Best Cold Water Gloves

• Baller_

https://www.go2marine.com/showa-282-temres-gloves

These gloves are waterproof and warm. The only down side is the nylon cuff will let water in - if you drop & keep hands up they work well. I am modifying mine replacing the cuff with a dry suit seal - will post pics when done. They look bulky but have decent grip and are durable. They size small; I have both a L and XL and the XL fingers fit me better.  The above page is about $10 less than othe sites. Reading about them ice climbers really like them.

Camero has some glove liners that work well. Basically just a little wetsuit for your hands. during the summer I usually tape my hands, during the winter I just use the liners underneath my usual gloves. Works good into the low 40s f

• Baller_
On 2/4/2024 at 9:42 AM, Chirod said:

Camero has some glove liners that work well. Basically just a little wetsuit for your hands. during the summer I usually tape my hands, during the winter I just use the liners underneath my usual gloves. Works good into the low 40s f

I tried those but they were too slippery on the inside of glove - like the main ski glove could pull off my hand really easily, so half my grip strength was spent just keeping the main gloves from sliding off.

• Baller
On 2/5/2024 at 9:50 PM, Slalom.Steve said:

These look sorta interesting - https://www.scdivingstore.com/products/dry-five-dive-gloves - never tried em though.

We use this kind of glove for tricks. We have a kid (runs mid 38 in the summer) who slaloms with them but I’ve never tried for slalom. Bearing in mind if I don’t wash my hands well before a set I can barely ski I don’t think I’d be a fan 😆

I’m heading back home this week though and interested to try the blue workshop gloves and see how it feels! Never thought of that!

• Baller
1 hour ago, skibrain said:

@Slalom.Steve I have tried and own thick all-neoprene scuba/ice fishing gloves. OK for dock and lift work, or I suppose skiing behind the boat in a straight line, but not enough structure for slalom loads. They tear immediately. 

We all use the rip curl flashbulb or O’Neil 3/2 version and they hold up for the season at least! Not cheap but have always worked well

• Baller

I just use black latex gloves - (Venom brand) under my normal gloves and it really helps. Doesn’t keep your hand warm, but it sure does keep the wind off.  I also ski with a stocking hat to keep my ears warm. 

• Baller_

Here are several pics of my glove project. Gloves used listed in earlier post. I removed the original nylon cuff and glued on a wrist drysuit seal. 100% waterproof and WARM now. No problem having hands in the water between passes.  The black bag is an anesthesia bag, available on line. I use 1L for the gloves, 2L for drysuit repair. Three way valve found at hardware store, just inflate by mouth. Pic shows aquaseal, Gearaid makes Seam Grip which is thinner and easier to work with. Shop for the 8 oz tubes, store in freezer for future use. I use electrical tape on the seam overnite to hold repair in place. Roughen all surfaces with sandpaper before glueing. Ready to use after 24 hrs cure.

image.jpeg

gloveand bag.jpg

glove stuff.jpg

cold gloves.jpg

• Like 3

• Baller

@skibrain my daughter used your nitrile glove technique yesterday. She suffers with cold hands which result in carrot fingers and missed grabs. She still had cold hands but with the nitrile gloves under normal gloves there was enough insulation to not go carroty fingered and still have control so good enough and game changer.

@Rednucleus interesting project and excellent write up and pics. I am adding it to my project list, going to buy some seals and when I next use Aquaseal use the left over to bond a chem glove, the aqua seal left in tube always ends up going off so a free trial, should have some gloves to try by next winter.

• Baller_

@101driver Store the aquaseal in the freezer in a zip lock, it lasts a long time.  Next time try the Gearaid Seam Grip, I like it better than aquaseal.

My friend skied with these gloves into 32 off today and says the grip is fine.  He has Raynauds and his fingers are much happier

• Like 1

• Baller

@Gale K thank you for tip and sharing will order some.

@Rednucleus I did not know that will definitely use the freezer zip lock tip. I normally have a list on wipeboard and a collection of broken toys and punctured buoys before I open a tube. Much more practice solution thank you. I will try the seam grip. You must be gutted about them steeling your design, after all that work and innovation..........

• Haha 1

• Baller

@Rednucleus you should work out some type of royalty deal!

@101driver if you go read through that other thread, you'll see my strategy involves old, crappy worn out ski gloves under them. Grip is fine. The ski gloves provide me warmth.  My hands are never cold.

• Baller

@Slalom.Steve Correct!  Most of the way down page 1 on this thread:  

I will edit/change my opinion here to say the grippiness of them is not a concern after I used them the first few times.  I "thought" I was going to be concerned, but they are very good, IMO.  I have zero concerns with grip.  Handle is a Proline that is nearing needing to be replaced.  But there is no feeling that I will lose the rope because of grip.  I don't think about it at all when skiing.

Hands stay completely dry.  Get the latex glove seals onto the latex drysuit arm seals, and I'm golden.