Sanctioned practice now required???

clemsondave

Does anyone have further information on this new USAWS policy? It appears that they are now going to require us to log/sanction every practice set.

Here is a clip from the .pdf.

"An important benefit USA Water Ski provides to its member organizations/clubs is the ability to host and sanctionevents. As part of sanctioning, USA Water Ski provides General Liability and Participant Accident coverage. Beginning in2011, affiliated clubs will be required to formally sanction ALL club practices and exhibitions through USA Water Skiand adhere to the requirements outlined below. Detailed information on the coverage is available under the“Sanctioned Events Program†section of the Insurance Resources link at www.usawaterski.org.

SANCTIONING: Club practice/exhibition sanctioning is available online through the Club’s “Membersâ€Only†section ofour Web site at no charge by going to https://www.usawaterski.org/members/login/index.asp or clicking on the“Member Login†icon in the upper rightâ€hand corner of USA Water Ski’s home page, directly underneath the searchfunction, and entering the club’s membership number and password. Your club will be able to sanction clubpractices/exhibitions 24 hours a day, 7 days a week as well as view previous sanctions. Or, if you prefer, your club cansanction their practices and exhibitions by completing the following application(s) and submitting it to USA Water Ski’sCompetition Department along with a signed Event Sanction Agreement.

SANCTION APPROVAL: Once the sanction application has been approved and a sanction number issued, the clubcontact will be eâ€mailed an approval. The necessary Practice/Exhibition event forms are available online athttp://www.usawaterski.org/pages/TournKit/OnlineTournamentKits.htm."

I think that is only if you want to be able to use the liability insurance provided by USA Water Ski membership. The new wording does seem a little bit confusing though. How do they define "club practice"?

It has been that way since the beginning.

We may need to get an opinion from one of the legal minds on this board but I was told that unless you are 100% following the program, it is worthless.

You need a trained safety on site for every practice.

You need to log every person that practices every day.

Even by following the rules, has anyone ever had success with using this program to pay for injurise or accidents?   

In addition, if there are cases where there has been denied claims, it woul dbe nice to know the facts of the cases.

If the majority of the USA club membership fees are based on this insurance, maybe it would be wise to remove it and let clubs use that money to get there own protection.    

Nice loop hole and yes practice has to have logs. Why membership selection is So critical, so knowone sues you. I never have relied on their Ins. and when I did get hurt I used my own Ins. Although my Ins wanted to know who was driving the boat, location & about the tourney...I told them I was so drunk i could not see who was driving or where I was and they got tired of asking.

Our natural spawn is nil. It is our stocking program that has made our fishing. Not really into catching the big fish but when that's all that's biting might as well get photo. I perfer the 2lbers, catch and release in hot grease. Although my fishing goal is to catch the state record. I should of weighed this one > emma is 5ft tall and the tail is bent 32-33 inch fish > would have been close Ks record is 13.16.

Morels every year release enough spores to cover every square inch of the northern Hemisphere. So I am sure you have them. What I have been taught is look up at the tops of trees and identfy kind then if it is fresh dead. Cottonwoods, Elms Cedars and silver maples on the early bite. If you find a fresh blown over cottonwood that is gold. The burn areas and cedars that you can almost walk under are the good ones. Night temps need to reach 50 Hi's 65 -70 for 5 - 7 days. Generally speaking first of April for Kansas and middle of May for Minn. Don't drink to many brews with them morels. For some walleye tips I would need more information on where and how you are fishing. For skiing I suck and maybe you could help me out on that.

• Baller
clemsondave, it appears that USA Waterski is creating loopholes to deny insurance claims. The form says the boat must have 500k insurance, have USA Waterski listed as additional insured (along with it's volunteers, etc), That ALL "participants" must be USA Waterski members. Not sure if a 3rd is considered a participant. It would sure be good if someone from USA waterski could shed some light as to why this new form is being implemented.

• Baller

OB,

Can you post that information publicly?

Based on what I am learning here I know of at least one club that is under the impression they are doing everything they should be to be covered and are not.  I would like to help set things straight.

Thanks in advance.

• Baller

I can pretty much say that just about every club I have been to is not covered.

Do you have a backboard on site?

Do you have sides on your jump?

Is your driver current with the USAWS driver program?

I can't stand the USAWS system. It is tougher than having my pilots license. We (all skiers) need to request that they make changes.

Tim

• Baller
From the standpoint of an owner of land that has a large pond on it with skiers being towed behind a 350hp boat, I have never been able to find anybody else to write a policy for general liability. Also, I have asked around to get an umbrella over the USAWS lake owner's liability and can't find that either.

• Baller
 The following quote does indicate that this is new for 2011.  I haven't looked into just what all this entails yet, but does seem to be considerably more that in the past just logging in all details for practice.  Keyword being formally.  "Beginning in 2011, affiliated clubs will be required to formally sanction ALL club practices and exhibitions through USA Water Ski and adhere to the requirements outlined below."

• Baller

It appears that you can indicate, on one form, the times/dates that you want to sanction.  It does require that a safety coordinator be on site, and his/her name be listed when sanction application is submitted, if you ski guests. A member of the sanctioning club be on site at all times that sanctioned skiing is going on.  For you guys that have sites where year round skiing is possible there seems to be a caveat -- practice schedules submitted with " all dates circled will not be accepted".  Roger, what will WPB do?  I guess you can just leave off tournaments dates. It does say "all" dates, so if you leave off one (1) annually it will meet the letter of the law.

Here you go, my email to Traci and Brandon. His responses in red:

Thanks for answering my questions. There are several questions popping up about this on the forums. Before I answer them, can I get clarification so that we do it right?

- I can do a sanction in advance for 7 days a week, 7am - 8pm, say April - October. As in one sanction for all those dates.correct

- Practice logs will not need to be kept of who skiedcorrect

- Guests will be required to fill out a guest membership form and a waivercorrect

- Safety coordinator (or higher) will need to be on-site at all timescorrect

Other questions:

- Does every boat driver need to be at least a trained driver? You are not required to have a certified driver for sanctioned practices.

- Do you need to have full safety equipment on-site at all times, just like a tournament? ie backboard There are no formal requirements for safety equipment at practices, but you are always encouraged to have the appropriate equipment on hand. Your Safety Coordinator will be trained in this area, and is ultimately responsible for determining what safety equipment is appropriate.

- Does the boat need to be an approved (or previously) approved boat? No.

- Any increase in insurance requirements for promo boats this year? No

(http://www.usawaterski.org/graphics/downloads/InsuranceResources/SanctionedEvents/TowboatInsuranceRequirements.PDF)

- Anything else I'm missing that might be important? Please see the practice/exhibition sanction info at:

http://www.usawaterski.org/pages/TournKit/Practice/Practice%20Applications/ClubPracticeExhibitionApplication.pdf

Thanks!

dave

• Baller

Guys, reagardless of what Brandon or Traci says, here is word for word of what their documentation says.  I take what is written over verbal info in a situation like this.  I couldn't cut and paste from the document, I'll just type it out. About 1/3 the way down the page of "Sanctioning Requirements" it says:

"A safety official with a minimum rating of Safety Coordinator must be present at each sanctioned practice if guest members are allowed to participate." (emphasis added)

Guest member, to my interpretation, is a non member of USAWS.  Guest member further defined at the next to last check mark on subject page.  I choose to not allow guest members to ski at our lake per above.

• Baller_
Any "guest members" can pay a $10. fee and be AWSA for the day, then when they join UsaWaterski following they can get credit for the $10.  That gets them the chance to ski in a "grassroots" event as a non-member.  We sanction out Memorial Day tournament as a "NC" so there's a Novice group that's guaranteed 4 passes per round, as well as the 3 round "C" event.

• Baller
I am thinking we drop the added awsa coverage and see what it takes to add a little more to our commercial coverage. Too many rules and loopholes! When I or one of my partners take a few of our kids' friends out for tubing and wake boarding, I am seriously doubting we will be able to comply.

• Baller
Skidawg,  The ONLY real insurance provided by USAWS is in the form of liability, and then I'm sure you'll have a tough time getting any help.  OB obviously was able to garner some benefit from the liability coverage provided.  We'll have to do whatever we can (or can afford) to protect ourselves in the event of a catastrophic accident.  Don't want to go losing my lake!!  

More from Brandon:

Question: On this online sanction, do we need to state who will be practicing? Or, can we just put all of our club members (whether they actually show up or not)?

Answer: The online sanction application will not ask for participant names. However, it is a good idea for the club to keep their roster current with USA-WS.

Question: Do we need to report back if a guest comes to ski?

Answer: Yes, if a Guest member skis in a sanctioned event you should send USA-WS their membership application and Guest membership fee.

I have asked about the safety coordinator.

• Baller
After reading these comments one question comes into play. If you pull a guest collect the fee for USAWS and that person gets hurt during his practice ride will USAWS cover him or the lake owner? USAWS did not receive payment prior to the injury. And there is no official record of the guest paying other the the lake owner or club.

• Baller
As most of you who are listed as a contact for AWSA affiliated club probably did, I received an email telling me that now I can sanction practice online.  This after dutifully (about 5 weeks ago) filling in all our requested practice dates on a hard copy form and sending it in.  I have received no response as to a scanction approval/number.  I emailed Traci this AM asking if I will have to do the online thing.  I certainly hope not.  If you take a look at the online process you will see that you have to select a date and time, click add and then do it again, over and over for 150 or 200 or however many days you want to practice.  Am I missing an easy way to do this?

Yep this is available but as OB stated the logs need to be kept. A good club can really help the members out by doing this. It is not that big of a deal if you can get everyone on board. A good injury can not only make you wounder if you will ski again but also shows you who supports the club members.

My advice is to stick together work as a group and insure that you are indeed insured. and if not pony up and pay for your injury, recover and get back out on your sticks and go punch it off the ramp like they can't and never could. 

Insurance is not crap it will pay if your club sets it up. 

Norman Wenzel 

LAKU LANDING CO. Member of 16 years

• Baller

MS, are you saying you did one sanction application for the whole summer?  Right at the top of the Sanction Practices page  it says:

Practice Dates & Times

Note: Only indicate regularly scheduled practice dates/times. Schedules with all dates will not be accepted.