Ski Like the Pros - Rob Hazelwood, Malibu Open Finals 2023

• Baller

Loved it...especially the drone shots to compare with boat-cams.  

as for the next comparo...anyone else on syndicate team would be great!  That said, preference here for JT or the Tower.

• Like 1

• Baller

Edit: just finished. Superb analysis. The synced drone shot is invaluable. Well done.

I'd love to see an Ali Nicholson analysis. She seems flawless up until super short line. Straight as a board through turns compared to someone like Freddy who I feel is compressing and moving like a spring. But I also don't know what I'm talking about so if MB could step in that'd be great lol. 

• Like 2

• Baller
4 hours ago, MarcusBrown said:

Thx for the feedback everyone!  Sounds like people are hungry for some LFF skiing....I've already gone ahead and filmed a bit more....including some left foot forward skiers.

More to come!

Dane or Cole McCormick?

• Baller

@MarcusBrown A really well executed presentation. I am at the low level struggling in the 15off world, despite this you were able to give me valuable insights for now, plus elements for my road map ahead whilst you targeted skiers at a much higher level. I love the way you used the slow motion and then went back over again after making your points, In particular your free hand drawing to make sure your points were clear. The drone shots linked to boat cam took this to another level. I am steeling your drawing technique of shoulder line and centre of mass for my video analysis of my own poor technique, useful.

• Like 1

• Baller
Posted (edited)

@MarcusBrown love this, its great!

So when you worked on this with @RobHazelwood, what were the physical changes he needed to do to fix the issues?  What are his new keys?

For example is he going to focus on straightening his back leg to move mass forward or is he going to try to keep his shoulders higher from the water?  etc

What was his solution for coming off the handle too early? Did fixing the compressed body issue automatically translate into being able to keep outbound direction better? Therefore he didn't need to think about staying on the handle longer?

Thanks and hope to see more of this!

Edited by skihart
added Rob to the discussion

• Baller

@MarcusBrown this is awesome stuff.  Taking cues from the overhead view and compiling them to the boat view is incredible.  What I especially thought was useful is the way the spray changed from the ski when Rob let go of the handle.  This type of analyses is really a game changer!  Thank you. 

• Baller
On 4/14/2024 at 11:44 PM, skihart said:

@MarcusBrown love this, its great!

So when you worked on this with @RobHazelwood, what were the physical changes he needed to do to fix the issues?  What are his new keys?

For example is he going to focus on straightening his back leg to move mass forward or is he going to try to keep his shoulders higher from the water?  etc

What was his solution for coming off the handle too early? Did fixing the compressed body issue automatically translate into being able to keep outbound direction better? Therefore he didn't need to think about staying on the handle longer?

Thanks and hope to see more of this!

This was/is not a simple fix for me! I have a habit of squating to look for ‘balance’ and often when I get uncomfortable this happens on the gate glide and then obviously builds from there. My brain works quite literally so the main key has been just to not allow my hips/knees to buckle under/going into load and just try to keep my lower body strong. Another big part of it has been trying to be slightly more open out of the turn, this allows my shoulders to work with my lower body a little better to create the right leverage as to where I can hold my position better into centerline. 

the biggest challenge has been not resorting to overloading to fix the problem, I know if I jam my shoulder in and push as hard as I can my position will be better… but I won’t be able to maintain my direction off the second side. But if I try be too ‘light’ I get caught with the ski under me and my hips drop back again and legs become weak (pretty much exactly what happened to me at 41 on my gate in worlds prelims). So finding the balance to hit my position and still be somewhat progressive with my load had been the offseason goal pretty much. 

• Like 2

• Baller

For those that are unaware, @MarcusBrown does this type of analysis (not always with a drone, typically footage from the boat) on the twice monthly calls he and Jenny have with FlowPoint Method members, and you can ask him questions as he does it. Additionally, he analyzes your skiing for you. There is more to FPM than just getting fit.

• Like 4

• Baller

@RobHazelwood Thanks for sharing that.  It nice to see that Pros and Joes share the same struggles at times!

This type of analysis is great as it identifies the problems.  The second half of the equation is figuring out what changes to make in order to solve the problem.  The actionable items so to speak.

I know each individual has their own Keys that they focus on to achieve this I was just wondering what yours were and if they have made a difference.  Everything happens so fast in the course, its hard to focus on specific keys at times in order to make change.  I love seeing people who have their keys written on tape on the front of their skis.

For what its worth you are looking really good in the videos that has been posted by FPM and Syndicate this spring and seem to have resolved the issue @MarcusBrown had identified above. Hope you have a great season!