Horton's EXO Pro Review

Horton

• Administrators

Every set I have had on the new HO EXO Pro bindings has impressed me more.

http://www.ballofspray.com/images/EXO/10_HO_EXOPro.jpgThese bindings are crazy looking compared to the bindings that most of us are used to. My wife says they remind her of something from the Transformers movie. Another review suggests a snow ski boot influence.

The EXO bindings are designed so that both feet stay in the boots at all times. The boots are connected to a central rail that will release from the ski in case of a significant fall. This eliminates the dangerous possibility of one foot coming out and one foot staying in. The boots themselves are surprisingly robust and look as if they will be extremely durable. In terms of longevity, the only component that looks as if it may not last for many seasons is the zip-up rubberized sheath the covers the laces. In my opinion this is not a problem because the sheath appears to be there for looks and I can not see how it impacts performance. (HO may claim otherwise, but I have not asked)

The rail that the boots attach to appears to be aluminum and durable, and it is relatively light.  The mounting slots that mate with boots allow for infinite front to back adjustment. If you have always wanted to be able to move your boots by a 1/64th at a time, these are the boots for you. The side to side and angle adjustment range is not as broad as other competing systems, but it is certainly adjustable within the range used by most skiers.

http://www.ballofspray.com/images/EXO/10_HO_EXOPro_Dbl_Cuff_Top.jpgThe rail is held in place by a molded plastic fixture in the front and the release mechanism in the back. The release is a calibrated mechanism that, like the boots, seems to be inspired by the snow ski industry.  As a whole the system looks to be very well thought out and engineered. The installation instructions include a clear chart for tension settings based on skier weight and height, along with where on the rail the boots are mounted.

Mode of release is a subject of concern especially for skiers like me who have skied for enough years to have already been injured once or twice. It could be argued that there is no release method that can account for every possible fall. It seems very unlikely that you would ever experience a hard fall with the EXO System without a timely release. Part of what gives me confidence in the EXO System is the fact that release is based on only one simple mechanical assembly and is calibrated by skier weight.

The first few times I put the boots on and then pulled them off, I was pretty unsure if I was comfortable with the process.  The upper cuff is very stiff so you have to wiggle your way in. After a few rides, this was no problem at all. Getting out of the boots at the end of a ride also was a concern for the first few rides. Being a little unflexible and not as thin as I once was, I felt a little like Harry Houdini when it comes time to get the laces loose while floating in the lake. If you are used to unbuckling and unlacing in the water, this will not be an issue for you. After a few rides, I finally realized that if I get out of the front boot first the whole process is much easier.

The boots look like they will perform the same after a season as they do on the first ride. Assuming you take care of your gear at a rudimentary level, I would also assume the release characteristics of the EXO would not require maintenance.

The EXO Boots are comfortable on your feet and responsive on the water. The early season rides I took in them went better then I expected. I cannot say I would run extra balls in the EXO System, but I can say that I would ski as well as I would in any other boot system and do so feeling safe and confident.

I definitely noticed that a few extra clicks of the upper cuff buckle changes the way everything feels. With the upper cuff tightened until it was just barely snug, I felt smooth and at home. When I cranked the cuff down tight, I found my edge changes and turns to be harsh and radical. Every skier is going to have a slightly different preference in this regard. With the EXO System, it is critical that you are consistent with how tight you make the upper cuff. The lower laces seem to be less critical, and I wear them moderately tight. I have not seen the “EXO Form” version, but a slightly less stiff cuff might be better for a lot of skiers.

Finally, I need to confess that if I had walked into a retail store to look at and try on the EXO System, I would not have been enthusiastic. Prior to skiing in them for a number of sets, I was not sold. After 5 sets, I feel good recommending the EXO Pro System in terms of comfort and performance. I have not fallen while wearing the System, but, from what I have seen, I trust the safety of the EXO system. 

Please note: It is my opinion, and not specifically expressed by HO, that you do not want to ski in this kind of system if the boots are not snug enough to keep your heel down. This is because if your heel can come up in the boot, you have created a situation where no mechanical release binding is as safe as it is designed to be.

Also See http://ballofspray.com/component/myblog/exo-bindings-i-still-have-not-skied-in-them.html

and http://ballofspray.com/component/myblog/fedex-showed-up-with-a-ho-exo-binding-system-today.html

Photos http://picasaweb.google.com/CarbonFins/EXO#

• Administrators

bdecker,

As I said above I have not fallen in the EXO but, no, I do not think there is a pre-release risk as long as they are set up correctly. I am picky as heck about bindings and I really think this is a good product.

Did I win them yet? Did anyone win them yet? I have an A-1 and they slap right on.

BTW - I spoke with an HO dealer and he said HO has a hold on them right now and will re-release mid May, minor redesign?  HO is also requiring the dealer set them up and a waiver be signed by the skier. Anyone else heard this?

PRODUCT UPDATE:

We received the first batch of Exo Pros in late March.  Upon trying them on and going through them, we have chosen to wait for HO to make some minor improvements on them.  We have since tried on the updated boots from their R & D crew and are confident they have addressed the concerns for fit and comfort we were concerned about.  We apologize for the delay in getting these boots out to our customers, but we also respect our customers enough to make sure to test and ensure the fit and comfort of new products not only meets...but exceeds our standards.  We hope to see the updated version of the Exo boots in late April / Early May.   Bill Porter...founder. Performance Ski and Surf

SETUP NOTE:  Performance will offer free personalized setup for all skiers who purchase the EXO PRO system from us.  This will take into account your ability, the ski you ski on, the boat you ski behind to ensure your boots are ready to go right from the time they arrive to you.  Will will have a skier profile sheet in the near future that will need to be filled out in order to do this.  Order from confidence from a company committed to ensuring you have the ultimate experience on the ultimate ski boot system.

• Baller

"This will take into account your ability, the ski you ski on, the boat you ski behind to ensure your boots are ready to go right from the time they arrive to you."

What??? If they need to know the boat you ski behind, it might be difficult to be ready for a tournament...

• Baller
How about "BOATS" you ski behind......come on...I ski behind 4 different boats.  Do I have to adjust for each if I use these bindings.  Binding set up by "boat" is a little over the top and (IMHO) trying a little too hard on the marketing side. 

• Baller

I have been saying for many many years that one of the single biggest hinderances to waterskiing equipment and thus skiing in general is the binding technology, or lack thereof.

I have an alpine skiing background, worked in the industry for many years and was an expert boot fitter.

With that said snow ski binding OEMs mandate a factory trained technician install and setup EVERY binding based on the boots to be used, skier weight and ability. You must pass a certified binding tech course to be able to sign off on an install. In the shop you will find a check and balance process where 1 tech does the work another senior tech will double check the work and only then sign off on it. There is also always a waiver the customer signs.

It is good to see perf ski upholding some values & even though on video these HO EXO binsings are THE GREATEST advancement in skiing technology, there is obviously something missing.

I hope they get it settled fast, because as I said this is the best mainstream advancement in watetski equipment

EVER!

• Baller_

Interesting comment on setup note, it will be very interesting to understand what setup adjustments are made for a specific boat.  If the sensitivity is to that level, I would suspect that fin setting and line length could also change settings.

Advancements in technology tend to be a very nice thing, but one must remember that they don't come for free.  If binding attached boots become the norm for this activity, just like the carbon ski, the price will take a step change upward.  Also, if they do, there better be a measurable decrease in injury or increase in buoy count.

PS:  Very nice write up JTH.

• Baller
Do they fit like the Radar boots or like typical rubber bindings?  Do you feet get cramped wearing them for extended sets.  The thing I like about the radar boots is that they never cramp my feet.  I noticed that the Ho boots do not have a thermal liner.  Does the material in the boots conform to your feet like a liner or does it retain its shape and form.  you said that it felt better after a few sets.  thanks

• Baller

I've been skiing on Enzo's and am not thrilled by these bindings. My feet cramp up sometimes. I doubt they will ever come off if I go OTF and the top lace gets loose after every pass.

So, I'm looking for an alternative. With the EXO's fit on a Connelly F1?

Laz

• Administrators

Laz
I have not ridden the Enzo so I can not compare. I do love the name (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enzo_Ferrari)

As I understand it, HO has an adapter plate to fit most skis. I have not seen it yet. I would assume that it will not be long. . . .

• Administrators

Joey,

The EXO Boots fit more like snow ski boots. I find them to be pretty comfortable but they are not bedroom slippers. They come in "shoe sizes" so you need to get the right size. I wear a 10 or 10 1/2 in street shoes and found the size 10 EXO to fit great.

I guess the liners are not designed for the thermal forming. When it comes to thinner liners like the EXO or the Radar Strada I do not thing the thermal is worth the trouble.

When I said it felt better after a few sets, I meant was that after a few sets my skiing adjusted to the system. With any new binding system, the first few rides is a little weird. I do not think the liners changed in any way.

Horton

• Administrators
That is what I forgot to do! I should have lowered the spring tension so I could test the (Pre) release. Bruce, thanks for doing if for me.

• Administrators

Bruce,

I think the chart that comes with the boots is pretty clear. You are a little  borderline but I think you are closer to a C then a B. I would personally split the difference.

• Baller
Are there any metal moving parts that have the potential to lock up if used in salt water?  I ski in very brackish water and have had fin screws corrode.  I'd hate to think I have releasable bindings that can't release!  So are moving parts metal, plastic, ect?

• Baller_
That is good to hear.  I had a similar experience with HO and the old Animal boots, the overlay kept ripping but HO was very good at warrenty replacements for them.  Hopefully, they will come up with a durable fix.

• Baller

Bruce-

I'm in the same setup as your old one- double approaches with an A1.  In your posting you kind of say that your ski doesn't feel any different in Exo's than they did with Approaches- right?

If so, then why the migration?  I would have thought that there would be at least some difference?  I do love my Approach boots for their incredible ankle support and control that's so much better IMO than the Animals...I was thinking the Exo's would take that a step further...

thanks

Ron

I've never used the approach bindings but they never looked like they would release well, so I would think that having a dedicated release system would be the main factor in buying the exo boots. Also are the exo boots any lighter in weight then other bindings that use a larger plate like Radar RS-1's or Stradas? just by looking at pictures it would seems like the whole system is lighter and less bulky then other setups.

I dont understand why people dont come out of the Approaches. I have been on them since 05 and have never not had them perform as needed.

OTFs, OTBs, front sideways, back sideways, always came out when I need to. Yall must have funny feet.   

• Baller

Bruce,

Maybe a two part video.

Part one: Putting the bindings on.

Part two: A nice OTF or buoy center punch to demo the release mechanism in a real life situiation. Time to take one for the team as our fearless leader wasn't up to it!Laughing 

• Baller

Why do you have to wet the bindings and your feet first? I put my RS-1 system on dry, or wet if second set, but I don't dip the ski or my feet in either case. Is there something about the liner material that makes you have to wet everything first?

If the release proves to function well, the system looks pretty nice from what I can tell on the video.

Bruce. From what I've seen, if you don't use I.E. or Firefox, you will not get access to the advanced text editing window. In fact any formatting you try to do in the text box will just be compacted down to a solid block of text. You might have been able to enter the html directly, but I don't think that would work either. All's well that ends well. That's a good procedure for getting into the boot.

I have an apple and If I wanted to put a video up I would just copy the html from youtube and paste it here that has worked for me before. The positioning of the video will just get messed up especially if you add other text with the post because safari doesn't have the advanced text editing window. The bindings do look a little harder to get into then my RS-1's but definitely easier to get into then my old O'brien Bio's.

• Baller

I don't think that handle would be legal for competition. From the AWSA Rules:

Note: For tournament-supplied handle sections, the bridle length shall be 150 cm  2.5 cm (4’11‖  1‖) the triangular portion of the bridle 28 cm ± 4 cm (11 ½ " ± 1 ½" ), and the length of the handle 30cm ± 6 cm (11-13/16" ± 2-3/8") (see di-agram). For skier-supplied handles in the Slalom and Jumping events, the toler-ance on the bridal length shall be +2.5 cm/-10 cm (+1"/-4) with no tolerance on the triangular portion of the bridle.

Note: Bridle triangle 11.5 +- 1.5. That triangle is at least 14 inches I'll bet...

• Baller

hmmm, I think you're right. I read it as no change in tolerance, but that's not what it says... /vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-surprised.gif

I think my Radar handle is "out" the other way. But what I like about it is that the triangle is small enough that it won't fit over my head.

Is that really very different than any other kind of boot? If you tear out an overlay or strip an insert, in that moment you are screwed unless you've got a backup ready to go. With the Exo the price to backup will be higher but a pair of Approaches is also on the pricey side.

• Administrators

Update: I ride the EXO bindings while on the CO-X and am happy to report that I like the bindings more all the time. They are certainly comfortable and I ski good in them.

The one time I had the bindings release, I did something super dumb and crashed into the wakes. The bindings did what they are supposed to do and I was fine. I did not even feel them release.