Removing Ball Point Pen Marks on Boat Seat Vinyl, What Works ?

RichardDoane

• Baller

Rubbing alcohol works pretty good on ink, let it soak a little.  Fantastic also seems to work on an lot of different stuff, let it soak a little too. 

Put Formula 303 on it to seal it back up.

Don't  know if it will work on ballpoint pen, but permanent ink (such as from a Sharpie or other permanent marker) can be removed - believe it or not - by heavily marking over it with a Dry Erase Marker and then wiping the combination off.  Apparently the solvent in the DEM drives the "permanent" ink into solution and then everything wipes away cleanly.

If you try this on the ballpoint ink be sure to test it first on an unimportant area of vinyl.... like someone else's boat.

TW

• Baller
Hair spray. Will take it right off, test first on the underside of a seat to make sure you don't get an unwanted reaction with the vinyl. I had this happen a few years ago, used cheapo hairspray and the dang pen marks wiped right off. No marks, no discoloration of the vinyl, just like it never happened.

• Baller

WD40 spray usually cleans about anything too.

I would definetley test the hair spray to make sure it doesn't mess up the vinyl, the alcohol in the spray is what cuts the ink, the other crap in the spray could react and take off the sheen.

Give us some feedback on what worked.

Thanks

• Baller
Last year at the Nationals all boat judges were admonished not (at least I was for two different events) NOT to bring ball points into the boats. Kinda commons sense, as it's hard sometimes to juggle radios, clipboards, ropes and writing utensils.

• Baller_
tried hairspray this morning, didn't do much.  Zep upholstery cleaning wipes took off most of the extra ink, but leave behind the line.  Just ordered a new cushion skin from Rambo, and will pass the savings on to the Regional LOC.  Could have been prevented by the purchase of a dozen mechanical pencils for the judges to use all week.  Other than that, my MC was #1 all week, and I take it as a compliment that it was used to pull the Men5 slalom group.  I've got some good pictures, plus one of Dave Goode in his "Mr. Clean" speed suit and will post.

Might even try calling a couple pen co.'s and talk to the customer service or  "tech. support" for the co.

Try a couple local auto detailer's for some advice. 

From Google:

Apply (do not rub) a solvent type cleaner by blotting it onto stain with a clean, white terrycloth washcloth. This type of cleaner should lift up the stain. By loosening stain and immediately blotting it up, the stain should not spread.

1. Treat a thickly folded absorbent white cloth or towel with Hair Spray, dab the affected area with cloth, and blot with dry towel simultaneously
  2. Treat a thickly folded absorbent white cloth or towel with Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol, dab the affected area with cloth, and blot with dry towel simultaneously.
  3. Treat a thickly folded absorbent white cloth or towel with Nail Polish Remover or Acetone, dab the affected area with cloth, and blot with dry towel simultaneously
  4. Treat a thickly folded absorbent white cloth or towel with Spirits of Turpentine, dab the affected area with cloth, and blot with dry towel simultaneously
  5. Treat a thickly folded absorbent white cloth or towel with Afta® or Carbona®, dab the affected area with cloth, and blot with dry towel simultaneously
  6. If one solvent cleaner does not adequately solve the problem, move down to the next in the order these cleaners are given. NEVER apply solvents directly onto surface.
Note: Always test an inconspicuous area for colorfastness, etc. before treating the exposed area. Also note that certain stains are permanent.

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/stry/ballpointink#ixzz0utyPAC00

• Baller

I second the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.  I keep one in my boat all the time.  Cleans upholstery very well, there is nothing it hasn't gotten rid of.  It is also very good and removing small scracthes on the gel coat.