Elite vs Strada and which caliper?

dski

• Baller

I have been skiing a buddy's 2009 Elite and will be trying out a Strada next week. I can typically run 15 and 22  off at 32-33 mph and I am concentrating on getting the boat speed up to 34 now.

For years I skiied a ~2002 Mapple and loved it. That is until I skied the Elite! I am 6'3" and about 185. Skied the 68" in all the different skis.

So, first question. What should I expect the differences on the Elite vs Strada? Am I right to stay with the 68"?

Second, I would like to get a caliper to make adjustments. Which one do you guys recommend?

• Baller

At 185 lbs, consensus would be you'll probably not want to go longer than 67" in the Strada. 

Best buy on caliper would be the 8" digital from Harbor Freight for $30 or so (take the battery out after to use to prevent it from accidentally turning on and running dry).  Else, spend more money and spring for the slot caliper.

• Baller

Thanks for the quick comments!

So, even skiing as slow as I am 32-34, the 67 is still the way to go?

Also, thanks for the heads up on the slot caliper. I just ordered one based on your recommendation!

Duane

• Baller

Thanks skidawg on the elite info. That is what I have been skiing lately (my buddy's 68 elite) and it seems perfect.

Skidawg or davemac, so, based on the slower speeds (32-34) 67 or 68 on the strada?

Duane

• Baller
dski, where do you live? I ask because water temp comes into play also. I ran into this on the Strada. Everyone was saying at 172 lbs I should run a 66. But as the water temp climbed into the 95-98 degree range here in the south, the strada became an old dog with it's tongue hanging out. I tried a 67 yesterday and it was a rocket and I ran right up close to my all time pb on the first two sets.  If you have warm water, I would go with a 68 if I were you.

• Baller

Finally got the Strada out yesterday. Here are my observations:

1. Love the boots! Holy smokes they are comfortable and the connection with the ski, for me, is awesome. (Comparing to the Elite/Edge combination)
  2. Comparing it to the Elite, it turns so fast! In fact, there were a number of times that I needed to make up some time and was able to by the really strong turn.
  3. The Elite seems to accelerate after the turn faster but the Strada just keeps accelerating. There were times that I thought that I was late in the middle of the pull but by the end was in great position.

What are your experiences with the two?

BTW - After running 15 and 22 off at 32 MPH, I concentrated in speeding up the boat yesterday. I got 6@15 off / 33.5, and 4@15off / 34mph, so getting there!

Duane

• Baller
I'm back on the Elite from the Strada.  The Elite has a much more tip down attitude in the turns which I like. Of the two, the 67 Strada has a bigger sweet spot. I felt like I could instantly find my balance point on it. Which is definitely good. I instantly felt comfortable on it when I got off of my 66 strada(which I could not find the balance point on). But the Elite is just a rocket when you ride it correctly.  If you initiate the turns with your shoulders, the Elite will punish you. But if you initiate the turn with your hips, you're off to the races. 

• Baller
No, I'm saying the Elite rewards you for rotating your outside hip back into the handle as opposed to rotating your shoulders back to the handle past the apex. If you are a person that whips their upper body into the finish of the turn, the elite will make your arms about 4" longer when you hook back up.

• Baller
Do you know if they changed up the 65? I tried one for a month last yr and wanted it to work in the worst kind of way but it never suited me. Might be willing to give it a go again if it didn't dig in on my onside. I sure did like the way it got through the wakes.

• Baller

Deke - I do ski at Powell a couple times a year but just take a portable course when we go. (Until recently, it was the only time I got to ski the course!)

Thanks for everyones comments so far! I am having a real tough time deciding which I like more. Time to get some video before plunking down all that coin.