Swiss Pro Slalom - Sunday, May 5th, 2024

Click Here for the webcast

Is this 2000 Malibu LXI a fair price for what it is?

Ronny61

• Baller

@foxriverat Thanks for the reply, so if this boat that is loaded with so many extras  is only worth 25k then a same low hour lxi in this same cond. with nothing added to it would only be worth 15-18k ? If I could find one for this price then I would buy it tomorrow. Only the market will provide the real answer but still interested in others opinions on the value of this boat.

• Baller

Since COVID boat prices have been out of whack, but I'd say between 23-25k for this boat. And like @foxriverat alluded to, one would also expect prices in the winter to be generally lower than they are in the spring or mid summer, so that makes this boat even more over priced. 

• Like 1

• Baller

Appreciate the replies and input 

based on responses it looks like this boat would be worth no more than 10k based on the comparison between the 2 ? The interior is basically shot which can easily cost 4-5k, it does not have tower, racks, Bimini, 5k, PP, $1500, heater ,1500,  $4000 integrated ballast system, etc., etc.  all things most people are looking for in a nice crossover boat. not to mention it needs other mechanical work 

You would have to spend anywhere from 15-20k depending how much work you do yourself to make this boat comparable to mine 

I think with a boat like mine it really depends on the buyer and how much value they see in the way it is set up

I don’t need to sell it this winter so no hurry really, will be curious to see what kind of offers are presented 

moving to retire in the Philippines next fall is only reason it’s even for sale , would love to take it with me but the logistics, duties and saltwater environment doesn’t make sense to do it.

https://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Boat_3Event&postid=67429

• Baller

New cost of features <> depreciated value of features. PP is kind of expected for anyone skiing the course looking at a 20 year old boat. Also towers and ballast are very polarizing, nice features for the right buyer at best and an annoyance to others.  

Here is what others will also be looking at, this is what 25k gets you: 

https://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Boat_3Event&postid=67708

https://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Boat_3Event&postid=66420

here is what 32k gets you, 10 years newer and zero off for starters: 

https://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Boat_3Event&postid=68191

• Like 1

• Baller_

Have you had the boat appraised by a certified appraiser?  That will provide you with an unbiased evaluation of value.  The appraiser would need to be well versed in the ski boat business and know what that boat is, you are correct in it being a boat that really appreciated by those that own one.  As noted, the asking price is well above the going rate for a similar boat.  If the buyer comes along that places the same value on the condition and extras a deal may happen.  If it gets to the 'need to sell' point, the selling price will be adjusted accordingly.

• Baller

This is a great example of someone who values all of the extras and unique features of their own boat, but will have to realize that they don't actually translate to dollars when selling.  Sure, he gets some dollars for low hours and nice interior, but this is still a 2000 LXi.  I just purchased a 2005 LXi in good condition with 500 hours for $25k

• Baller_

Some folks have posted links comparing the boat in question, which is a Sunsetter LXi, to the Response LXi.   It is not an apples to apples comparison - those are vastly different boats and hulls.  That said, the boat in question is a nice boat and should ski very well, but the price does seem high.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

This is probably the best comparison out there , one year newer, similar condition and same  low hours 

with the exception of no tandem  trailer, new version PP, 3 outlet heater with pump, dual batteries with switch and idolater, 3k integrated ballast system, wakeboard tower, Bimini,  swivel racks, surf rack, etc, etc for a total of a minimum 15k in extras

like I said these boats typically sell for around 25k bare bones boat.

if you only use 50% of value for all the extras you are around 32k 

can you imagine what the bill would be if you took this boat to your local dealer and had them ad everything to it that is on mine with the same level of craftsmanship on the install?

I think anyone looking for  this particular boat or any other similar crossover that is loaded with every convenience available and wants to  do all things water sports with a highlight on slalom will easily see the value in my boat , sure it’s a smaller audience but I believe he or she is out there?

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/2001-malibu-sunsetter-lxi-9088910/

• Baller

@MISkier you are correct, I think of a Response lxi as a pure slalom boat and the SS lxi as a true crossover boat...not apples to apples and a different buyer. Because the LXI is such a good crossover boat and only made for 5 model years there is a supply / demand balance  in favor of the seller with a clean, low hour loaded boat capable of maximizing the full potential of it's crossoverness (pretty sure that's not a real word) with the most convenience possible in switching over from one discipline to another.

No reason not to start at the higher price if not in a hurry to sell and let the market determine the true value.

• Like 1

• Baller

I don't think you are ever going to get 50% of the value of "extras" tacked onto a 25 year old boat.  That's just not how used boats generally get valued.

But it doesn't matter what you or I independently think.  The only thing that matters is what a willing buyer and willing seller agree on as far as price.   So no harm in listing for what you think it's worth.  

• Baller

Loaded up can't add 7K in a 20 year plus used environment in my opinion--but it's just that.  If you sell for your price that is great---but you asked the question and are getting opinions--none of which said the price is reflective so far on your boat.  Maybe there is a happy medium, maybe you will sell for your price--time will tell.  Really nice boat.  

• Baller
13 hours ago, Ronny61 said:

Here is a nice one with same low hours for 25k…although it is basically naked I think this is what someone gets for that price, the loaded up one will cost more for obvious reasons 

That boat is at a dealer which usually means a bit of a premium.  Plus it looks like it's been on the market for a while with no takers.  Obviously not priced competively.  It is a clean, low hours boat, but it is 23 years old and likely worth around $20k.

• Baller
16 hours ago, Ronny61 said:

Here is a nice one with same low hours for 25k…although it is basically naked I think this is what someone gets for that price, the loaded up one will cost more for obvious reasons 

That's not an LXi.  Dealer who listed it doesn't know what they're doing.  That's a Sunsetter.  Different animal than the SS LXi.

• Baller

Sorry guys that was my mistake I agree the Sporter is very different and wasn't t a fair comparison.   

I meant to include a 2000 Response LX near me but its gone now.  But I did find the same hull in a 99 close bow that seems like a good deal for a very good boat.  Doesn't have the room or open bow of an LXi but I wouldnt turn down a pull behind it.  

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/7818154728210987/?mibextid=dXMIcH