Lets play boats

ReallyGottaSki

• Baller

Welp, my next boat project has commenced, and seems time to begin a photolog/discussion.

I can only hope a photolog remains for posterity,  However it appears my 351 build in ccfan lost its images, as well as my RCB build here lost its images, but alas! Lets play boats!

My 82 Supreme went offline two summers ago, just as my RCB project boat came online; its pylon was getting creaky and its old bones were just too soft.

Why bother one asks? because this boat consistently provided the best ski experience i've ever had. And not just for me but for the family and others. I embrace the challenge of improvement, making a mind-melting, unique old ski boat, making people wonder why such a thing is not available in 2024, 

I contend the 26-30 mph skiers got shortchanged in the incremental pursuit for record shortline performance. Then we ask where are all the new competitive skiers?  3000#+ boats cannot perform well in this realm, no matter the cost. Weight, with new draggy hulls create more propwash volume, that hump becomes the new 'wake' no matter how wide they make the boat.

aim it make it no heavier than before, add some spray rails, no wood. Coosa/1708/epoxy layups. Play with carbon engine cover and platform just cuz. 

Beware this is going to take a while, going to look worse before it looks better. we will learn new skills along the way. Will be much slower than the prior projects, i welcome your patience , interest and dialogs

IMG_20200604_091356188_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190921_082510957_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180904_070912590_HDR-EFFECTS.jpg

IMG_20200821_093906963_HDR~2.jpg

• Like 5

• Baller

Big project! Absolutely worthy. Enjoy the build.

Are you going to add ZO? Some things did improve with time. Old boats with ZO are magic. 

Do you have a link to the RCB build?

Eric

• Like 1

• Baller

Thank you both,

@eleeski I don't see using zo on this, but will get pp w/zbox.   The engine is enhanced, snappy responsive with strong midrange , the boat is light, i hear this is a combination that works well together with that system. 

here is the link to that RCB build.

I had just started rebuilding the images after the site migration, but then suddenly the thread was no longer editable, i regret not acting quicker. 

• Baller

Deck came off last spring, but then the hull sat outside for rest of the year.

Here it was brought inside and the floors were zipped off. 

An oscillating tool is the best low-dust, fast solution for demo, just chase the blade with the shop vac as one goes.

IMG_20240215_125959.jpg

Stringers removed similarly

IMG_20240215_193053885_HDR.jpg

All fittings removed, Grindy grind grind

IMG_20240306_183430016.jpg

• Like 6

• Baller

@ReallyGottaSki are you using coosa for the stringers too? Do you have to then laminate a bunch of pieces together to get the required thickness?  Will Coosa accept lag bolts for motor mounts are do you have to come up with a new design for motor and trans mounts?

• Like 1

• Baller

@DvarianDan Johnson thank you, i can appreciate your enthusiasm!

@Dano  Yes, Coosa for stringers, laminated 3/4 bluewater 26.   I will do 2 ply everywhere with a third ply for 6' long from behind trans to ahead of the pylon

No, coosa does not accept lags or hold screws well like wood does. i don't have a complete solution for the vertical lags yet, but will now also utilize the holes that transverse the stringers for  through-bolt fasteners, these mount fasteners were often omitted 

I considered an aluminum cradle for a time but have not dismissed it entirely yet

here is my drawings and cut plan for the stringer coosa.

one note is it suggests one can fab stringers for a 19'  ss/mc/centurian or similar from a single sheet of 3/4. An sn could need wider cuts than a single sheet can provide

my third ply necessitates getting into a second sheet of 3/4

IMG_20240302_164420145.jpg

Transom, plywood removed and ground down

IMG_20240311_164956395.jpg

Bottom section, first traced onto paper with a sharpie, cut the 1/2 coosa with jig saw and routered a 3/8 radius bevel 

here wetted with 2:1 , then thickened epoxy sandwiched and clamped with throughbolts and fender washers, wood blocks 

IMG_20240312_184742012_HDR.jpg

Upper section of 1/2" bonded similarly, then filleted the next day.  the 1/2 bluewater 26 conforms to the transom arc well with a little clamp pressure. 

IMG_20240319_174858378_HDR.jpg

next day, 1708 cut and bonded. For a good layup the 1708 is so dense it first needs the substrate  wetted, then its chopstrand side wetted, then of course its topside wetted.  polyester would sink though the fibers fast but epoxy not so and would result in a dry layup.

the transom firmed right up solid  after this 

IMG_20240320_190143173_HDR.jpg

The doubling at strategic locations did not need precision cuts,  and the rudder reinforcement was duplicated. similarly bonded with thickened epoxy, filleted, and glassed in one evening.IMG_20240321_190154660_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240321_174441497_BURST000_COVER.jpg

• Like 2

• Baller
5 hours ago, ReallyGottaSki said:

I considered an aluminum cradle for a time but have not dismissed it entirely yet

@ReallyGottaSki - I would definitely encourage the aluminum cradle. My 92 has the aluminum frame (box) that sits inside the stringers (and bolt through) with the four pedestals then for the mounts. Maybe this was a more common approach for older boats that I'm aware of  - but I haven't seen it in others. Will send you some pics as I'm doing spring maintenance and clean up on it now anyway        

• Like 1

• Baller

Good to see you bring this one back to life. I had Ski Supreme promos in the 80s. My 83 and 84 were great boats. Sharp looking, beautifully appointed, drove well.  Best wakes in the business at that time, low, soft, no rooster tail.  Downside, tiny trick wake, ha ha. Keep the pics coming. 

• Like 1

• Baller
On 3/25/2024 at 1:26 PM, DvarianDan Johnson said:

Will send you some pics as I'm doing spring maintenance and clean up on it now anyway 

@ReallyGottaSki sorry to be slow . Just now getting time for Spring maintenance and clean up. Attached are a few pics of the metal box in my 92 Hydrodyne. 1/4 inch thick stainless steel 3 sided box that sits inside the stringers, is bolted through the stringers, and with four square pads for the motor mounts. The pylon as shown has its own 3 sided box as part of this frame. The pylon has a bolt the runs up into the pylon from underneath as well as the U bolt shown. Entire structure is extremely strong. Re-doing an old  boat I would definitely go this route. Your project is amazing!      

Mount 1.jpg

Mount 2.jpg

Mount 3.jpg

Mount 4.jpg

• Like 2

• Baller

Adjusted trailer so the Borrowed laser level can set a consistent floor height based on best fig'rin.this step critical to get the stacked heights correct for the top of stringers to be right after scribing them to the hull so the deck and inner gunnel will all line up again. 

IMG_20240403_165540493.jpg

• Like 2

• Baller

@DvarianDan Johnson no blushing problems yet.

On the response we used totalboat without issues, on its floor.

Then i got system 3 supplies for the supreme. We ended up first using that system 3  on the outboard Sanger barefoot, floor encapsulation, and coosa bulkheads. All from my regional fiberglass supplier.

Lately we did the  stern of the supreme, using up the remainder of the totalboat.

Remainder of the supreme will be system 3

Im happy with it, because its basically odor free compared to the totalboat. I think my face looked flushed last time i finished up the totalboat. System 3 no reaction 

• Baller

I could a bit Dan,

Its quite the engine.  five years ago it was a 38 yo tired 351 about to drop a valve.   I didn't have the means to overbore and pistons for a fresh seal, but compression was still good.

I gave the lower fresh bearings, seals, timing chain, oil pump.    Camshaft clevite 214/224 112 lsa   modest .480 lift.

upper is twisted wedge 170 as -cast runners , with machined combustion chambers at 58cc.  with the stock pistons CR is now 9.3

lifters from lunati, scorpion std 1.6 rockers, and i measured for the right pushrods

Intake is Edel performer, due to height couldn't go bigger.  but i port matched to the heads.

Front cover is now aluminum, so running a johnson crank pump (can i say that?) vs the sherwood. 

found some ss commander manifolds from the eighties.

all told 141# off the engine

lets just say it gives 'spirited' performance

its weight to HP exceeds a new prostar with the 6.2, by a whole integer

digest these times and distances, and extrapolate what time and distance to 36 may be. 

it does all this on 87 gas, and uses less of it than all the boats we ski.

And the colors came out a bit, steampunk

Boat will do 49.5 with three aboard. its done 52.5, but i think it was getting air on one side.

it could use bigger carburation so it likely has more in it.

I would build similar in a moment.

some day it will get the right pistons and zero-decked,  but till then, 

Screenshot_20210720-121906.png

IMG_20190430_204739941.jpg

• Like 5