Teaching Handle Control

elr

• Baller

Does anyone have tips/drills for decreasing the handle to hip gap (hook-up, through the wakes, preturn) that work for junior skiers.   I noticed that Lucky Lowe had his son two handing his turns at nationals - maybe thats how its taught. 

Forget about the course. Have them go to one side, get in a good position and pull waaay wide. Have them hold that wide position the entire length of the course. The better position (leverage) they are in, the wider on the boat they will get. Drop and do the other side on the way back. They will be able to lean against the handle just like practicing in the boat against the motor box.

• Baller

Agree, that is one we always have them do.

Next is the 2-hand drill, keeping a tight line through the wakes on edge to teach them not to be afraid of the wake.

Don't start real wide, they will have a tendancy to go to fast early, ski flat, then bounce over the wake.  The idea is to be smooth and get the ski on edge at a slower speed so it cuts through the wake.

We have them run the mini course (accufloat mid-arm buoys) and then try to get outsdie of the turn buoys on one side and the mini course on the other.  Sort of like a game, so it is interesting.

• Baller
A little more information.  Skier is B2 running into -22/34MPH.  LFF and his pull out has him 1/2 way between the back of the motor box and pylon.  Photos show him on the proper edge but pulled out in all phases.  I'm most concerned about 2nd wake to buoy line but maybe he's not getting enough leverage behind the boat.   Starting our out of course work now.   Thanks for everything so far. 

• Baller

Reading Bruce Butterfields article on handle control over and over has really helped my skiing. That and thinking that when I'm doing it well....I can do it better and continuing to work on that. I've been concentrating on that for over 2 months and skiing gets more fun everyday. Thank you Bruce, I owe you!