Head bands

• Baller

MS,

I think I could get you a headband.  Give me a buzz and I will check into some things for you.

I emailed you yesterday about this, not sure if you got it.

Let me know, I will hook you up.

THanks

Tadd

H2OProShop.com

• Baller
I had similar experiences with the "commercial" headbands that are out there.  My wife was kind enough to get some heavy duty velcro and some neoprene.  She simply cut the neoprene into strips about 1 1/2 feet long and about 2 1/2 inches wide sewed the velcro onto the ends of the strips.  The velcro is the width of the strip and about 3 inches long.  I have used one of these for over a year and they stay on my head on probably 99% of my falls.

• Baller

Teamalibu - you should check out the goose tape. It's bigger and stronger than the duck tape.

MS - if you want ear and cold water protection, have you considered an O'neill surf cap? Good protection and warm for the early season, then switch to plugs or headband for the warm weather.

• Baller

MS, I would stick with the headband.  My experiences with my 2 ruptures was it was the initial blow that caused the rupture and the headband absorbs that blow without any problems.  I've been skiing with a headband of one type or another for over 15 years without blowing out an ear drum.  This is after having a blowout each year in the previous 2 years before the headbands.

While I was healing up I used wax earplugs to keep the ear canal dry.  These plugs were air and water tight but I was always concerned that in the event of a hard fall, that initial blow could hit the plugs, compacting the air in the ear canal and cause another rupture.  My fear could be overblown but it sure seemed to be possible.

Plus with the headband you get to have, what one of my buddies describes as a gay euro trash look while you're working behind the boat. Very stylish.

PBD,

What are you using? I agree on only using the head band. All mine happen on impact from a head slap to the water. The head band would protect that.

If we could draw up enough interist, we could get Eagle to start making and selling them.     

Consider memory-foam earplugs - I prefer "Quiet Please" brand available at Walgreens or WalMart - along with the headband.

When i broke my eardrum a few years ago I didn't realize it right away.  At first I thought I just had water in my ear, so I squirted in some of the stuff swimmers use to dry out their ears.  This stuff consists of alcohol and a buffer, and believe me when you squirt some of THAT into a broken eardrum it'll get your attention!

So the ear doctor diagonosed a broken ear drum and gave me some antibiotic drops + pills; told me to not ski for six weeks.  I explained our realtively short season and told him that wasn't going to happen.  Skied with one foam earplug and a headband and never looked back.

TW

• Baller

MS.  For a description of the headband I use look at my previous post earlier in this thread, it is a homemade version.

TW.  Regarding your experience with the rubbing alcohol, I've been there done that. It does get your attention.  The doctor who treated me indicated that my inner ear looked "a bit angry".