Clincher style gloves for medial epicondylitis?

MrJones

• Baller

I am having some major elbow issues at the moment. Thought the offseason and some rehab would take care of it, but I'm 2 sets in and having problems already.

Curved handles were discussed at length last year, but I don't remember if anyone brought up the use of "clinchers" and if they helped. Looking forward to your feedback.

• Baller
I am a die hard clinchers guy.  I couldn't go back to a normal glove.  They do really distribute the load to your wrists and forearms; but, I am not sure if that would relieve the elbow issue.

• Baller

I had golfers elbow, and I've had some sucess with the strap used for tendonitis.  The one I used was made from neoprene, had a padded pressure point, and did well in the water. 

What about the Power Vest?  It seems like that might bypass the elbows altogether.

• Baller

One or two sets on a straight handle and my slalom elbow lights up. Bent handles are critical to me - even if they cost me a couple of buoys. Extended weight lifting (carrying a suitcase for a long walk) also aggravates the elbow. I did not get diagnosed so I don't know if my elbow isue is the same as yours. I have lots of calcified arthritis so maybe I'm different.

I do use Clinchers (with wax and extra holes poked in the webbing to enhance the grip even more). I also take shorter sets now. I've been struggling with elbow issues for 15 years. The Clinchers help a bit by letting me relax my forearms some.

The first couple of sets on new Clinchers or Masterline clinchers feel slippery. Paint on some wetsuit glue, poke some holes or rub on some surf wax to make the feel acceptable. I also rubber band the webbing to my fingers to aid the release of the handle.

Good luck,

Eric

• Baller

This has worked for me in the past.  A little better than the neoprene as I have tried those too.  I'm hoping mine doesn't flare up again this year.  Oh, I'm talking golfers, & or, tennis elbow.  Might be different than what you have going.   

http://banditelbowbrace.com/

3 years ago was the first time and I couldn't get rid of it.  In the off season I rehab'd a little and basically rested for 5 months as we can't ski around here in the winter.  The following year nothing.  Great, thought it was behind me.  Then last year early August it showed up again.  I was not happy.

Can't comment on the clinchers, sorry.

• Baller

I've had luck in working through elbow pain by religiously following a simple stretching exercise. 

Extend your arm out in front of you and put the palm up at a 90 degree angle.  Like a traffic cop signaling a car to stop.  Gently pull back on your fingers, stretching out the muscles in your forearms.  Flex your wrist so your fingers are now pointed at the ground and again pull back on your fingers.

• Baller_
Scot - Clinchers are clumsy, and feel very awkward with the external strap, but my Radar "Lock" gloves do the same thing, only the dowel is smaller, the strap is built inside, and they are less cumbersom.  However, the word is that they're going out of production after 2010 so you better buy a couple pairs while you can.  Take your handle to someone with a shop press, and put a little "bend" in it, or call Brenda and have her tie you up a new bent handle, and hopefully your elbow issues will go away. Mine did.

I have elbow issues, both elbows. I believe that years of using Clinchers are the reason.  

When you fall the handle has to be pulled from your hands due to the dow pin. When this happens all the ligaments are stretched, just grab you fingers and simulate the handle being pulled from your hands…hurts like h*ll

I use a curved, large diamater handle, this only helps. I also stretch my wrist before skiing.

PBD is dead on.

That and squeezing a tennis ball size soft ball. Not a tennis ball but that size. A hand ball is perfect.

I watch Scot ski all the time and I know he is not taking slack shots. I did get mine from hanging on to to much slack at 35/38 which is stupid.

Hanging on to all that slack to get to 4 ball instead of falling at 2 or 3 is stupid.

• Baller

Brad,

It is my "palm up" side, which is the norm. I am going to try the switch grip and see how it goes. I did it once when Lucky did a clinic at our lake in Oklahoma years ago. Seems I used the "new" grip out of one ball, grabbed it trick style out of two, and got back to my normal grip out of three. Hopefully I will do better this time. 

I also have Skidawg sending me a set of clinchers to try and I ordered a set of Radar Locks from Eddie. 

Least attractive choice would be the powervest. I would hate to have to make fun of myself on the dock for wearing it, but a man may have to do what a man may have to do!

• Baller
Richard, lookin at ordering up a couple pair of the 'Lock' gloves through Active Water Sports. Been wearing medium Talon's although they seem a bit small even when wet and definately a non liner size. Snow ski gloves on the lrg 10/11 side. These 'Locks' runnin small on size?

• Baller

Scot,  Having been threw a nasty bout of golfers elbow a couple years back, I can empathize w/ you.  That pain sucks.  I thought the pain would go away in the non-golfing/non-skiing winter months, but it never did.  My experience required me to seek physical therapy to get over it- after I got tired of wearing the forearm band and chomping down ibuprofen.    For me  PT consisted of icing, stretching, massage, electro stim.   I suppose cortizone is another option you may wish to discuss w/ your dr.

If you can get rid of it, get on a stretching program so it doesn't come back.  If you have access to P90x tapes, the "X-Stretch" video has a few decent forearm stretches in the early part.

On a more humorous note, my coworker (who is a very strong golfer) became unable to play last year, after getting elbow tendonitis from playing too much Guitar Hero w/ his wife (after kids went to bed).  He embarrassingly ended up in PT, where he was immediately diagnosed w/ "Heros Elbow".  Apparently it has become quite common.  There was a big league pitcher who missed a playoff start a while back because of "Heroes elbow".  Presumably his employer was none too happy.  

Good luck finding the solution. 

• Baller
Yes, I have used the prolocks and the clinchers.  I like the clinchers better.  The prolocks fit a little loose and fingers are a bit short, where the clinchers are snug all the way around.  But for those with short, fat fingers, the prolocks may be perfect.  Even though the fit is not as perfect, they work just as well as the clinchers. 

• Baller
I got a pair last fall and they fit better than my old Clinchers. Guess I must fall into the "short finger" category. They seem to be made better and have double velcro strap on back. Not sure if they'll help elbow problems, at least they don't help mine.

I have had a rt. elbow problem for yrs. I must at times use a Nike adjustable band. From Academy sports.

But, the best things that I have found for preventitive maint. is:

#1. a SMALLER dia. handle. allows a better finger grip while relieving forearm Tension from "clutching" the handle. Thicker dia. pull up bars and Gym handles will cause problems for most people as well. I have X.L. hands and Love a .94" handle.

#2. radiused handle

#3. Reverse your present grip. (it helped me...)

#4. Learn to ski with much less "Grip tension". (women do not typically have the brute force of a man, yet they ski incredibly w/o it!)  tension will kill the pass and the elbow... (this is what clinchers do, but they do not force you to learn to ski lighter on the handle ...)

#5. A Good routine for full range movements and stretches for the arms, shoulders and wrists. In season and off season. (This can easily be achieved while working out, if you impliment the right exercises and stay consistant regardless of work, skiing and/or life...) ***This is surely the most profitable tip. But, not too many people want this kind of commitment added to their already over whelmed life!