you may be able to sniff out a used Lithium or Pro at a decent price, on SIA. Probably a a bit higher ceiling than the Graphite. Looking for a higher end model myself. Can’t speak to the KD or sizing. 

• Baller

The Senate is a great ski at any build level. You probably won't need to adjust the fin so don't rule out the Alloy if that is what you budget allows.  But generally buy the highest build you can afford.  SIA is a great place for deals but if your in a hurry that may not work for you.  It's end of season so maybe your local shop will cut you a deal on a left over '23 as the '24's are a new shape.

Get high, Get fast, and do some good work.

• Administrators

Both are very good skis for that category.  I haven't ridden the last few generations of Senate but the reputation should speak for itself. I have ridden the krypton see below 

• Baller

Also recently recommended the KD Krypton Fushion (66’) for entry level course. Currently on a Senate (67’). On the bubble weight wise (162lbs) for the 67’ Senate and thinking a 66’ (Krypton) may be a bit better suited because of its size. Other than Horton’s review, can’t seem to find much info out there and not sure if I’d be gaining much by making a switch. 

A bit off topic and forgive my ignorance but is there a reason the Senate isn’t made in 66’ like the Vapor? 

• Baller

As the KD distributor I will do my best to as impartial as possible. I learned to ski the course on a Senate and for a skier at my level I can't say I have any complaints. I switched skis when I got to 34mph and the 67" felt a little too big. I was about 10lbs lighter then as well. I have not rode a senate model past 2021 but I remember it being stable and able to carry good speed. Keep in mind I was only skiing in to 22' off at 34mph at this time or 28' off at slower speeds.

Last year I started on the KD 66" Fusion For reference I am 5'10 180ish. Out of the box I liked the Fusion in some ways it reminded me of the Senate. Stable and easy for deep water starts. Turns felt different (but I was coming off a D3 at the time). Once comfortable on the ski I found it turned good and is deceiving at how easy it was to get cross course. It also carries speed easily. For fun I did a 26mph-32mph @ 22' off. and 28"off @ 30mph. I appreciate the ease of getting wide at the slower speeds. If you ski at a higher level I would recommend what @Horton and @h2oSkiJunkie have to say.