2013 Sea Ray SLX 230

matias

• Baller

It will pull a skier, but if wake matters at all it's going to be really big.  That is a deep v-hull that will ride nice in big waves, bank/tip in the corners in the direction of travel, and have lots of space.  It's very far from what we around here would consider a ski boat.  

• Like 1

• Baller
12 hours ago, 6balls said:

It will pull a skier, but if wake matters at all it's going to be really big.  That is a deep v-hull that will ride nice in big waves, bank/tip in the corners in the direction of travel, and have lots of space.  It's very far from what we around here would consider a ski boat.  

12 hours ago, Horton said:

it depends on what you want. If you want to progress as a slalom skier then wakes matter - a lot.

Today I ride a Bayliner 180 with a Evinrude 150HP. Do you think it would do a much diferent Wake? 

Thanks

• Baller

The slalom wake would be larger (worse)  behind the Sea Ray. The Sea Ray likely weighs twice that of your Bayliner. More passengers onboard (which I suspect is the reason to buy a larger boat) will add to a problem of a wake shape and firmness that is undesirable for skiing back and forth through that wake quickly. 

Ski boats are designed with, among other things, a flat or very minimal dead rise (v-shape) to the hull.  

• Like 2

• Baller
  • Brand not terribly significant as far as it goes with a bow rider. A smaller 18ft boat is reasonable to start slalom with. I ran the course at 28 mph behind an 18' sea ray 180 before we got our prostar. Not long ago I skied behind my brothers 22 ft Chaparral and got launched over the wakes. No way I could run the course behind that boat. 
  • Like 1