The $2,000 price barrier has been broken!!

jdarwin

• Baller

An ad on Ski-it-Again for the new Sans Rival ski:

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?topic=Search&postid=14668

I know the Warp broke the barrier several years ago but it was a limited production item and not distributed in the US to a large degree. 

I find it hard to believe that ANY ski is worth $2k.  I've bought complete cars for less.  And, from a marketing strategy, I feel it is a waste of time advertising this on a "used" product website.  Most folks who frequent ski-it-again are looking for deals.  $2k for a new ski is not a "deal".  I hope this price point does not become the norm.

P.S. - but the shipping is FREE!! 

• Administrators

If you do that math it really is not that bad. You can not design, build and sell a ski for much less unless you are trying to no make money. There will always be skis like the Vice or C.O.X. if you need to be sub 1K. 

What does a box of Cerial cereal cost in the store vs cost of the raw materials? Rate of inflation... yadda yadda yadda.

it would be easier to stomach a new ski every few seasons if they were still in the $600-800 range with bindings...  but $1200 and up for a BLANK ski is hard to tolerate.  Then when your bindings wear out you've got to drop another $350-400... 

Which brings me to my next point, why are Animals so EXPENSIVE?  They haven't changed the design in 6 seasons (outside of the color).  

• Baller

Mad11 wrote "...seems cheap If I could ride it for 3 seasons..."

I rode an MPD for 3 seasons and would have gone longer if I hadnt come across a decent deal on a new Strada last season.  Still have the MPD and wouldn't be afraid to get right back on it, still skis great.  Got buddies who bought their MPD's the same time I did who still ride them and still ski exceptionally well on them.  I expect to get at least two more years out of my Strada before I consider moving on.  For what these skis cost these days if you can't get 3 good seasons of use out of them then WTF.

Ed

• Baller

It seems like this thread is going the way of the "are you riding a broken down ski" one from a few weeks ago.

I am sitting here in Crested Butte CO at the moment after a week of snow skiing. I was checking out the skis in the shop and wondering how long the life span of a typical set of high end snow skis is. I mean you literally ride these things for hours per day of skiing. I would imagine that avid skiers hitting the slopes multiple times per week put hundreds of hours on these things during one season. Ice, rails, jumps, an occasional rock... Maybe you serious snow ski guys can shed light on this. 

I mean really, how much time do we spend actually riding a water ski during a set. Not the 10-15 minutes in the lake, but actually on top of the water? 4-5 minutes per set?  I would pay 2k easily for a ski if there is a guarantee that you can get 3 seasons of normal use out of it. I also don't mind if that makes it weigh 8 oz. more either. 

As an aside, I have never seen Goode snow skis on the slopes. (Only ski ever year or two though so not much of a sample size)

• Administrators
Not exactly the same use case. Scoke can you fill in for me here.... I-beam hight - compression - tension - ski thickness yadda yadda yadda

• Baller

I won't break $2K for a specific manufacturers ski when other top of the line skis from other manufacturers are significantly less.  I'm convinced all of the top skis are great skis with excellent durability, and that none of these skis are $1K better than another. 

• Baller

Scot, I use Goodes on the snow. I have a pair that is in its 4th season. They still work well but they have softened up a bit. I ride them primarily in the bumps (25 turns per 100' of elevation drop - I skied 20,000 feet the day we had a recording altimeter). They go out 15+ days per year. The Goode wide skis that I use for powder (6+ days/year) softened up after 1.5 years but they still are great in powder. Bumps work the skis harder I would think but both snows flex the skis a lot. I'm pretty agressive on the snow (I'm better than you! GNAR points!). The Salomon bindings broke before the skis (replaced the bindings with Markers - more holes - and just got 5 hard days out of them. Goode snow skis rock and last.

Regarding $2000 skis, I used to advise people not to build their own skis because it was too expensive. Maybe that thinking is no longer valid.

Eric

• Baller

Scot,

Back in my alpine racing days, I'd have one pair (for each discipline) dedicated for races only, and went through another one or two pair of training skis (per discipline) each season - which was pretty much July, then Nov-Mar.  If it wasn't for Dynastar, Marker and Technica's generous sponsorships, it would've been tough on my parent's wallet!

• Baller

Hey, I'm trying to keep me and my 2 kids in updated equipment and they are getting more interested in all 3 events.  Since they are still growing the expenses never stop :(.  New boat with ZO (that was for me!!), bigger skis, new vests, jump suits, helmets, trick skis, gloves, . . .  argh!!