Nautique 200

rq0013

• Baller

I talked to one of the Big Dawg skiers at nationals who had a practice set behind it and he said at 38 off there was nothing there.  It was wider and so flat it alomost didn't exist.  He was thinking about getting one for next year but was concerned about the trick wake being non-existant as his kids trick.

I wonder how it would impact your pull?  While I don't ski at 38 off or deeper I am tuned to pull through the second wake.  If that isn't there I wonder how it would be to switch between boats.

How big is the market for 45K ski boats? That is probably a used Promo price. With the MC already there and Malibu close, taking out the closed bow 35K boat and adding another 45k boat the the list may tighten an already tough 45k ski boat market. Add up the amount of big 3 promo guys that will be selling 45K boats and it will be a tough sellers market.   

• Baller
I practiced behind one at nationals. It didn't feel any different to me, and certainly wouldn't justify the $71,000 sticker that was on the one under the tent. The layout was very cramped inside the boat. The engine box is pushed so far forward you barely have room for your feet. I had to sit sideways. The ski lockers are a very cool idea, but were very odd too. The locker wasn't even carpeted on the one I was in. It is still a very nice boat, and gives a very good pull, but so does the current SN, Malibu, and Mastercraft. It certainly didn't impress me enough to want to buy one, or feel like I would be missing anything if I did not. Seem like just a ton of hype.

• Baller
Won't miss a thing as long as your boat has ZO. Training behind a boat with worse wake characteristics should be to your advantage. Will be a ton of promo boats available this year at a great price due to the double whammy of economy and a new CC hull for the 2010 year. Sure seems to leave this year and last years promo guys in a spot. How long do you think CC marketing worked on the wake setup of the 200 before the video shot of the two boats side by side?? I think they put weight in the nose of the 200 for less wake and the tail of the 196 to bring it down in back for a bigger wake. I have no doubt it is better but come on!!! 

I am out unless we take up a BOS reader collection to help me come up with 17K to upgrade. I really dont think the market can handle that many 45k boats next summer/fall. By November of 2010, there will be lots of Promo guys at the big 3 taking it in the shorts even worse then they are now. 

Loose big cash selling 08 or 09, come up with ton of cash to get 2010, loose big trying to sell 2010 in a flooded market. I think I will let this one shake out and read about it on the sidelines. JD called this way back in 2008 and at that time the 200 wasnt even known about yet. Its worse then he predicted.      

• Baller

Then why are you selling your Nauti???

edit: i need to preface this by this is from MS, southern canadian dialect, eh.

by the way it's "lose" not "loose"

example: "this bet with scoke on Sept 25th, i am a sure thing to lose my wifes money."

"hopefully she doesn't have the purse strings too loose as I might get drunk and go for double or nothing."

• Baller

"this bet with scoke on Sept 25th, i am a sure thing to lose my wifes money."

Not that it's a complete sentence anyway, but....  "I" should be capitalized and "wifes money" should be "wife's money." /vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-wink.gif

• Baller

MS,

Like I told you, sell my '01 SN to someone up there looking for a price point boat and we can swap at Darwin's tourney. I would love to take an '08 off your (or someone's) hands.

I would like to know what the bet is. Might get in on some side action!

sj

2@38 down the line from 28. No practice sets an a 2001 Yellow CR7. Scoke wanted me to do it with a few pops in me. I could only do it sober. I dont know that anyone around could have driven in the center for me at that point or if JD would have let anyone drive his boat. That would have been you tube stuff.  

• Baller

more to the story: the bet was ever changing. He had 2 beers and claimed deeper down the line than that. Then his wife stepped in (southern candian high pitched female voice), "buuuttt MARRRK we don't have 50 dollars to lose!!!"

• Baller
I got to spend some more time in and behind a 200 today. The dash is really cool, the ski lockers are carpeted.  The engine cover is kind of funky, and is right on top of the passenger seats.  The center passenger seat comes out, and gives you a lot more room, if you don't  need the extra seating.  I jumped behind it today, and much like slalom the only way I can think to describe it is you don't notice anything.  You don't notice the wakes, the spray, or the pull.  Everything feels good, nothing feels funny, and nothing stands out.  It just feels right, but not a big difference than any of the current top 3.  I had to leave before they tricked behind it, so I'm not sure what it is like for that.  I'm liking it more and more, but I wouldn't sell my current boat and run out and buy one.

• Baller
Question for those of you who have seen the new Nautique 200, What do you like better, the closed or open bow? If the price on a new one is $71,000 that is almost triple what my dad and I paid for the 1994 Nautique we have. All of the boat companies are adding too much fluff. I would have a simpler interior with more floor space. If they don't sell any, they will drop the price. I will still keep my 1994 for as long as I am skiing. The manufacturers keep making the boats bigger which is canceling out the benefit of a bigger engine. I prefer driving a closed boat bow through the course.

• Baller

Thanks jwr for your review.  It made me think.   For something to be the best, it only has to beat the second-place spot by the smallest of a fraction.    So, more important is how far apart is best in class and next in line when assessing value.

If the 200 is $10K better than the next best boats, then it should draw the market share accordingly.    However, if it is slightly better in wakes, spray, and pull but not significantly different than #2; then is the price delta warranted?    

I haven't personally, seen or skied this boat.  I'm not in the market to buy a boat, much less a new one, anyway.   But jwr's post got my mind going about value when compared to available alternatives.    I guess the market will tell us this answer soon enough.    Does someone have access to new boat sales numbers for MasterCrafe, Nautique, and Malibu?    Will be interesting to see fall, winter, and spring market share and sales numbers.