New SN200 Wakes

Ed_Johnson

• Baller

Just skied behind the SN200 for the first time today. Best tracking boat I have ever driven. Construction, fit and finish were excellent. Even my Wife was ready to buy it. However, when I skied behind it there was a noticeable BUMP in the Center of the Wake. Skied it at 32, 35, and 38off. The bump was right there at every line length. My Daughter felt the same thing at 28 & 32 off. Felt really different from our 05 LXi were use to.  Right now we agreed to wait for the 2011 version in August to see if they correct or improve this.

Anyone else experienced the same thing. A friend of mine who has a CC196 thought it was great so maybe it's just a CC characteristic.

Appreciate any constructive comments.

Thanks, ED

• Baller

Might want to try a different one could have been a problem with the slalom gate adjustment.  I don't mean operator error just the gate may not have been closing properly.

I was spotting a friend of mine skiing behind a 196 with the gate.  The driver didn't have it set right.  Big difference with it open probably would be more subtle if it were out of adjustment.

• Baller

I know this probably has been discussed at length in the past so please forgive me, but as a MasterCraft owner, and a brief reader of the rules how is the "gate" legal on the Natiques?

I was at the Atlanta boat show this year with 3 former Senior Judges and we all looked over the new Natique 200, and while we did not have the rule book in hand, we all thought we remembered a boat is not to have any adjustable hull modifications/adjustments while underway.  Isn't this what tainted Tige'?

We could see where a dishonest driver could easily "adjust" the gate at any time in the course to a skier.  It just doesn't seem like the gate is legal to my loose interpretation of the rules?  And please, sorry, I bet this topic was discussed to death when the gate first came out, I just missed those threads.

Thanks,

Ken D.

• Baller

Bill,

Thanks for the response, you bring up a good point about the Hydro-Gate. Prior to launching the boat the dealer and I went over everything on the boat including the gate and how it looked full open and closed. It seeming to work as it was supposed to. When driving the boat we also hand set it at 34mph and cycled the Gate on and off to see the differences between the Slalom and Trick /Jump wake. What is interesting is the boat gained about  2 1/2 MPH with the Gate opened. With the Gate closed in the Slalom position, the nose goes down, there is a little bit of vibration, and it seemed to take about 200 RPM more to hold the speed.

I feel they could make a better hull modification than having a flat plate close off the tunnel causing drag and vibration. If it would not have been for this bump in the wake we would have bought the boat. We loved everything else about it. Fit, finish, tracking are superb. A Caveman could keep this centered in the course with a shortline skier.

Since the 2011s will be out in Aug. we are still making this our number one choice if there are improvements to the Wake, otherwise we will get another Malibu LXi.

Thanks, ED

Granted it was my first sets of the year, but I skied 4 sets behind the 200 and did not notice any differance in wakes. I skied at 28 and 32 off only.

Drives better but wakes feel the same. IMO, you cant improve on the 196 slalom wake.

My wife took 2 sets at 15 off, 30 mph and said that there was a big differance in how it feels. She loved it and wanted to bring it home.    

• Baller

I like our 2008 LXi it is a couple hundred pounds lighter than the CC (according to mfrs. specs) and is pretty stingy on gas which is important when you carry it out to the lake each time you go five gallons at a time.  Our 2006 Malibu used to want a little more than five gallons each time:( 

I could do without the poor quality chrome plating Malibu uses.  It would look better with metal flake paint or plastic than really cheap silver bling that doesn't hold up.  Otherwise I really like the boat and the wakes are as good as anything else I have skied behind. 

Oh yeah one other thing.  The LXi has pretty good freeboard forward so it is a little easier to avoid dunking the bow although that is not an issue at our sight.  If you use it on open public water it could be a factor.

Blah, blah, blah I guess I'll shut-up now...

• Baller
I don't pick up my 200 for another week or 2, but in my limited skiing on it last year I noticed a big difference at slower speeds and longer line lengths. The feedback I heard is that the bump people were accustomed to a -22 / 34mph from the 196 moved up to -28.

• Baller

Bill,

Could you please tell me if you noticed any difference in Wakes from your 06 to 08 LXi, especially at 30, 32, &34. I believe it was 07 when they made a hull change from the Diamond Hull to the Cut Diamond Hull. Appreciate any comments you may have with your 08....Thanks,  ED

ScarletArrow,

It appears that 196 Skiers love the 200 wake and never noticed a difference, I pulled 2 of them myself while I had the 200 here. The only ones to mention the Bump were Malibu and MC owners like myself.

Would like to hear your evaluation when you get some time on your boat. especially the difference at different speeds.

I am going to ski with Andy M. the middle of April so I will find out a lot more then.

Thanks for your input,  ED

• Baller

Ed, In my view the '08 is like a different boat wake wise.  I am very sensitive to the bump due to tendonitis in my right knee.  The '06 was very hard on me at -22/34.  The first time I skied behind the boat I thought we had made a big mistake buying it.  The '08 was completely different in a better way at -15 & -22.  I don't tell a difference going back and forth between it and the late model 196s at our lake at any line length.  I can't say much about the lower speeds because or group only occasionally goes less then 32 mph but my ski buds grandson seems to do OK at the slower speeds slaloming <28 mph.

One thing I notice about the new version of the LXi it is more weight sensitive.  We ski at a private site many times without a spotter so we keep 100 lbs of play sand under the observer's seat.  In my view the boat is better with at least two riding (driver and spotter) and is not bothered by a third if you take the sand bags out. 

This is going to start sounding like a Malibu commercial but here it goes.  This boat steers like a dream with very little counter on the rudder.  It is easy to drive down the middle of the course and turns both ways with a light touch on the wheel.  It literally feels like it is has a power booster on it.  I had a chance to pull Kyle Tate (Big Dawg) at our site with the boat and he had no complaints about the pull (PP classic) or the tracking.

To be fair I haven't touched or skied behind a SN200 so can't offer any comparisons. 

Bill Gladding

• Baller

It's funny that we are all so different in our perceptions of the wakes.  I like the 03-06 rlxi wake MUCH better than the 07+ hull. To me, the 07+ hull has a wake that feels like it's as tall as the boat. 

Typically, prior to the 200, the CC's have all felt the same. Unlike the MC, which is consistently inconsistent between boats.  Hopefully CC is going the MC way on that. 

• Baller

Bit of a threadjack but anyone had problems pooring 5 gals can in the 200?

We demoed one last fall and spilled some gas all over the transom while filling it...

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller
Even the 196 filler hole...all the way back to at least '05....won't readily accept a 95% normal gas can nozzles.  What's up with that?  And don't say it has to do with being "fool proof" so you can't put a deisel gas pump nozzle in by accident.....

• Baller

I have skied 4 different 200s now. My take: I open at 28 and that wake has a bigger bump than any 196 I've skied behind. 32 feels about the same as the 196. 35 is very flat all they way across the wake and feels better than the 196 to me. I only tried 38 once, but thought it was even better. Other skiers I have discussed this with think the major difference at very short lines (38 and in) is that the wake is flat without the dips at the edges that the 196 has.

Last Sunday I skied my first set behind my 2002 SN and my 2nd set behind a 200. The first set was all 28s while with the 200, I moved on to 32 after 3 passes because I don't like the bump at 28. I've been told by longer line skiers that the 28 is the worst bump though I have not tried the 22 wake myself.

• Baller

I had the opportunity to drive all three at a 3-event tournament this past weekend.  The SN 200 was probably my favorite from a driver's perspective but not by much.  The 197 and LXI were very nice as well.  Skiers ranged from 24mph to 38 off.  Most couldn't tell the difference between any of the three and what differences they did notice, were subtle in nature. 

Disclaimer - we didn't use the SN for tricks since no one had previous experience skiing behind it.

I inquired about the purchase price of all three boats.  The 197 was $6,000 less than the SNCB 200 - and it had a mini-tower!  I've owned Nautiques my entire life but if I had to buy a boat today, it would be the MasterCraft 197.  (The blue metalflake graphics on the TT set it apart as well).

• Baller

I drove all three at the end of last year at Palm Bay. All were good with the tracking edge going to the 200. The LXI needed the seat to be raised about two inches was the only complaint (from all the drivers who drove it). Like anything else, setup is important. I drove quite a bit of practice at last year's Nationals at Okeeheelee and was not all that impressed with the tracking. I knew it had less rudder tork that I was used to though, but still didn't know how good it could be. Then I drove a tournament at Palm Bay with a properly set up boat, wow! Nothing wrong with a properly set up 196 (or MC or MB) either, but the 200 is better.

• Baller

I to have driven all three and skied them as well.  I like them all and depending what driver/crew  and who set up the boat.  It seems that if the boat is set up and sorted out prior to tournament time by a person who really understands what a good skiing boat should be, they are all good.  It then comes down to driver and crew weight.  I have skied behind a CC in one tournament and the wake was brutal.  The next tournament I skied behind the same boat and the wake was butter.  The first tournament all three crew members were 200 lbs or more.  The second tournament the driver was 160lbs and spotter and roper were around 110 lbs.  I have found this true for the most part with all three boats, although less so with the MC.  I can predict every year what boat will be good by who the owner is.  Some take great pride and setting their boat up.  Others just get the boat, throw it in the water and ski, with their first oil change at the end of the year, if you know what I mean.

I am a Malibu guy because I have always liked the BMW look/feel versus the Mercedes look/feel of the Correct Craft.  Ever since MC went with the Escalade bling look I kind lost interest in them.  Now that Malibu has also gone that way, I am loving on the CC 200 with the look I liked with Malibu and CC quality. 

If the $$ was not an issue and I bought a new boat today, it would be the CC 200.  I like the interior and driver set up, the way the boat looks and the quality.  If money was an issue, which it is for me, I would order the lightest Malibu LXI (No bling), with the quietest exhaust, raise the seat up, load the rudder and call it good.  Because even that boat is more than I can afford, I will stick to my 05 Malibu LXI with Stargazer and run 16.95's all day long....OF 

Ed,

I own a 00 LX, The guy I ski with has promo'ed Malibu for about 15 yrs. Usually ski behind it 6 sets a week. Wakes never been a problem w/his boats. Mine's more nimble but the bigger HP and ZO that the cake.

Tracking, accelleration, etc...non issue's...I don't like the bling dash but haven't been blinded by glare 

• Baller

The 08/09 Malibu's I have driven track really well.  I don't trick, but my son seems to think the newer boats trick about the same, but he is only a 800 to 1000 point tricker though.  As far as the wake, I think the newer Malibu's have a bit bigger wake.  In looking at the boats I believe it is a product of weight with the ones I am familiar with have a little more bling or stuff on them than my 05.  More stuff = more weight, more weight=bigger wake.  That being said, I am splitting hairs, but you asked.  The only other thing I have witnessed is drivers giving too much throttle and the Malibu's coming in the course too hot and having a bad time.  I know many will dispute this, but I watched two bad times from the boat with a certain driver.  I drove the same boat right after in a class having the same speed, 55K, and did not have one bad time.  I was easy on the throttle never stopping the acceleration until I went a little past where the ZO took over.  I was taught this by a very senior driver and have never had an issue with overspeed, too much throttle or slow speed, not enough throttle, with any ZO boat.

All things being said, all that I have posted on this thread is from MY experience.  In the end, just give me a good driver and good times.  That is more important than the brand of boat.  I would rather ski behind RD's 92 MC with a good driver than any new boat and a marginal driver.   Now if I can get a good driver, good times and a new boat......well, that is Nirvana.......OF   

• Baller

Sounds like the SN 200 is not living up to its hype from what I am reading on here.  The last time I skied behind a 196,(2006) it had no wake. Just a trail of bubbles. The inconsistency in the wakes on different boats could be the lake conditions. For example I skied at Jack Travers in 2000 during a drought. I think his lake was down 4 feet below normal.  The bottom of his lake made the water fast. I was constantly blowing my fin out at 22 off 36MPH. The water was 5-6 feet deep with a rocky/sandy bottom. The same week I went to Bill Peterson's. The lake he was on was 15-20 feet deep. Never blew out a fin once. The only way to know for sure is to try out all kinds of boats on the same lake on the same day. If the boat is good enough to pass the USA Water Ski test at the time of its manufacture, then it is good enough for me. I have only skied behind new Master Craft 190's and 197's. 2008-2009 vintage. My 1994 Nautique can do the same job with 100 less horsepower. The only major difference I notice is, you can take more people along for the ride on the newer boats. I don't notice much difference in skiability, but the newer boats have more interior space.  From the pictures I have seen of the SN 200 and the specs. I am concerned that the boat weighs 2800 lbs verses mine which is around 2300 lbs. The manufacturers need to start keeping weight in mind, otherwise they will lose the benefits of the 300+ horsepower.  If I am going to shell out $40,000 + for a new boat, it had better completely blow my old beast out of the water. I have only slalomed once behind a 1993 Malibu Echelon, loved it..    It sounds like I am not as good as most of you guys on here (PB 2@35 off 36MPH). I personally don't buy that a closed and open bow ski the same. I would have to see that for myself.  Since I have not even seen a SN200 in person I can only use the MC 190, and 197 as a point of comparison. The MC 190 has a much softer wake for slalom than the 197, but I liked the 197 better for tricks. The wakes were the same size, but the 197's wake was a little firmer. What do you think of the guages moved from your line of sight from the driver? I still like have my speedometers/PP/ZeroOFF display in my line of sight while I am pulling a skier. 

I like the overall design of the SN200 from what I can see in the photos. I would rather have padded fold-away ski racks below the gunnels, verses the saddlebag compartments. How many of you would actually leave a $1000+ slalom ski in your boat all the time? I would'nt. My equipment gets put in my boat garage when I am done skiing for the day. I would rather have floor space when I am out on the water with a crew of slalom skiers and barefooters. I like the compartment/step in the back for soap and gloves, and the design for taking the back seat out. That would work well for me. I am not sold on the LINC system. I still prefer analog style guages.  The auto industry tried the computerized dash boards back in the 1980's, and it did not stick around long. The graphics are good, but could use a little more pizazz.. I was thinking for more striping options, and more options on SKI NAUTIQUE logo placement. I definitely like the closed bow version best. It is what a top of the line tournament boat should look like.. No skiing for me until my lake fills up, pray for rain over Mercer PA..  Off to the lake to detail the boat and replace some burned out trailer lights..

• Baller

Interesting comments on the 200 but we had a bit of a different experience.

Two weeks ago 4 of us skied behind a Nauti 200 closed bow for 23+ sets at varying line lengths and speeds.

Two female skiers running between 15-30 into 22-34 took 12 sets. I rode in the boat during quite a few sets and she never batted an eye at the wake, the pull or the spray. Her primary training boat is a 2009 196 but she loved the 200 more.

The other female liked the boat as well, from what I gathered, maybe her lurker husband will speak up. /vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-tongue-out.gif

I skied 5 sets behind the boat and loved it. If i could have stowed it on the airplane and taken it home, i would have. The boat felt very mild, not too strong but consistent. The boat didnt seem to turn as many rpms on it but it did have a different prop from the Acme 422.

If the price was not as high right now, i'd consider an upgrade but for my situation, not the right decision now.

The pics on the internet don't do this boat justice. The interior is beautiful while I was skepticla regarding the saddle bags and the "storage". I store nothing in my boat and wouldnt use the storage on this boat but they don't appear to intrude into the boats interior. The passenger seat is much more comfortable for two passengers compared to the traditional 196's seat.

I'd buy.

• Baller

I got a short trick ride behind a new one last weekend. It is a nice boat. Fantastic for slalom (in tournament at the end of the season I slalomed my year's best score - and it felt great!).

The table was better than the 196 but still a bit rough. I was able to toe trick OK on the 200 and I struggle on the 196.

The wake was tiny. There were 3 people in the boat but the boat was a bit light. I didn't get a chance to add weights but weights might be important. The wakes were steep enough - but smaller than I like.

It could be a fine trick boat. But the Mastercraft is technically superior in every respect as a trick boat for my tastes.

Eric

• Baller

As unbelievable as it sounds, the prop can affect the wake size, location and bumps.

On my 196, we have swapped 3 props. Each time the boat has felt different, a table or ledge was created then destroyed and the bump has moved a few inches. All for the better now and our RPM's have dropped another 150.

The 200 we skied, had a different Acme prop on it then the 422. Maybe it affected the 30mph-34mph wake for the better? It's a possibility.

• Baller
At 55K I plan to hold on to my 1994 Nautique as long as I can get replacement parts. I have never had to make any changes to it. I keep it at factory specs. I have never tuned the steering, or changed the prop. The only change was PPSG in 2008. I still use the version that takes the paddlewheel reading.  I was thinking a shock tube may help stop the rope from snagging on the hinges on the SN 200. Am I the only one who still uses a shock tube? Was the base model 55K, or is that the loaded version? I think they rounded the back end to keep the rope from catching on the back corners when you circle to pick up a skier, design cue from 1997-1999. I would like to see a teak wood platform be available. I am afraid to see what I fiberglass platform would look like after a 1000 hours.

• Baller
If I were buying a new boat. I would get a single axle trailer, closed bow, 350 horsepower engine, bare bones stereo(preferably no stereo), ZeroOff, dripless packing gland, and a 12volt plug. I do use a fat sac and extended pylon for kneeboarding.  Heaters and showers are a waste of money. Analog guages. I would stay away from the computerized dash(LINC system) I think is what they call it. The auto industry tried it in the 1980's and it was a disaster. With all the bling they are adding to boats these days I am waiting for a boarding platform that flips up and becomes a plasma screen TV.

• Baller

All of the sticker prices are very inflated.  If the cliche' "patience is a virtue" is one you can apply; hold off for a promo boat.  I bought a 2009 MC 197 TT last fall for well below sticker and I see there are still a lot more out there to be had.  I am sure that 2010 will still be a buyers market.  A promo boat with 100 hrs is as good as a new one; if not better because most of the time all the issues with new boats are uncovered within the first 100 hrs, and a whole lot less expensive.

• Baller
Richard mentioned the cooler full of hot water last year, so we tried it and it really is the key to cold weather comfort. I use a 6 quart drink cooler with a spout on top. Remove top to dip in and warm gloves, hands or one foot at a time. Use spout to fill your RS-1s with hot water before sliding in.

I've watched Richard (and friends) using their cooler method.  The cooler they use is huge, and the trick is to fill it to the very top and set their skis upside across the rim for at least a minute or so.  The bindings hang down into the the hot water for as long as they need to get fully warmed up.  They will also stand with both feet (and lower legs) in the water, and can immerse both gloves (with or without hands inside) for as long as necessary.  It obviously works very well for them.

TW

• Baller
I would buy a used Nautique before I would buy a new Moomba. I only know one person here in PA who has a heater. Unless his was malfunctioning, it did not generate much heat. When the water and air get cold here we end up putting on drysuits. I wear cold water gloves in the spring.  If it does get cold enough we lift up the engine cover and use that to warm up. I am sure as the new model gets more established the price will come down. I may be able to afford one in 4 years. Unfortunately there are no Correct Craft dealers in western PA. Just like with cars, the first year of a new model always costs more. I would think boats would take more of a beating in the south because of the sun, and being used year round. My boat sits in a dark, dry, and semi-heated garage during the winter which seldom gets below 40 degress when the snow flies. Fortunately my boat is still in like new condition, and it is mechanically strong. If I did get a new SN200 I would get the skiing and maintenance necessities, no bling. I would order one with my color scheme..

• Baller

Here's another cool way to fill your boat with gas without spilling all over. A little spendier than a 5 gallon tank but it comes in really handy and you won't have to buy another one. The "Todd Gas Kart Portable Fuel Tank":

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/woeimages/Engine/TOD-51651.jpg

• 15 gallon capacity
  • 6' long hose approved for fuel use
  • Brass shut-off valve
  • Rolls easily on polypropylene wheels which are impervious to fuel and temperature variations
  • Molded-in handle

• Baller

I finally got to see a Ski Nautique 200 on the showroom floor. It was the open bow with the tower. The tower would definitely get in the way if you are a serious slalom skier. The back of the tower was close to 1.5'' behind the ski pylon.  Compared to my 1994, it is a BIG BOAT. The interior was beautiful. I am not sold on the dash. I like having my guages in my line of sight. The one I looked at was $62,000. The saddlebag compartments look like they could store 2 68'' slalom skis comfortably. The bow storage on the open bow had enough space to store the part of the passenger seat that fits in the windshield walk-through area. It looked like part of the observer seat could be disassembled into 2 pieces. It had most of the bells and whistles except for the LINC computer screen. It had analog guages. The trailer was similar to an EAGLE trailer, but I did not recognize the make. The gas cap is in the center of the stern. It does not look like it would be difficult to fill with a 5 gallon gas can. The analog guages looked good. All of the vital info is displayed in them. Temp, oil, fuel, tach, voltage, and speedometer were all in the two displays. Very solidly built boat like you would expect from Correct Craft.

I looked underneath. It looks like they used the 196 hull as a starting point, but the changes were obvious. Anyone know how fast it goes from 0-36? 

• Baller
EZ Loader makes inboard trailers? They were always good. The single axle trailer is all you need unless you plan to tow the boat on long trips. The one I was looking at had more stuff on it than I was interested in. Going from the 350-400 horsepower I would guess would be about a $6000 price difference(using Master Craft as a guide). I was looking at the hydrogate. When it is in slalom mode the plate is down, and in jump/trick mode it is up leaving the tunnel at the keel open. I thought it would have been the opposite. The keel section running the entire hull looked like the last version. At the rear of the boat, the chines taken out of the sides of the boat were still there but they started further back than the previous versions I have seen. The front part of the keel by the bow had some different changes that I never saw in previous versions. The parts that you would recognize as the spray relief pockets on the sides were gone. The flat part of the bottom had some different cuts and shapes to it too. Liked the way the back seat could be taken out. Just pull up on a handle to unlock, slide it forward and out. The sides of the back seat bottom rested on a very thick plastic track with a smooth surface, with the same material along the side of the seat bottom's frame. I saw the Big Dawg slalom webcast. It rides very high on the water.  The prop was not installed, so I did not get to see what the stock setting was. I hope I get the chance to try one out... 

• Baller_
I find it a lot easier to ski the shorter lines behind the older, PP boats. ZO won't let you get away with pulling too hard, or too long and will punish you with a OTF or just send you screaming past the next buoy. AM told us this summer at a clinic, "with ZO you need to start early, and stay there for the whole pass".

• Baller

Only two certainties in life: death and taxes.

Lots of guys are over 190 and having great success behind ZO while running a ton of buoys. My weight ranges from 192-195; i love ZO and wont ski on PP. Took two sets on PP last summer and failed miserably behind the boat. Went back to ZO and felt like i was alive again, rhythmic with the boat and using the boat as an energy source instead of trying to slow it down to get around the buoys.

For me personally it took a while to figure out the SN200 pull, now i love it as well. i'd have one if it was a hair cheaper but my 196 with ZO is still great.