Heart Rate monitor results

scoke

• Baller

So I had posted in another thread about the use of a heart rate monitor (HR) during ski activities. Therefore I decided to post some results; I was using a Polar F1 with chest strap. The F2 version gives a min/max/avg but my F2 broke and i've got a F1.

Very interesting results. Several people asked me why i wore one during ski rides? Why not? It gives good results and comparitive to gym work. Waterproof and paints a great picture of our bodies. 

I put it on just before stretching to ski.
HR: 85ish

Walking around and starting to get the blood moving, 100-110.

Sitting on the dock, have my ski on and about to hop in the water, it spiked to 120ish.

Looked down just before I moved out for the gates, 133.

Finished the first pass it was at 142.

Breathed it down and was back around 100 then said hit it. Finished the pass at 146.

Same routine, ran another pass it was at 148. Got it around 100 and took off again.

Pass 4, 155 then 100. Pass 5, 159-100 then final pass was at 162.

Someone theorized that it probably was at it's highest near 6 ball or exit gates. Not sure about that though.

The results honestly are close to my gym workouts if not, even less. There are some interesting things in there as I saw the spike with anxiousness before i said "lets go" the first time.

I wonder what it would be if:

1. you are sitting on the dock, ski on, previous skier done & you're next at a tournament?  140

2.  It's the Nationals (so you took time off work, flew here, rented a car and hotel)? 160

3. You just remembered you're the #1 seed?  180

4. person before you just made 1 more buoy than your PB? 200

5.  15 mph tailwind kicks up? 205

6. it starts to rain? 210

Quick call 911

• Baller

During the season, i usually could get it down to 100 within about 60 seconds.

The other day, it was about 1.5-2.5 minutes i was sitting there, i would guess. dang maybe i need to ski harder! yeah that's the ticket.

• Baller

If your resting HR is around 60 or so the elevation that occurs just because you're at the lake getting ready to ski is really interesting.  That's about a 40% increase over a resting rate of 60.  At the point you are ready to drop in you're at double your resting rate.  I know I feel the same rush but seeing the numbers provides an interesting feedback loop.  I wonder if you work on controlling the pre-start rush will help or hurt your skiing.  Its good to have adrenaline working for you but too much messes with the concentration. 

I think that this is good stuff.

• Baller

Interesting results today from a workout.

It was a 3 stage circuit. Each stage was 7-9 excercises all lasting 60 seconds then move onto the next excercise.

First one, HR ranged from 120-145 the whole time fluctuating based on the excercises. Anything with arms overhead automatically jumped it up.

After the first one, i took about a 60 second break and breathed down to 100 or so.

Second one, HR ranged from 130-160 the whole time; again fluctuating based on the excercise.

Third: HR hit in the mid 160's several time on the last few excercises. Ranged from 140-168 for about 10 minutes.

This is quite different from the ski intensity, intervals and durations of HR swings.

• Baller

Jim, Yes good call and i should have posted that a bit. HR was a notch down overall during the second set. Maybe the blood was still flowing and pumped in the system but i certainly didn't seem to spike it was much as usual.

I do plan on wearing the HRM a bit more often this year. Also, i went for a swim the other day and wore it. Interesting results and they fell inline with the circuit workout regarding max and sustained rate vs skiing being an extreme quick peak and valley.

I hope a few other skiers will wear them and post some results. It would be quite interesting.

• Baller

Scoke,

I figure as long as I don't tip over on my face after my set that my heartrate is in an acceptable range.  So far neither skiing nor any of my workouts has caused me to tip over on my face, although following me through my workout has caused several of my workout partners to lose their lunch (then they usually quit working out with me, go figure?). 

Seriously, the pre-set rise is probably consistent with what happens prior to making an important presentation or doing any other type of performance.  Normal case of nervous energy (hopefully just the right amount!).  Interesting dataset all in all.

• Baller

Some interesting theories in this thread. most seemed to be confirmed today:First set, typical range but didnt get it as high during the 4-5-6 pass. Low 150's was the max. By the time the ZO timer beeped i was in the 90-95 range consistently.

Maybe eating 6" at subway instead of footlongs has helped.

Second set: overall the HR was much LOWER the entire set. Even in the water after a few passes it got down to 85. Hit it the lows 140's max range even during pass 7-8. interesting stuff and i encourage anyone who has one to try it out. it's wild.

• Baller
Put your face under water and your heart rate will go down. We will call this "line shortening bradycardia". Just kidding! Look up "diving bradycardia" for more info. It's completely natural and good for you too, Unless of course you forget to come up for air!

• Baller

So lots of new research and data available via the academia world. One of the largest conclusions, if your HR is over 145bpm during your "activity" and it involves fine motor skills and visual recognition, it's not a good thing!

If it's over 145bpm, you're skiing too hard, not in shape, not skiing correct or a variety of issues. It should be within a few beats of 145 regardless of line length.

Scoke, when I read your post I question the statement if your HR is over 145bpm during your "activity" and it involves fine motor skills and visual recognition, it's not a good thing! For a comparison I up loaded from my Garmin a mountain bike ride I took today. The trail was very technical and rocky with some cat 4 & 5 section. On the way up my average heart rate was 161 bpm with a few spikes in the 171 four beats from my max. What surprised me was my downhill heart rate averaged 138 bpm, I downhill pretty fast and fine motor skills and visual recognition is big. I checked several rides over the last year and the outcome was all similar. I would have to agree over 145 bpm is not a good thing when skiing.

• Baller
Someone brought this thread up at the lake last night and I remembered that Harold Hintringer wears one of these occasionally. We asked him what the max rate he sees is and he replied about 180. He skies consistently into 41. I've never measured mine at the lake, but last year I had a Nuclear Stress Test on the treadmill. Based on my at rest heart rate of 50, age of 57, and weight of 180, they calculated a target rate of 139 for the test. It took nearly 20 minutes and 5 levels on the treadmill to reach that rate for me. I'd really be interested in trying out Harold's monitor to see what I reach in the course.

• Baller

Normally I am floating in the 145-150 range during passes. Had an interesting thing happen to me though.

I went out of town for about 3 days, no exercise but my eating was decent. Total time of not skiing was 5 days.

First set off the dock had to really breath it down as I was bumping into the low 160's the whole set.

• Baller

I expect to perform at a high level.

I expect to ski better each set out every time.

I expect to be a better skier every time I come off the water.

I expect to never stop learning.

I expect Ball of Hair to never cut his hair.

I expect Ball of Hair to cut his hair into a crewcut if he does get a cut. I've got a Supercuts coupon for him.

• Baller

@bmiller - Could water temp have an effect on this? I would imagine the colder water is going to cause your heart rate to go up a little bit.

-actually cool/colder water helps you recover and lower heart rate a bit. warm/hot water increases your core temp which increases blood flow to capillaries to cool you off thru sweating (which doesn't work in hot water). Some triatheletes have actually died from heat exhaustion from swimming in hot water for long periods.

• Baller
Years ago there was a heart rate study done at the AWSA (old school) research. Terry Eberhardt did it. all three events. It is prolly floating around somewhere in the usah2o library. I remember jumpers spiking very high along with trickers. Alot of heart rate has to do with cardiovascular conditioning. I regularly hit the mid 190's while mountainbiking. No where close while skiing, even at 39off.