Swiss Pro Slalom - Sunday, May 5th, 2024

Click Here for the webcast

Collagen

LOTW

• Baller

It's definitely the hip and trendy thing these days. Might be yet another case of enthusiasm outpacing the evidence. Then again, it's probably worth a try. The adverse effect profile seems pretty benign. It might work for you. If not, the only damage done might be to your wallet. 

• Baller

I’ve used it daily for about 2 years now. My joints feel better than they have in a long time. My hair and nails definitely grow faster. 

I don’t know if the reduced joint pain is fully due to collagen, but I’m a believer enough to keep using it. It’s certainly a “trendy” thing right now. Two scoops in the morning coffee and I actually think coffee tastes better with it now. 

Vital Proteins from Costco, $20-ish/tub when on sale. 

• Like 1

• Baller

I’m a big fan!  Over the last 3-4 years I had tendonitis in my elbows and shoulders. The tendonitis was caused by water skiing with statin intolerance. The tendonitis wasn’t as bad after I started taking collagen peptides.  I stopped taking the statins spring 2023 and continued taking the collagen peptides. My tendonitis is now completely healed. Sam’s club has Vital Proteins brand collagen peptides on  sale a few times per year. I buy the limit when it is on sale. The last time it was on sale they were $22.98 for 24 ounces. 

• Baller

I used a collagen supplement for year upon a recommendation from my trainer.  Didn’t seem to make a difference for me.

not sure there has been a medical study to prove benefit.  After all since you eat it, your digestive track is going to break it down anyways, so if you eating well it shouldn’t be needed IMHO.

• Like 1

• Baller

Worth a try I guess. The stuff I will be trying is a liquid, I wasn't aware of the pill but of course it's available. I try to eat well with lots of fruits, veg and meat but apparently your body produces less as you age so a supplement is helpful. Everyone is different but I hope it will help, I'll report my findings. 

I think collagen is a great add on, I do think the actual product makes a huge difference though. There are several different types of collagen out there from several different sources (bovine and marine mostly). The product I use is a liquid marine type 1 collagen that is sourced from a specific area and I fully stand by it. I also use a turmeric/tart cherry product daily to help reduce inflammation as well as adaptogens to lower cortisol levels. 

• Baller_

As a veterinarian, I try to "follow the science" - as stated in the article below, there are no studies that show eating collagen is effective.  The intestinal tract breaks it down and absorbs the amino acid components. I suppose if you eat a crappy diet and don't live a healthy lifestyle, collagen supplements may be of benefit, but just like glucosamine/chondroitin, these things don't magically get absorbed thru your gut in their original form and then go to your aching joints.  You get the same amino acids eating a healthy diet.

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/articles/23089-collagen

As stated at the bottom of the article: "In the meantime, you can always help your body make collagen naturally by eating a well-balanced diet full of healthy foods. A well-balanced diet includes chicken, beef, fish, dairy, eggs, beans, leafy greens, other vegetables, whole grains and citrus fruits. To improve damage to the collagen in your skin, don’t smoke, avoid second-hand smoke and wear sunscreen every day."

• Like 5