Z7 turn problem

icewebdan

Hi

I swich from a goode 9700 to a Z7. Since then I have serius problem to make the ski turn (Can not get enought angle). Went fron 28 off 34 mph easy  to an impossible 22 off...

Not sure what I should do with fin to make the ski turn more easely.,

Also I am 180 lbs and on a 67 inch...maybe too big?

Thanks for any advise

PS Thinking to go n goode mid range 65 inch

• Baller

"Regular" Z7 - 6.870 tips / 2.500 / .740 DFT / 7 deg wing

Z7 ST - 6.870 / 2.505 / .740 DFT / 7 deg wing.

These are the numbers for a 68".  DFT needs to be adjusted depending on size of ski.  67" is around .735 (flat head of caliper).

• Baller
I spent about two weeks on a D3 Z7 ST 67" and never touched the fin. I'm 185-190 Lbs and thought the 67" was perfect.   I found the ski was very sensitive to binding placement. Try moving the front binding forward one hole.  It makes an incredible difference and never blew a tail out unless I screw up.  I'm currently on a Fischer 68" Yellow and the ST was much easier to turn and significantly more efficient in the turn and the pull.  I found the ST liked to be ridden neutral or even back a little.  I would get up on the front of the ski 10-15' before the ball, once I felt the ski coming back under me I would set with a more rearward stance maybe 40/60 balance and the thing just ripped.   What a fanatic ski.  The Fischer, like many skis is a 50/50 balance or maybe 60/40 in the pre turn and through the edge set. With the 9700 (I had one for a year) it has a lot more tail slide and the ST doesn’t do that.  I also demoed a Strada 67†and found the ST much more aggressive at setting angle out of the ball but again with less tail slide.  I found that the ST would gain angle even at the center of the boat, not something I was trying to do.  My fin settings were the factory numbers, verified by Paul at D3 and I use Older O’Brien Contact High Wraps.  I hope that helps.   

Very interesting

I put the fin to JD for this morning session ....but it was windy so a lot of sde wave in the course this morning

My Z7 is not a ST (2009) but should work similar...

I will try to move binding and see.

PS: 190 lbs 67 at 36 or 34MPH?

I am now 177lbs skiing at 34 on a 67...Which to try a 66 inch...

• Baller
I 185-192lbs, 5'7" running old man 34.6 MPH 55KM behind 99 and 2003 Nautique with Perfectas.  Typically run one 22, two 28, two or three 32 and then a 35 getting 2-6 balls depending on the day.  The only reason I didn't buy the ST was I didn't gain any buoys.  I think the ST is easier to ski on and significantly more efficient on the water.  It rolled over on edge with much less effort, it needed to carry a little more speed around the ball in order not to over turn.  It also did not hit you nearly as hard coming out of the ball.  Good Luck.

• Baller

You may find after moving the bindings forward the ST may feel a little squirrely when crossing the wakes.  It only took me a few passes and it completely settled down, I never noticed it again.  If you’re still not able to get it to turn on you on side I would try moving the rear only binding back one hole.  It always amazes me what a little binding movement can do.