What do you say in the water to start?

Bulldog

• Baller
Informal discussion: What do you say when getting pulled out of the water? I say tighten up, followed by YEP, then I also watch my beautiful brides arm as she moves the throttle (I would watch anyone elses arm as well). I teach my kids to say HIT IT! What do you say?

"Do Better..."

• Baller
I am fortunate enough to hear a variety of instructions to start. The best is "ready when you are". It let's the driver know that he is dealing with an expert, capable of achieving the start without notice, at the will of the driver. Immediately the driver should feel slightly in awe to be at the helm for talent at the end of the rope...

• Baller
Damn I didn't realize how good a skier I am. Clearly utwaterski is better. Iam only confident enough to get up at any moment. Not positive I will make it to the other end. Now that's the sign of true excellence.

• Baller

I love this thread. I think I say "ready", "whenever", and "alrighty" most. I wonder if my subconscious choice of one over the other has any correlation to my mood and therefore performance.....

What's with parents having their kids say "hit it", mine definitely did that too. One of my favorites from my dad is "let's do it to it!"

• Baller
Say "pull". This word does not get confused with stop, no, go. It was required at some ski schools and tourneys back in the day for safety reasons. I always look back to make sure skier is ready, look forward and go.

• Baller

In our lake, we luckily have a professional driver. He will know by looking at you when you are ready...

With the rest, and regardless if it is Spanish or English, for starting more than one word and with a softer voice (e.g. "ready whenever you are", "OK, let's go" or similar), one LOUD word only for NOT going (e.g. "STOP", or "NO")

• Baller
In our area the most common seems to be "OK, (name)" to which the driver responds while checking the skier and the rope in the mirror or over their shoulder with "alright, here we go". Kind of a team thing. My 14 yo son is driving now at our private lake and I've trained him to always confirm that the rope is tight (without dragging the skier) and that he sees, in addition to hearing, that the skier is ready. My 12 yo will sometime say "OK" before the rope is actually tight so besides telling him that he needs to wait until the rope is tight or tell the driver to take the slack out, it's good that our drivers are checking the skier out closely.

I'll follow you

Get me outta here

Let's rip it

let's see what that Pinto has (when skiiing behind the MC)

Giver' all shes got (again when behind the MC)

Hammer it boyz

The three of us always try and come up with something different - key word there is three of us, we know each other well and words really aren't even necessary, two of us (Nauti owners) just like to rag on the MasterCrap!!

• Baller

Whats with the "tighten up"? I pulled someone last year that said that and it struck me as odd. With the 100s of passes we do in a season, is there any doubt that the driver will NOT tighten it up? Maybe for beginners that stuggle getting up and like to be drug a bit, but otherwise I would think the "tighten up" is implied prior to pulling the skier out of the water. Should I get the boat straight also? LOL, please tell me how to do this.

A simple "OK, yup, lets do it, I'm ready, hang ten, let er rip" etc, is fine.....

• Baller

Got to ski with some Chicago brothers and appreciated their "Make it happen, Cap'n." I usually just go with a nice "Hup", picked up from one of the all-time great guys, the venerable TC. When I ski with my brother, we get by with just looking at each other.

Nando