Ladies Ski

als2104

• Baller

Looking for opinions on a ski for the wife.

She's about 5'2" and 105 lbs.  Currently skis on a '99 KD 3000 64" with a Comp front and RTP.  She's been slaloming for a couple years and is starting to get into the course.  She can make the mini course at about 26 mph, but is on a mission to run the full course this year.  I'd like to be able to slow the boat down enough for her to run the full course, but also not drown.

Do you guys think the KD 3000 is still a good option or do you think an upgrade to a Radar Lyric or similar would help get her to the next step? 

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Alski

My wife is similar size and level. We tried many skis last year, the Lyric was one we wanted to try but sadly we could not get hold of a demo. Eventually settled with the O brien prima, HO approach and RTP bindings. We opted for the 66" just for a bit more 'stability' and ease of DW start.

She loves it. It is slighty pink, which was a criteria! She ran 4 buoys at 26 ( Big course)which was her pb,  happy bunny! I have to admit I wanted to try it! Quote..."you can really whip it through the turns and get a shifty on". Hmmm, maybe I bin the SS  and buy a prima, I would just have to tough it out on the dock, I can hear the banter now.

See if you can get a demo 

Roberto 

alski,

Instead of a wide ski or the like, just get her some length. If she were hitting 22off a 64 inch ski would be her size. Try the 66-67 range.

When my wife was skiing the INT I had her on an HO Odossey. I got may hands on a 65 inch 9100 and her skiing took off.      

• Baller

Thanks for the replies guys.

My main question is whether the KD 3000 is still "good enough" or whether I can justify buying a new ski and bindings for her.  Sorry Horton, but I definitely can't justify an Elite.

Anyone else in MS's school of thought that a little extra length is as good as a wider ski?  

I actually have an old 65" KD CR7 lying around somewhere.  How do you think that will work?

Thanks again

We have two of my favourite skis here one like-new used, and one is new. They ride fast, ski easy and are lightweight. Both are excellent upgrades to more modern riding v.s. the 3000. The Cr7 is a great ski too - the first of the higher riding, lighter skis made by KD->D3. But the biggest improvement you can make in terms of comfort and control/support is in the boot system.

D3 Custom 4 65" $300 with comfy & safe double Quattro release Hardshells $900

HO A1 65" NEW in box $595 or with choice of boots $1195.

http://www.jagersport.com/images/A1quattro2.jpg

I ski Dr. Hermann Nell and his 16 year old daughter is riding similar to the above setups and skis very well. Thanks

• Baller_
My wife is also 5' 2" and 105#.  She was on a 64" HO Esprit which she liked, then moved to a 63" IConn C6 and really liked that ski.  You can probably find one pretty cheap as it is an older and out of production ski.  It works great and have also heard confirming thumbs up from other people on it, I tried it and thought it was a very good ski.  No question, it is a fully capable course ski.  My wife also ran the mini course and played at 15 off full course.  Speed was 24-26 mph full course, 26-28 mph mini course, 32 mph open.

• Administrators

It seems like people assume that high end skis do not work for lower level skiers. In some cases this is very true but there are a lot of high end skis that work great at lower levels. My wife rode all kinds of silly low end skis I had around and then I had her try a MPD. I was like why the heck did I ever make her ride the low end skis.

Please guys. Stop with the CR7 worship. Compared to today’s skis that thing is unrefined crap.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller_

IMO, just about any Denny Kidder ski is the best beginner ski out there. The most critical feature of a "beginner" ski is that it is stable and comfortable for the skier. Of course others have great success with other brands, but as a rule of thumb, a Kidder/KD/D3 is the first choice.

MS is correct about the length. The 64 would be great if she was at 32-34mph. Bumping up to a longer ski, even as much as a 68, for the lower speeds will help her progress without sinking.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller
My wife is about the same size and was in the same situation two summers ago. She was on an older 64" KD 7000. After a lot of advice and trying a few combinations, we found a 65.5 D3 X5. She is really happy on the ski. She started running the full course at 26, then 28 in just a few weeks. The longer ski for slower speeds worked really well.

• Baller
Wife (5'3" - 118) went from a KD3000 to a 2001 HO CDX (first ski she made it through the course at 28 mph - 15 off) to a 2006 D3 X5.  The X5, by far, was the ski for her.  She looked 10 times more comfortable on the X5 and she was able to increase her consistency and speed (now at 32 mph) in only one year on the course.  I read somewhere that the 2005 - 2006 X5's were the best suited for women.  Don't know if it is true or not; but, it works really well for the wife. 

• Baller
I have a 1988 67" Connelly Concept with XL Double HO high wraps on it. Black with teal green and yes, pink trim. Great 34 mph ski for the XL "amazon wife." Any takers? Pristine condition. Connelly ski bag included. I promise not to tell the wife about the amazon marketing.

Girl to Girl skier.

I am 5' 1"  @ 115lbs. I skied on my CR7 65 for many years, and used it into running  34 -15 and started on -22 with it. It was great, however I tried the Rose X5 65, ended up buying it. The Rose is much quicker and grabs nicer in the turns. I have found it more stable and forgiving then the CR7 ever was. I find if I slow down to 30mph the ski doesn't respond as nicely in the turns as it does in 32mph or above. The Rose at 34mph is a dream in the turns. However my friend Sue loves the Rose and skies with it and starts at 26mph and is working her way up to 32mph with it.

Since I started out skiing the course on a Kidder 7000, to a Cr7 now a D3 Rose. I demo'd a few HO, always had problems skiing on them, they never felt like they would respond for me in the turns, like a Kidder or D3 did. I am going to get on a D3 Nomad again, to try it. I have tried it before at 30mph and didn't like it as much in the turns as I did the Rose, however now that I am skiing at 34mph, I would like to try it again, I know the Nomad is fast during your pull/wake from ball to ball.

Ski like a girl.