Fin Settings 101? colder water & tail-riding?

ToddL

• Baller

1) As the water gets colder, what are the basic/typical fin adjustments that are recommended?

2) Also, I'm on a ski that is new to me 67" RCX.   I started with factory fin setting, then took a little more tip out due to stalling deep tip and breaking at waist on the off-side turns.   Now, the ski is on a rail around my off-side turns.   However, once I hook up and head into the wake, I always rock back on my back foot making myself narrow into the on-side buoys.  Thus, my on-side turns are rushed due to no cast out in the pre turn.  I am thinking that I am probably over compensating at the finish of the turn to avoid getting too deep on the tip.  Does that theory make sense?  Is there possibly something else at play?    Most importantly, do I need to take more tip out of the fin???  Or something else?

What do the fin-tweak masters out there do?

• Administrators

Since I do not ski in super cold water, I may not be the person to listen to on this but here is my two cents.

STOP! Don’t do it unless you are a very experienced skier and then I still want to discourage you. I suspect that among those adjust many adjust too often. If you insist on adjusting based on water temps I would suggest only two sets of numbers, a warm and a cold. If you try to do an adjustment every 10 or 15 degrees of water you will do more harm then good.