Gloves?

WIskier

• Baller

The pro-locks are like the old clinchers, which I have skied with for many years.  Really eases the grip load on the forearms and I found limited the wear and tear on my hands.

Only downside is occasionally, particularly on a tough pass when things were happening quickly, my hand trying to release could get hung up for a split second on the handle before I could release.  It was very seldom, but it did cost me my toughest pass (38) a few times when I really had it going nicely.  For me the regular benefit outweighs the very occasional whiffed pass.  I ski 6-10 sets/week, and probably 5 times per season I would get hung up.  Some would find that unacceptable.

• Baller
The two gloves are very different. I've tried the "Clincher" type gloves and I can't always release to my satisfaction. BUT my ski partner loves them. The 41 Tails are the same as the old HO RPM gloves. I like the Tails because they have the Kevlar palm yet........they don't have a bunch of heavy stitching on the palms. Gloves with heavy stitching tend to not be as pliable (at least for me). I also don't use glove liners but instead use a smaller glove than my hand size. My hand is a Medium but I use a Small or XS size glove. I've found that the smaller gloves I can avoid bunching.

• Baller
I tore my rotator cuff this summer due to being unable to release the handle during an otf fall while wearing the Masterlocks. It may have been that the gloves were slightly too big to perform properly. I switched to the HO Talon and can't imagine a better glove. JP :)

• Baller

I recommend taking the Dowels out of the Clincher Type Gloves to keep them from hanging up. Still get the same support from the straps. After years of using Clinchers without the Dowels, I switched over a year a go to the Goode "Clinchers" and these have smaller Dowels, so I just leave them in. Have never had these even come close to hanging up.

Ski Well,   ED

• Baller

Agree on removing the dowels.  Still get pretty of hookup and they don't get stuck.

In regard to the new Pro Locks, I have a pair and they modified the top of the hand closure, and instead of a plain velcro overlay, it has a reverse velcro overlay, which I found way too small for my hand.  Had to modify it.  The reverse lock is an improvement, but it is just too tight.

You have to make sure your fingers run all the way to the tips of the gloves if you want the straps to work, so a larger pair will not be as effective.

• Baller

I love Clinchers. Masterline prolocks are almost as good as Clinchers. The Masterline has too much velcro and funky adjustments but the feel is similar. 

I leave the dowels in - dowels enhance the gripping power and make handle selection much less critical. In order to keep them from hanging up on the handle, I thread a rubber band through the webbing and around the fingers to keep the webbing from flapping out and hanging up. The rubber band works great and I can hang on to killer C3 hits.

Eric

• Baller

I've used Clinchers forever and the ProLocks are an improvement in regard to how well they hold up, otherwise pretty much the same in feel as Eric stated.  The only time I've ever had hang up issues is when using a handle that had bare rope sides rather than the heavy plastic coated sides ala Straightline or Masterline handles.  I've only had hang up issues with bare rope sided handles, never with the other type.  Be aware of that issue and I think the hangups will go away.

Ed

I have been using the masterlines for 2 yrs now. Great glove but it takes a while to get them on. Like someone mentioned above a lot of straps and velcro. Never had any release problems. It would be nice to be able to take the dowel out and have just a straight piece of velcro there with out the loop for the dowel. Maybe there is something out there like that.

• Baller

Hi Ed,

Used straightline for years, now masterline.  Still hang up for split second now and then.  On an easier pass such an event is salvageable, on toughest passes sometimes not.  Only got me once in a tourney years ago, but happens now/again in practice.  No reason not to experiment by taking the dowels out...will use my old beat up pair and try it.

• Baller
I bought some 41 tail gloves in July and within a month they were ripped open between the thumb and index finger. They stretch ALOT when wet. Now, I'm a girl and my hands are small. The XS I have get way too big when wet. Perhaps this somehow causes increased force/stretching which causes them to rip apart. My "solution" is to keep my hands out of the water as much as I can. My husband has the radar locks (discontinued) and LOVES them. He's trying to convert me but I don't know. I liked the feel of the tails and the fact that they only bunched up on me when they were stretched out. Can't really comment on other types. I have the hardest time finding something I like. Maybe it's because my hands are too small for men's XS gloves and there's a TERRIBLE selection of gloves for women. Skidawg ended up giving me his sons gloves (he's 8!). They're a touch tight but will be perfect when they get stretched out.

• Baller

Progear dude might sell more gloves if he changed his slogan. Unbelievable, he still has that crap on his website. I looked at them when they came out and didn't buy them because of it then and still won't now.

Call me a prude, but....

I ordered a pair of the ProGear gloves and didn't care for them at all.  Then, I saw that Overton's had started selling its own gloves again and ordered a pair of the Overton's Attack gloves.  Happiest I have been with a pair of gloves since I wore out my old Pink Overton's Pro Skins (the gladiator Pro Champs just weren't the same).

http://www.overtons.com/assets/images/products/medium/15825_M1.jpg

A little side note on the Overton's gloves.  Since Overton's is a North Carolina company, you're going to get charged sales tax on your purchase even though it is made online and you are presumably out of state.  To add insult to injury, Overton's also has pretty high shipping charges based on $$ amount versus weight.  This stinks when you're buying a $40 pair of gloves that weigh maybe 8 oz. in the the envelope. 

However, Overton's also owns a little company called Gander Mountain that has locations in approximately 22 States (Texas and eastward).  If you have a Gander Mtn locally, you can search for Overtons products on their site and ship site to store for free.  You'll pay sales tax, but you would have paid that anyway and, in my case, Texas's sales tax is a little lower than NC IIRC.

If you have a Gander mountian in your state, overtons will charge you sales tax no matter where you buy from. If you keep checking the site daily, they will knock 35-65% off the overtons gloves for a few weeks around xmass. I usually buy my seasons worth at that time.   

East tx,

how are the sizes of the attack? I used to wear a Med in the Pro Champs, but last winter the Meds I ordered were all to small. I have used Med in all other gloves I have bought.

MS, I wore a medium in the Pro Champs and the old Pinky Overton's gloves.  Medium in the Attack feels a touch smaller, but still the correct size for my hands.  I used the sizing chart in the Overton's catalog to discover one day that I was a medium and not a large.  That was a good day for my glove buying.

As for the tax, I specifically remember paying Texas's sales tax rate on the gloves I bought through Gander.  Of course, at that point, we're talking a matter of 1--2%, so who cares.   The shipping rate is what I'm always glad to avoid, particularly from Overtons.