Hydrodyne Grand Sport Elite - open bow DD

ALPJr

• Baller

@ALPJr - what year? I have a  92Hydrodyne Comp, and the open bows I've seen have been the Grand Sport. Same hull. Not familiar with the Elite . Wakes on my Comp DD are fine, no complaints, nice and soft.  I ski other boats including 99 196 and 93 PS 190 and do not feel those wakes are noticeably better at all. Maybe slightly smaller at longer lines (15-22) but at 28 and shorter the Hydrodyne is great. Actually considerably less chine spray. Folks I pull that also ski tournaments have no complaints.   Hydrodyne made a great boat.      

• Like 2

• Baller

I owned a 93 Hydrodyne Comp. Wakes at -28 and shorter were small, soft, with a trough. Grand Sport I skied behind occasionally was excellent also. My wife loved driving the Hydrodyne!  I believe all inboard Hydrodynes used the same hull at least until purchased by Calabria. 

• Baller

I've had a 94 for the past 10 years or so.  It's a really well built boat and really handles a multi-sport family (like mine) really well.  They have a little more freeboard than most of the boats of the era (not nearly as susceptible to dunking a bow like many others), and I really like their open bow layout.  Storage is piss poor, but mine's on a lift, so doesn't matter to me anymore.  Slalom wakes; it carries some V in the hull to the stern, so is more weight sensitive than something that's flat at the stern.  15-off is fine, 22 is pretty bad as to be expected, and 28 and shorter is pretty good.  It also puts out a nice rampy wake at slower speeds if you have kids that like to wakeboard or trick.

Engine-wise, I'd try to go with a 95/96 which should have the GT-40.  The 94's had the Protec TBI engine, which you'll have to swap back to a carb/dizzy when the Protec takes a crap (which it will), and the TBI is kind of a gas hog.

• Like 1