Johnny Matranga

• Administrators
Johnny.jpg

(Text by Cindi Thorne Dulgar)
Johnny Matranga passed away on March 8th, he was an influence in our lives, on the water and off. We met Johnny and Leora at a water ski tournament at One Way Lake, South of Reno NV. He visited with my parents and invited them to come visit Sacramento State and Winchester. He introduced us to Lisa Ford Eastman and Lori M Martin, which opened the door to me coming to Sac State to go to school and Ski on the Sacramento State Water Ski Team. Johnny was always a phone call away, if I needed a quick fix on my truck or a member at SWSC so that Sac State Skiers could learn how to Jump. When I was testing to get my AWSA drivers rating, he always said If I could drive him a straight path....I would pass the test 😅 He definitely had a "grip-it and rip it style" on the slalom course.
Johnny was direct in his communication and had strong opinion's at times 😃 His love for Leora and his family was evident. Rest in Peace dear friend, and Brian and I send our love many prayers for healing to Leora, Cyndi, Rocky, Tyler Benzel, and Tarah Mikacich, and the entire family.

THANK YOU for being our friend and mentor!
  • Like 1

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
1 hour ago, Horton said:

Johnny was absolutely one of the west coast OG skiers and an amazing ambassador for a sport. 

Yes ⬆️, couldn't say it any better👏 

• Like 1

• Baller

My dad was a friend and competitor of Johnny- he tells the story of when they were at the Nationals "back when"- my dad's alternator went out and he had to be back in the dental office by mid-day Monday with a long drive. No repair facility could touch it for a week. Johnny dove into it, found the part and they both missed their practice ride on Friday but Johnny got it fixed. They both skied poorly that Nationals. That is some amazing loyalty and friendship, as Johnny would be wanting to win any Nationals he showed up at. Our best to the Matranga and Benzel families.

• Like 3