RS-1 Review

jcmccavit

I know where there are a few 67s out there that can be had. 1 is a black top and the other is white top. I may get 1 as a spare due to no confidance in the ski makers to come up with somthing better in the future. I hope the new Radar is as good or better then the RS1.

I think the ski companies are making changes just to make changes insted of making a ski that skis better.  

Anyone have insight to the performance aspect Radar is working to improve? With two of the top five finishes at Worlds the ski is starting to get the recognition it deserves.  For me, after my own comparison of several Skis including the Elite the RS-1 just felt better. This new Radar will need to give me 2 or 3 buoys over my PB in less than a week to get me to switch. 

• Baller

It's certainly the most bought and then sold ski at Okeeheelee this year. More than a couple of skiers got one and after a month or two got rid of them for consistency issues.  I demo'd one for two weeks and skied great and terrible on it (sometimes in the same set)...

For the right style skier, probably terrific. Just doesn't seem to be me.

• Baller
The RS1 is an awesome ski. Next to my Elite, it's my favorite ski that I've been on. Someone with good counter and core movement into the turn will love it. Behind the boat it is a rocket. I think that someone coming off of a goode would never like the way it skis, because it does carry so much speed past the apex. But someone coming off of an MPD or a Sixam SS would feel right at home. 

• Baller

Can someone PLEASE define to me the differences in performance between the RS1 and the MPD.  MS ??  I've read (or heard or been told or...) that the sweet spot is a lot smaller on the RS1 than the MPD making it less forgiving of body position mistakes.  True?  Also heard it's noticably faster than the MPD cross course (a plus IMO).  Turns about the same?  I love my now 3 year old MPD and have no immediate plans to pony up for another ski but some day she'll start giving up the ghost and I'd like some guidance on where to go from here.  Anxious to hear about the new Radar, the Z7 also intrigues me, hearing that the Elite is more a wide ride type ski ala the Z7 (even though not advertised as such) intriques me.  Too much intrigue, not enough info.

Ed

• Administrators

My 50 cents 

The diff is all Flex & Rocker - same mold 

RS-1 is flatter and softer.

RS-1 has most amazing heel side turn EVER - nearly impossible to screw it up.

RS-1 has finicky Toe Side - requires skier be very balanced - very easy to screw it up

RS-1 is faster (feels faster) but the MPD gets wide very easy.

MPD is more balanced for most skiers.

(Sorry Eddie, I just love the old ski)

Ed,

I only rode the MPD about 3 sets but loved it. To me the MPD feels real close to the RS1. I would like to see them side by side but I dont think there is much change. Eddie Roberts checks in here from time to time and he could give you the tech info, but to me they ride alike.

I was on my Monza at the time and nothing was getting me off of it. Now that I have some time in on the RS1, it is as fast as the Monza with sports car like handling. I have much better control on the RS1 then the Monza when it comes under the rope and carries out.

The one thing I can tell you is, do not sell your MPD until you know what you have with your new ski.

I do know where there is a black top RS1 67 and a white 68 for a pretty good price.       

• Baller

SIA Numbers

Looks like it tracks the volumn sold

HO           Connelly    Goode       Radar       Other        KD            Obrien      D3

82             40             38             23             21             12             21             35

Other = Kidder, EP, Iconn, Warp, Fischer, etc

• Baller

Finicky toe side is enough to count me out.  I have less issue with the toe side on my MPD (and also on my Theory FWIW) than anything I've skied since my last CR7.  Fought that constantly on the Monza I had before the MPD.  No thanks. 

I'm kinda like you Mark, thinking maybe I should just pick up a good condition 68" MPD as a backup to the current one just in case.  The day she dies is really gonna suck.

Ed

• Baller
The sometimes finicky toe side issue on the RS1 was completely cured for me by going to the Schnitz slot fin. That made the ski feel completely balanced like the MPD, but with a lot more speed behind the boat and at the hookup. 

• Baller

I'm still uncertain about the whole wide ride thing Scot, I'd need to ride a couple before forming an opinion.  I like the idea of a little additional surface area but I've ridden 30 mph wide rides since they first hit the market and I'm still unconvinced of how well the concept makes the transition to 34.  Obviously it works, maybe my vision of what constitutes a "high speed wide ride" ski is skewed by my experience with the slower speed versions (love my Radar Theory at 30 mph!).  Just need to ride one I guess.  Had a KD Evolution Carbon wide ride (1/2" wider CR7) that I could run 28 @ 34 on but never took it shorter due to it's tendency to get hang time off the wake.  Probably an operator error issue but unnerving enough for me to not want to push it farther.  Like to broke my freaking neck last fall trying to push the Theory to 34.  Felt pretty good at 32, at 34 I was WAY out of control.  Guess I don't know how what I know as a "wide ride" compares to the new generation of high speed wide ride skis.

I thought earlier that the Senate C might be a good option but was told it's a step down performance wise from the MPD (slower).  Obviously I need to go somewhere and test some different skis.  Maybe I need to make a pilgrimage to Horton's Mecca as a house guest for a few days...???  (Just joking John.  Seriously.)  I'm still hoping to get down to Rini's this fall, he'll have one of the new one's by then to try.  Might settle the issue.

Ed 

• Baller
I didn't think the Senate C was a step down from the MPD. It was different. Didn't feel any slower.  Definitely carved in tighter behind the ball.  That was 32 into 35 off and 34 into 32 off. I can't make any statements on performance any shorter. 

• Baller

A slot fin helped immensely the offside on my former '05 Monza but I still never got completely comfortable and confident on it.  First few passes on the MPD and it was all a distant memory.  I have a slot laying around here now, just nothing I need to use it on.

Ed