vest/advice/rehab for low back issues

fpjl

• Baller
Started off new season with some low back pain. Now with numbness L4 distribution. Told I had bulging disk/torn annulus. Working on core stuff. Any advice on vests? Any advice on rehab? Midride ski? Giving it a few more weeks before I give it another shot. Thanks in advance for any advice.

• Baller_
I've been working on cars for 25 years, and know the low back pain thing well. Been doing this routine daily for years and it has made a huge improvement in my core. I also agree w/ Wish, the inversion table helps too, but core strengthening, and learning to ski with a strong, leveraged, stacked body position will lead to prevention of the dreaded low back issues. The black and orange vest should be a last resort IMO.

• Baller

Having owned a Goode Power Vest I can assure you it will allow you to ski with back problems when you otherwise could not. I had one of the first ones and found it rather bulky feeling. Since then they have developed the Elite Version which is less restrictive. Seems to work well for Dave Miller.

I strongly agree with Richard and there are a lot of good programs for core development which is essential..........ED

• Baller

I would advise you to be very careful with your low back.  I had a similar issue 6 years ago and decided to ski through it…It got worse.  If you can avoid surgery, that is your best option.  I ended up having surgery, which could have been avoided if I would have made better decisions and limited my skiing.  6 years later, I still struggle with low back pain.  Focus on your core and stretching.  I have tried just about everything and found that a good workout program and yoga seem to give me the best results.  Everyone is different, so you have to keep trying things until you find something that works for you.

If you do decide to keep skiing, do yourself a favor and pick up a Goode Powervest.  Go with the standard, not the elite, as the standard helps with the lower back, the elite does not.  This will allow you to ski and protect your back.  Good Luck!

• Baller
Ruptured a disk about 5 years ago in August. Skied through early September before the pain in my back and right leg became unbearable. Saw a surgeon -- he wanted to operate -- cuz that's what surgeons do. Went to my physical therapist, who has worked on various injuries for me for over 10 years. Took a slow and measured approach to rehab with stretching and strengthening and retraining various core muscles. Prior to this injury I would have at least one severe back problem every year. Since the injury and with rehab and better skiing technique, I've had no injuries of the severity of those before the disc blew, and when I have had setbacks, I've been back in the water in a week with some additional rehab. Take your time, rehab right, stretch, strengthen, THEN come back to skiing slowly.

• Baller
I blew out my L5 disc over 20 years ago. Couldn't stand on my tiptoe (left leg) due to the pressure on the nerve. At the time the only option besides surgery was a process called Chemonucleolysis. Injected an enzyme in the disc to de-nature and shrink the cushion inside the disc and relieve the pressure. If it didn't work you still had the option for surgery later on. Whatever you decide make surgery the very last ditch option.I have continued my skiing and there are times when I pay the price much like Razorskier 1 says. There is a back information book out there by a Doctor Hamilton I believe and it has all you need to know mentally and otherwise.Research all you can and let the pain be your guide . I have an inversion table and it helps but I can't use it every day as it begins to separate my knee and aggravates it as well. Read and be smart, listen to your body and stay out of those rocking chairs, they will age you faster than anything ! Don't be afraid to have fun but don't be stupid either. I used to ski a Goode ski and many seniors do as well but I found that when I got into trouble on the slalom course something about the way Goodes' energy transfer put a focused amount of pressure through my back that no other ski has so I got off it.Not to slam Goode , they are great but if you have injured your back be aware Goode has a dark side is all. The mid-ride may be better for that reason. Just theory and opinion of course. By the way the Doctors said I could probably continue skiing up to 28 off/34mph. My PB is a couple at 32 off and I feel if I had the time and talent 35 and 38 could be done if you stay in shape and stretch !