A tiny slice of paradise...

Thomas Wayne

Some photos of my site (Kings Lake, Alaska) on the morning of Sunday, August 15, 2010 - 8:30 am.  We've had the worst summer for weather that I can remember (in almost 30 years), but this was a great day

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n293/ThomasWayne_2006/Northcourse-1.jpg

North course.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n293/ThomasWayne_2006/Westcourse.jpg

West course.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n293/ThomasWayne_2006/Bothcourses-artsy-fartsy.jpg

Artsy-fartsy shot of both courses.

TW

(61°37'14.22"N - 149°20'40.02"W) 

"I meant to ask on my previous post, how is your water clarity?"

Crystal clear and drinkable (if you don't stir up the muck in the shallows).  Two filters - one for coarse and one for bacteria level - would guarantee total purity, though in our current cabin we have a separate fresh water supply.  The next cabin (larger) will use such filtration to utilize lake water for all purposes.

We often have glorious summers, with many days above 70 and some above 80.  What's surprising is that 70 degrees in Alaska feels like 90 in Seattle (or wherever).  We're not talking about the locals simply being acclimatized - visitors in the springtime are amazed when they're sweating their asses off in 60-degree sunlight.  I don't know if I'd describe this phenomenon as "solar gain", but it's because the sun comes through at a much more direct angle (less atmospheric shielding) and becasue the summer days are very long (20+ hours).

For all skiing-related visits I tend to recommend mid-June through July for the best chance at glorious weather, although last year we skied to mid-September...

TW

• Baller
That's a beautiful sight. How many people ski there regularly? I've never actually been to Alaska(had no clue 80 deg. was possible)and I am a bit surprised that there's interest in water skiing there. I guess I need to expand my horizons.

• Supporting Member

I've never been to Alaska either, but I visited Finland one June many years ago, and those 22 hour days are both very cool and very bizarre (if you're not used to them, I guess).  In Helsinki, it never really got "dark" -- the effects of the sun were still just barely there from sunset to when it switched back to sunrise.

I would concur that the water and air at that latitude were very warm in the summer -- we went swimming one time at 1am and it was really comfortable, even though I don't recall the thermometer reading much above 20 most days (about 65 farenheit).

Can't imagine 22 hour nights, though.  Gotta have a vacation home for the winter, I think!

"That's a beautiful sight. How many people ski there regularly? I'venever actually been to Alaska(had no clue 80 deg. was possible)and I ama bit surprised that there's interest in water skiing there."

Atmy lake I have 4 skiers that are very regular and all ski into mid-35or shorter - they have gate keys.  Then we have a peripheral group thatvisit occasionally running from -15' through -28' - probably ten or adozen of those.  We also occasionally get skiers visiting from the realworld (lower 48).

That's at my private site.  Within a few milesof my place there are several more public lakes with active slalomcourses; the closest is about five minutes away (owner is an HO andRadar dealer) and the farthest is perhaps 1/2 hour or so furthernorth.  There are also a number of nearby lakes that have [currently]sunken courses just waiting for someone to tie on buoys.  Drive up toFairbanks (350 miles away) and there's an entirely different contingentof course skiers on Harding Lake who also take the game seriously.

TheMatanuska-Susitna Borough (and points farther north) have many, manydozens of lakes, and waterfront property is extremely popular.  With atotal population of less than 650,000 people (statewide) and dealers(over the years) for Correct Craft, Mastercraft, Brendella, Centurian, Tige andother tournament brands, I would be willing to bet we may have thehighest per capita number of tournament inboards of any state in the U.S.

Who knew?

TW

• Baller

Amazing, I would of never thought of waterskiing seriously in Alaska.  I am amazed at the number of course skiers up there.  I have a whole new respect for you TW.  Awesome site but you must go crazy during the long winter.  What do you do to get by? 

Your theory is not the craziest I've ever heard... but it's right up there with JFK convalescing in the White house basement and 7-11 Elvis sightings.

At my wife's request I spray about two gallons of a malathion mix around our property (we have 3 1/2 acres) twice a summer to eliminate virtually all flying pests (such as mosquitoes).  As far as I know, I'm the only one to do that among my friends, and they haven't mentioned any particular "bug fest" problem at their lakes either.  Maybe all these northern bugs live mostly in your mind...

Now I have heard that when you get into the deep interior of Alaska you may run into an insect issue that is the stuff of legends - "mosquitoes the size of hummingbirds" and so on - but where we are it's absolutely not an issue.  We do have a significant small bird population at the lake that may have something to do with controlling insect population levels.  In the big picture, however, I've been bothered far more by insects in Florida than I ever have in Alaska, and personally haven't felt the need to use "Off"-type bug spray at our place ever.

TW

• Supporting Member

Guessing maybe Brent has been in the woods in Maine?  Mosquitoes there are plentiful and aggressive.  I've seen them land on a spot that I just coated with 100% DEET.  Fish a river in the woods for a few hours with any lesser bug spray, and you're in for a week-long itch-fest.

But if you don't go off into the woods, my experience has been that southern bugs are more plentiful and MUCH bigger.  And then there's scorpions (I admit I'm scared of those), tarantulas (personally not scared of 'em), and those tiny red ants whose bites feel like what I've always imagined being shot feels like (VERY scared of those).

On balance, I'll take northern bugs in a heart beat.  /vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-smile.gif