Which handle length and diameter do you use?

mike55

• Baller

Getting back in the water after a long hiatus. Seems like it wouldn't matter much at my level, like dude just grab a handle and go ski. But even at my level not worrying about grip is a good thing imho. Handle I wish I still had was a Straightline Greptile with the Greptile gloves. Standard diameter was a 1.1 (seems big) but combined with those gloves really worked in these muddy cold NW waters.

Would be interesting to see a vote of 12" vs 13" and the diameter if using round. Proponents of radius, elliptical and why. Maybe John will create a voting box so we can all see on this forum what's popular and working for folks in water ski land.

On a side note: looks like Masterline has their own version of the Clincher glove. Never used them and know some swear by them.

I use a 13" handle normally. Sometimes I use a 12" rental and have no trouble with it. I like the .940 diameter. I have pretty small hands (size M). I always used a bigger diameter handle until i started using glove liners. Now i just can't get all that glove around a bigger handle.

I started using the Mapple .940 12 inch or the standard 12 inch .940 from In-tow.  Then I moved to the Advantage ARS 12 inch .940 but it only lasted 1 season and I was looking at metal.

Last spring I had Brenda (in-Tow) build me a 12 in ARS, .960. It is perfect and it has at least another season on it.

• Baller_

I had Brenda do an 11", .980 diameter and had her tie it an inch short so I could bend it.  She puts a nice large loop at the end so it's easier to get the "ArmGuard" through.  I'm hoping to get a new 12" Radar, I think it's 1.125 but I'm not sure.  The bend helps my elbows, and I find the larger diameter bars work best with the Lock Gloves. The narrower width keeps the handle in and down where it belongs.  It's all about "handle control" these days.

• Baller
I have a 4 Straight Line TLS Radius which they don't make anymore. I am bummed out about that. It is by far my favorite handle. The best ropes I had were the Straight Line International series. I had a pair of them which lasted me 13 seasons. I like them because the end caps are small, and makes it easier to get your hand back on the handle. The bend in the handle makes it more comfortable in the lean.  I am going to be switching to Masterline ropes as I replace my lines. Straight Line ropes are not as durable as they used to be. I keep 4 slalom ropes and handles. I rotate them on each day of skiing. After every morning of skiing they get coiled, and hung to dry in the shade before they go back in the boat garage. Has anyone tried ropes and handles made by US GEAR? Their radius slalom handles looks like it would work for me.

• Baller_

I use a radius / elliptical 13" handle. Current one is the Connelly Prophecy, but also used the Accurate and Masterline. I get the elliptical handle and bend it myself on a pipe bender, very easy to do. A local muffler shop probably has a tube bender that will work. It takes a couple of tries as the spring back needs to be calibrated as you go, use an old one for reference as you go. I like small end caps, and I tried the Connelly for the small diameter line to see how I would like it, so far so good except the Y joint needs attention before you use the handle (the tubing ends chafe and cut the line itself at the Y). The bent handle keeps me from arm/elbow pain, so that's why I like them, and the elliptical bar is really a small diameter effect with some extra surface area on the palm.

Have tried and used the US Gear stuff, I liked it and that is where I tried the first bent handle concept. The wrap around handle does seem to offer a little extra forgiveness if you miss the grab and chaffe's less on the glove. I have a US Gear rope that I got really cheap and big surprise, it is very accurate so instead of a spare, it is the main one! They also have good bright colors so it's easy to see what line is set from your ski.

• Baller

Switched from the ARS to Brenda's handles 2 years ago, they are great. Currently use her 13'  with a 1" dIameter. Also use her optional rope protectors. Brenda will custom make you what you want. I also use her ropes with the sliding mini-loops. She even sells me the ropes starting at 32 off so you don't have to pay for all the 15, 22, 28, off lines if you dont use them. She is really great to work with.

Her e-mail is    www.jlbmfg.com

Phone # is       575-527-2917

PS: I also recommend the fabric handle guards from Randy at US Gear. Size Medium to fit Brenda's Handles.

USGEARONLINE.COM

• Baller

I have been using Brenda's handles now for about 10 years.  I use the 12", 1.03(std), strung with poly-e.  My glove size is XL if that helps. I tried a 1.15, but I felt like I was loosing the handle while I was skiing.  Not a comfortable feeling.

Brenda's handles last, and they are very accurate.  I wear kevlar gloves and I still get about 3 season's out of a handle.  When I retire them they still look pretty good, but for the stretch factor, and or breakage factor I prefer not to risk it.

Another plus for Brenda's ropes.  The way she has been tieing her take off loops the past year or two is AWESOME!  She tie's them so when you shorten the rope to the next take off section, you just slide the excess to the side.  When you see it, you'll go "well duh" but seriously I really like her current ropes.  I have her start my ropes at 22', mostly for safety.  I also like it when shortline skiers have her start at either 28 or 32 so you don't have that wad of rope in the boat.  

my .02,

Ken D.

• Baller
I have a 12" radius handle from In-Tow, 1.03" dia.  Been using the In-Tow handles for several years and never had any problems.  I bought a rope from her last year and for a few extra $, she'll add training loops in the rope.  I had her add 30', 33.5', and 36.5' off loops.  Service is great, usually get the handles or ropes within a week

• Baller

12" MasterLine, straight handle, standard stock diameter, with ArmGuard.    FWIW I only use 12" handles.  I had one 13" fold up on my hand years ago at the end of a hard onside turn, damn near didn't get free from it before the rope came fully tight.  The replacement bent on me the 2nd set I used it, just pitched it and went to 12".  I'll pretty much ski with straight or curved, whatever is in the boat, as long as it's 12".

Ed

All Masterlines, 3 12", 1 13" and 1 11", all radius except the 11" which is a straight carbon and all are .888 diameter. Preference is to the 12" radius .888  Have TW's arm guards on them all after nearly having my arm ripped off last year with a through the handle, if you don't have one, regardless of what you use for a handle, get an arm guard. I know, shameless plug for TW but these injuries can and do happen.

I'm probably the only guy here that has X.L. glove size and prefers a smaller .94" dia handle. But, the larger dia. fatigues my forearms badly. (even in the gym and one handed sledge hammer handles, etc...) I also prefer the Radiused 12". It seems to be more comfortable and doesn't tear up the palm right below the little finger as much...

• Baller

I've had the Radar handle for a full season now (using Masterline Kevlar gloves with it) and it looks like I have at the very least 1 more season left in it! I had one of the older Masterline handles that I had re-strung a couple times and this Radar handle looks to be the same quality as my old Masterline. If you're looking for a goode handle, I'd definately try the Radar!

• Baller
Mike55, you won't be disappointed, Brenda is awsome.  For those who have not dealt with InTow, Brenda is a one person show.  She is a single mother and has done the rope/handle thing so she could be at home to raise her son.  She is the definition of a cottage industry.  All her product is made by her at her house.  Her shock tubes and trailer boat guides she sews herself.  Finally, when was the last time you could call the actual person who makes you equipment, and then once it is done, it is shipped with a bill with it.  No money up front.  As long as Brenda keeps tying, I will keep buying.  OF 

• Baller
ive been using the radar strada handle most of this season after coming off an accurate ars. the rubber is definitely harder and more durable but not uncomfortable (i use '10 empires with liners). i have barely scratched into it. the rubber will be the last thing to wear on it. they are well made and will last me a few seasons.

• Baller
12" x 1.03 straight strung in spectra.  I also have been buying from InTow for 10-ish years and will echo what Off Friendly said.  A few years back Brenda was going to get out of the business for various reasons.  I'm glad things worked out and she's still building products.  Great customer service.

• Baller
12" Masterline custom radius 1.062. 2 years with 3rd coming up, minimal wear. Masterline Master Curve large gloves which last me about a season. I also use kevlar liners but I buy them at Grainger for about $3 a pair. Will try Brenda and In Tow for next handle.

• Baller
I use a 12" MasterLine radius, standard diameter.  I really like the handle but I go through 2+ a year, wearing them down to the metal on the bar.  ProGear gloves (Amara), no underliners.  Thinking about working an In-tow handle into the mix this year.