1996 Centurion Lapoint Elite Need Advice

454SS

• Baller_
New I kept these Boat Buyers Guides for reason. This is on the elite lx. Fast for the day. 49mph with Black Scorpion. Centurion Articilating Tracking System or CATS where the rudder was somehow connected to a forward rudder. One of the tracking fins I would assume. Two rudders work together for better tracking according to Centurian. Not sure how easy that would be to tune or fix if it went bad. No mention of this system in later years. WSM "15 off rooster tail flatter at 22. A little harder at 28 off but flat. 35 off shallow dip. Never skied behind one.

• Baller

Scorpion was EFI, not sure about the mag, but I think it was as well.  I have Mag MPI in my mind (multi-port injection). 

My bro had a scorpion in a Gekko GTR-22...that thing vapor locked on hot days like no motor I have ever experienced. 

Just purchased my first boat today thanks in part to some of the information you guys gave me. Saw the boat in person and it I had to have it. I'm so excited for ski season now I can't sleep which is the reason why I am typing this at midnight.

• Baller

Very nice.  Nothing like the feeling of your first boat.  Congratulations.

Jackrash...on ski it again there is a low hour, 2008 SVFara w/the 343 asking $15.9K.  If I hadn't bought a used SN 196 last year I would be on it.  The ballers can correct me if wrong, but it's the old Infinity hull, no?  The one tourney I skied behind infinity back in the day I thought it had a great wake (tho only skied 28 and shorter at 36 mph), and terribly strong pull for the day, no spray issues.  Never drove one.  Price seems mighty attractive for a 2008.  Took me that kind of dough to buy a low hour 2000 Nautique. 

• Baller
6Balls: I have been looking at that boat all winter. I would really like to hear from someone about how it skis and drives. I am also a little afraid of the mid-mounted v-drive, just because I don't know anything about it. Right now I am looking at a 2000 Nautique, a 2000 Am. Skier Volante, a 1997 Am. Skier Volante, and a 1997 Nautique, that are in the same ballpark (all a little less) but are all 8-10 years older.

• Baller

The driver's at the tourney liked the Infinity.  I remember great wakes at 36 mph, but can't remember what the 34 mph skiers thought about various lengths.

I ended up buying a '00 SN 196 w/84 hours the fall prior to last for $17000 on consignment.  At the time was looking for $15K max, but w/84 hours, an hour drive to check it out, and on consignment at dealer so with no sales tax I had to go look.  He was asking $19,800, but needed to sell badly so got a nice deal at $17K even and no tax.  No regrets. 

Buddy has a '97 SN 196 and though we have same hull and it skis great, I dislike all of his dash breaker switches.  Wish I could tell you more about the SVFARA/Infinity.  Seems to be a screaming price for a '08 w/only 40 hours, and have to assume w/343 it could be upgraded to Zero Off.

Good luck on your boat hunt.

• Baller
That Svfara is a screaming deal!  I almost bought it from him when it was $18,900.  It's a ZX-1 with a nicer interior.  They're lightning quick, and fast = 50+.  They also handle and track awesome.  Svfara also uses the same Faria instrumentation as Nautique LE/TE's.  If I didn't just buy a 196, I may be on my way to grab that boat right now.  In fact, my brother might go buy it.  Be warned though, the one who buys it will be stuck with it, or take a huge loss like the owner.  He started posting it at 22 or 23 grand over a year ago.  Most ZX-1's sell in the 10-13 range, but of course, this boat is newer.  It's a steal for what it is.  The problem is not many people really know what it is. 

• Baller_
454SS, Congrats. The boat really does look to be in great shape. Love to see some more pics. The SVone does seem like a great deal. They have so much room inside. The layout is perfect. And that's just his asking price. http://waterskimag.com/VTD/2008/Svfara/index.html?manufacture=1&boat=1 WSM Vid of the 08 SVone. What's on Todd's head? Is he trying to be French Canadian?

• Baller

Not to rain on anyones parade, and the cent does indeed look nice.  Perhaps I had a lemon, but I'll never buy another boat with a Merc in it. Too many problems = too much money out of warrenty. I had dropped more than $2500 on my Merc before it hit 500 hours. It was an 02, the 315 EFI. Water pumps, bad pullys / bearings /belts, ect.

usaski1, I have never had a Merc before, hopefully yours was just a fluke, I am still in college and probably couldn't afford to have anything major go wrong with this engine. The upside is that this boat looks as though the previous owner knew how to take care of it. Also Im not sure but I think your boat may have had a completely different engine. Wondering if anyone else on this site has had problems with this engine before. My biggest concern right now is the EFI, don't know how easy it would be to work on it if something goes wrong.