Would a Beer Sponsor Influence your Spending Habits?

WadeWilliams

• Baller
East TX- All this time and I didn't know you brewed? Nice little setup there. Hot water tank on top for sparging into the cooler which would be an MLT and then a full 5 gal brew kettle? Hot setup! The SN in the background makes that a CLASSIC picture!

Joel, you in that hobby as well?

What can I say?  Living in a dry county forces me to be industrious.  

10 gallon HLT.  17 gallon MLT.  15 gallon boil kettle.  11 gallons into that 15 gallon corny keg on the left that I use as a fermenter.  The stand folds up into a 22" x 22" space (at the request of SWMBO.

Yes, I love that picture.  All of my hobbies are housed in the garage. Laughing

• Baller
I never got THAT far with the hobby, but I've brewed my share. Most of my beers are partial-mash extract brews. 5 gallon stovetop jobs. I have a couple friends who are full mash, hop growing, kegging, keezer-creating homebrew NUTS who have really taken off with the hobby.

• Baller

Hey guys, I brew too. My setup is all home made from old kegs which yields 10 gallon all grain batches. East TX, I envy your setup!

One thing I've learned in 20 years of brewing though is just how high quality all of the big brewery's products are. You might not care for their particular style but they really do make a high quality product. I'm fairly scientific and precise as possible with my own beers, but I have to admit that it's almost impossible for me to get the same results from batch to batch even on my favorite, most repeated recipes. That said, I never met a beer I didn't like!

Deke, a light American lager is the most difficult thing to brew in the world "because there's nowhere to hide the flaws."  My hat's off to Bud/In Bev for the repeatability of their process.  And from what I understand, the high gravity stuff they brew before they dilute on the way to the bright tanks is pretty tasty stuff.  The end product is not my preference, but I will say that their "American Ale" wasn't bad.  I don't have any doubt that those guys can make great beer.  At that size, I agree, it's pretty miraculous that they can have such repeatability with how malt and hops change from season to season.

Joeel, I've spent the better part of 8 years brewing in buckets (never liked carboys much).  I decided to go stainless last year.  That 15 gallon corny is a factory second.  So I got it at a bit of a discount (and much cheaper than a conical).  I just didn't want to worry with scratching the plastic anymore or splitting my yeast between two fermenters.  Plus, doing closed transfers to the smaller kegs by just popping CO2 and a jumper on there has been great.  Just cut an inch off the dip tube, crash the temp down to 32 F for a few days, and go.

And yes, total geek here.  Chest freezer with a collar (to accommodate the big corny) for fermentation, extra Danby for on deck keg storage, Summit two faucet kegerator in the house.  Tried growing hops for two years with no joy.  Just not an ideal climate here (too hot).  I've cut them back twice.  I may just dump 'em in the back yard near the fence and let them be.  Not going to worry with that too much though.

Did stove top partial mash for years before I went all grain.  Had somepretty great batches, too.  Going all grain really got me back into thehobby.  Takes much longer, but more enjoyable for me.

Mmmm, Helles.

Munic Helles

Beer traditionally is about 80%--85% water.  Let's say roughly 5% alcohol.  There is a small percentage of residual unfermented sugar, various biproducts of fermentation, and hop oils.  Of those ingredients, the water and hop oils are quite good for you.  The alcohol is helpful in small amounts as a bit of a blood thinner, but with excess becomes a negative.

So all in all, I think the no more or less healthy than soda/soft drink/pop (depending on your location) is not a bad way to look at it assuming no vehicles are involved.