What I think USAWS can learn from INT (Part 1)

Horton

• Administrators

For the sport to move forward both USAWS and INT need to grow. This is NOT a “Us vs. Them” thing.

There are a few obvious things that INT does better and I just do not see why USAWS cannot learn from them.

The easiest thing to fix is the way we treat newer skiers. This is not about how do we get a skier to their first tournament, that is another HUGE problem. My focus here assumes we get a new skier to a USAWS class C.

USAWS ranking definitions puts a skier whose ranking is in the bottom ½ of the country at Level 6 or below. I would like to propose that we have a second set of rules for Level 6 and below.

Mini Course buoys? ½ point for Mini balls and full point for full balls.

A Mulligan

No tower judges – just a boat judge. Less technical officiating and more mentorship. Less need to make new skiers work the event. So literally a different event class.

Ski them in their own ability based group

Ski them mid day. The hard core guys understand they may have to ski at 8am.

I am literally saying that if you are Level 6 or less you will always have a less stressful experience at a USAWS event. If you want to ski with the Level 7 - 9 that is cool too but you do not have to.

Maybe Grass Roots does some of this. There is one lake here in Bako that does a Grass Roots thing every year. I say we integrate this into EVERY class C.

These ideas may not be fully baked but we need a conversation about this. If you have constructive idea, lets hear it. HQ will hear about it.

• Administrators
Could entry fees be less for these skiers? Is it practical? Can the club make up the loss w/ lower sanction fees? or ... (no idea if that is doable)

• Administrators
If you are a Level 7 and above, and you want the ski and boat companies to exist in a few years you are going to have to carry some of the weight. We need new skiers addicted to the sport

I am not sure where I heard this, it may have been on this website...

#1 Split the tournament into two groups...an A.M. and P.M. group (this works for slalom tourney's only)

You do not have to wait around all day at the tournament and can ski three rounds in half the time. The only down fall I can think of is getting enough judges and drivers.

#2 Make it easier to become a driver and official

The entry fees must remain the same. The clubs are on the line enough already. Being new to tourneys should not exempt you from the cost. I came from the INT to USA and was into 38 off at my first few events.

The INT also has a good idea with ability based groups. The age group format is stupid. If you hold a MM, you should not be allowed into an age group. Raise the qualification if you must but seperate them.

• Administrators

@bmiller3536

The other thing INT does so well is make skier WANT to hang out all day. I think that is were your 1/2 day thing falls apart.

There is a USAWS culture that is Ski, Judge and Run. Not everywhere but at a lot of places the culture is sucks. Honestly, I want to ski my 3 rounds and leave but for the new guys this is not as social. We need to make tournaments as fun and friendly as we can.

There are a few events I go to every year were Saturday ends with a BBQ and a social event. Wish the new folks only saw this side of USAWS.

• Administrators

@MS maybe cost should not be an issue. We need to look at all angles....

As far as your level of skiing before moving over to USAWS, you are the exception. At least around here, INT crushes USAWS as far as lower level skiers.

I am telling you guys it is about culture...

• Baller

I will say this out right. I have never skied in a INT or USAWS event, Never competed. Do I want to? - Yes. Do I have the time? - Not right now. After years of competitively rowing while having skiing on the back burner I finally got the time to ski more than just once a week this year. I was on the water starting in March instead of June. I thought I was finally going to round some buoys and throw some scores in the books this summer but opportunities open up and I took a sweet summer job, which involves skiing a lot but prevents me from competing.

So what I'm asking of USAWS is to add more days to the week so I can have some time to skin in a tournament. Is that to much to ask?

• Baller

JH - I've only seen the setup for one INT event which was being held at Bell Acqua Lake 1 a couple of years ago. There was a good vibe on the Friday night before, but I didn't hang around on the weekend to see what their "culture" was like or how their event ran. The only thing I didn't dig was that there was a christian bent to the deal. They were telling me how they were going to have a little pre-ski prayer on Sunday AM. Not my gig, but whatever.

How would you describe their culture that makes you want to hang out longer? To me that doesn't sound so much like a USAWS thing, but more of a whoever is running the tournament thing.

Great music on the speakers.

Good anouncer (not Horton like)

Awards

Points towards progression

INT nationals are a blast. Side by side lakes with the anouncers talking about the wakeboarders while the slalom skiers are sitting on the ends. keeps the spectators busy.

• Administrators

For better or worse, USAWS is a sporting federation whose job is to enforce rules and sanction events (other stuff too I know).

INT is a marketing organization whose success depends of skiers having a good time, telling their friends and coming back.

INT events are more laid back. Less officiating maybe less structured.

Miss your ride…. No problem ski when you are ready. (I think this is true... could be wrong)

Having some kind of event mentor or mentors would be a good idea in general. You want an on site resource that can help set new skiers up with clubs and good people to hang out with for the day. You want the new skiers leaving the event knowing that there are people that will be disappointed if they miss the next event. Ideally, you'd pair that new skier with a veteran that wants to help nurture their involvement in the sport.

• Administrators

@jimbrake

Yes you are right. It is has a lot to do with who runs the event.

I think that INT tries to make every event super friendly - like the best USAWS events.

There are a few USAWS events in the west that are so good that other sites are taking note and trying to do the same thing. Imperial Lakes knocks it out of the park every fall. Bill Barret at Paradise has been working for the last few years to follow that template had his tournaments are now a can't miss.

I still think we need to do more to capture the new skiers

• Baller

I would love to do low-key midweek USAWS Class-C tournaments but the current system doesn't make it feasible. Almost $200 of upfront sanction fees dictate a critical mass of skiers needed to put on a tournament. Additionally, the large number of required officials (Safety, Driver, 3 judges, scorer) makes it difficult, if not impossible, to do during the week.

I like JH's idea of trimming down the requirements for officials - all you really need is a driver and a boat judge (along with some golfer etiquette for the skiers to call their own gates).

• Administrators

If under Class C or better, gates are not optional. @Kelvin, when I ski I want 3 judges and the best driver I can get. I am a geek and a lifer. If I miss the gates I want you to take them. (never happens - I may screwup 1 ball everyday but never miss gates)

But if a skier wants to ski Class (f?) who needs gates? This is not for anyone in the upper 1/2 of the rankings list.

My original idea is about adding a low stress / less rules focused division to a normal Class C or higher. I am going to go run my 99 or 100 balls and then go judge.... but at some point we stop, put in the mini balls and encourage the new guys. We just need to make the effort.

I know that there are a few tournies in Mich. that are ability based and generally do pretty well. The biggest problem that I see is the new kids feeling like outsiders at tournaments. I know that the first one that I did when I was 16 I felt pretty out of place and didnt really feel comfortable. It would be huge just to have someone down on the dock to make sure that your comfortable, ready to go, and to ask any last min questions.

Growing up swimming in USA meets, there was always a coach or high school swimmer down at the starting blocks to help the younger or inexperienced get ready for their race, and imo it worked well.

• Baller

This topic hits very close to home for me and the group I represent. I'm definately a nobody in terms of this forum but I read much that is written here and respect and apprectiate the advise / perspective it presents. As it turns out, I'm the president of what I'll call a blue collar ski club in Indianapolis comprised mostly of beginners and inner-course skiers. We have a few choice members that represent the talent of the typical USAWS 3-event circuit a few of which placed top 25 in nationals last year.

By in large, the comments that I've read thus far in this thread are exactly the mind-set and comflict which my club is met with in terms of the typical "elitist" mentality that exists in today's 3-event world. I have attended as many grassroots tournaments over the past (2) years as possible and offered within proximity of my front door. This equates to less than (10). I have not attended any INT events because up till this year there has been no local participation in this organization. (even still the closest is Northen Indiana 3hrs) I have checked out thier website for reference and love their take on division and regulation as mentioned above. A simplification to say the least but for the most part, only a few percentage of us skiers are ever going to need to split hairs over a pass we may or may not have made (ie, not going into ANY record books). So why all the pomp and circumstance? I've heard it from many on this forum as well as others; somebody needs to bring the fun back to tournament skiing! BBQ, TUNES, and beverages included!

Indiana has a great heritage of water skiers and LOTS of talent has spawned out of our midwest region. IWSA, the local sanctioning body is suffering from the same strains that Horton initially mentioned in the "us vs. them" but in a different form. From dwindling numbers, loss of sponsorship, judges and officials growing old with nobody to fill thier shoes, more and more with each passing year. But on the same token, by a show of hands (webcams asside) how many of you "original ballers" grew up on, live on, or are vested in your own private ski site? How open is this site to "newbies" and visitors? OB said it best- "growning the sport take(s) water time away from us?" This sport is a reciprocal environment because it CAN NOT be performed alone.

Don't get me wrong, my (5) year plan includes ownership and residence on a private lake so I to can ski (7) days a week in the spring, summer, fall, holiday's, and special occasions. I am not so proud as to say that when that day comes I too will appreciate what I've been working my whole life for and my reluctance to share may regress to childhood sandbox days.

I look forward to this discussion and ANYONE willing to come join us for a set on the White River downtown Indianapolis. check out www.indyskiers.com for my contact info and drop me a line. Volunteers are also welcome during one of our twenty some events offered each year to skiers of all abilities.

• Baller
If you're a level 8 or whatever ranked skier, do you still have an automatic Assistant Judges rating? I know it was this way 1-2 years ago, and that allowed me to help in tournaments. I'm fully capable and knowledgeable in the scoring and judging, but do not have the time to run the gauntlet it takes to get a judges rating. As OB points out, this is an enormous issue that puts added stress and less fun at USAWS tournaments. I applaud those that are judges and that took the time to get credentialed, can't ski without them, but we could make it easier on them and everyone else, while upholding quality scoring.

• Administrators

@OB that event sounds great for guys at our level but we (as a sport) must look to keep new people coming into the sport.

I would not blame you for limiting your club or one event but in terms of general tournaments we must make it easier for people to at least get a taste of what we do.

• Baller

Horton,

I think making tournaments more successful is a lot simpler, in theory, than it seems. Here's my opinion:

The single biggest problem with tournaments right now is that they are an inferior substitute to practice. You don't compete against other people in tournaments, you compete against yourself. Just like in practice. There are only a few differences. The negatives of a tournament are that it costs more than a practice set and it takes up a lot of time. The positives are that the score is "official" and you get to see your friends.

Now look at the two "positives" of skiing tournaments from the perspective of someone who is just starting the sport. Do they apply? The answer is no. Beginners don't lust after tournament pb's like we do and they don't have friends at the events.

Beginners have no incentive to get involved.

The only way to change that is to make tournaments a superior experience to practice. I, along with almost everyone I talk to about this, thinks the best way to do this is to introduce true competition into tournament skiing through ability based divisions.

I'd welcome other changes as well but only if they don't overwhelming the most obvious flaw in our sport. Just take this great, simple, idea and apply it. I will try to do the same.

• Baller
OB I think that opening your lake up to the public every sunday would be a great idea that others should follow, I think that for a lot of people who are even remotely interested in skiing the course the biggest obstacle becomes finding a place to ski. I know this because while I have always been able to ski on my lake up north, finding a place near my home with a course was even harder, I am just this summer learning to ski the course for the first time after wanting to for awhile, and the hardest part was finding people willing to let me use their course. You may end up with people who aren't really that into skiing after they try it, but it gives people the opportunity to at least try and maybe a few of them will become new slalom addicts themselves.

• Baller

I just started skiing the course last year and totally became a addict.. From what I have seen the price to ski most tournaments is very fair. I also think the fastest way to progress would be to ski with people that are better than me. Coming from racing offroad motorcycles I went from an AM to single A in a summer. Just by meeting and riding with guys that were faster than me. I have not skied in any tournaments because for some reason I thought I would feel like an outsider. Maybe I should just do one and see. There are tournaments almost every weekend in my area.

Kyle

I am a former INT State Coordinator - Michigan. I have skied in an have hosted USA WS tournament at my site (www.placidwaters.com). They are two different cultures. Michigan has a great ability based series and am/pm tournaments. The vibe is still so different. Getting more involvement is key to maintaining the viability of the sport in the long term. At Placid Waters, we have Wednesday learn to slalom the course clinics. Action Watersports, a MasterCraft dealer in Hudsonville, MI, supplies the boat and fuel. No scores, just patient driving and coaching. No cost to the skiers, but the high-end skiers are not part of this, except as support and coaching.

I have lobbied for a long time to reduce the requirements for official's status and reduce the burden on the organizer. I keep getting the old saw of "cheating" and "legitimate" scores. I guess we have a rather poor culture in the sport.... at least from the organized perspective, I guess. However, I have not seen it.

Very few people want to spend a full day just watching endless pass after pass of slalom. It is a participation sport. People need to ski. Make it easy to ski. Make it easy to socialize, BBQ, and have fun. Make it easy to be a judge, scorer, etc. Sure, have a number of tournaments for experience purposes for Regionals or Nationals, but for a typical event, make it make sense. The hazing rituals have to stop for officials.

USA WS says the F tournaments are for getting skiers involved. The mid-level skiers don't want to be involved since they can't post a scrore, they aren't interested. We need all the groups involved, so you have a community.

Keep up the efforts and discussion. Eventually, USA WS will have to adapt or die.

• Baller_
Our Broho event over Memorial Day was a Class NC, that way we could have a Novice group, and have scores count for the rest of the skiers. The "N" part of the sanction is included for no additional charge becasuse you've paid for the "C". We had a $40. entry for Novices, guaranteed them 4 passes per round (with drops at each end) and skied them as a group after the regular running order. I encouraged anyone new to tournaments, or not having a solid couple of passes to just ski Novice and have fun (nobody enjoys MOP'ing and swimming ashore). We had good results, and plan to do the same again next year. Hopefully we can get JeanB to cook ribs again. As for making new people feel more welcome at tournaments, it's as easy as saying "hello" and introducing yourself, and paying some attention so they don't feel left out. Nobody enjoyed being the "new kid" back in our school days, so remember that when you see someone you don't recognize at your site/event.

• Baller

My list of major points:

1. Need more prevalent access to slalom courses.

2. USAWS needs to make it easier to become/maintain an official. (why does it take more work for me to keep my boat driver cert than my pilots license?)

3. Skiers need to take the time to invite and help new skiers.

4. Insurance - INT has far more insurance coverage than USAWS.

• Baller

I agree with everything MS says, and I could probably write a book about this subject!

MS and I had a total blast skiing in INT...we could BOTH be competitive within it.

It gave us beginner tournament expierence....then it was just time to move on for MS.

All I will say for now is this: If I was not married to MS...I would NEVER have the guts to show up to a USAWS event.

I am one of those level 6 skiers...my average is 4@34 15off. I also would not be a Reg judge, Asst driver, or Asst scorer. I LOVE waterskiing...I LOVE going to the tournaments...but at my level I would not be going if I wasn't "the wife", just sayin!!!

• Baller
USAWS is missing the boat on the divisions in my opinion. Ability based would be so much better than age based. Make the bracket spread 12 buoys on average. When your 3 score average increases into the next bracket, you move up. Still keep the same speeds and just base it on buoy score. 90 buoys is 90 buoys whether you are at 30mph, 32mph, 34mph or 36mph.

• Administrators

I am still thinking that the current rules are fine for anyone who is in the upper half of the rankings. There is no need to change the whole rulebook. I am totally against ability based regionals and nationals.

Those of us at above level 6 are not the issue. But the folks below that line need to feel that they belong.

Again mini balls and mulligans and no gate rule and whatever.

We can not change the culture with rules. It is up to each event to be friendly.

We can change the rules for level 6 and below so it is less scary and more fun.

• Baller
Great suggestions. HQ has been much more receptive to ideas than it used to be years ago. Look at turn and burn. It would have never been allowed years ago. The officials problem is much better with Traci in charge. I have had 3 event driver/judge ratings on and off for twenty years. I agree it does not need to be so difficult. I second behindpropellers comment about the pilot ratings being easier to keep current.

• Baller
Are you still able to automatically have an Assistant Judges rating for holding a certain level ranking on the ranking list? If not, they need to bring this back, as well as make it easier in general to get and maintain officials ratings.

• Supporting Member

Arguably biggest lesson in this thread: Mrs MS "got the bug." This proves Horton's thesis that INT is doing something right. Indeed, I concur that they are doing MANY things VERY right.

But I'm not totally sure that USAWS needs to be more like INT in all aspects. I feel it's more like USAWS needs to work with and promote INT as a "feeder system."

Nearly all of the "new" skiers in northeast USAWS tournaments in the last decade have come through INT. Some folks prefer INT forever, some continue to do both, and some switch to all-USAWS once they get into short-line skiing.

This is awesome and we need to support it, but that's not necessarily the same thing as emulating it. For those of us who are already hard-core addicts, the Spartanness and so-called elitism of USAWS tournaments can be a great fit.

All that said, we had what I consider a VERY successful experiment at the New England Slalom Championships last fall. While we officially conducted a "regular" USAWS tournament, we overlayed two ability-based groups and had skiers from each group ski together, regardless of age. We didn't have enough people for lots of different groups, but we had a big chunk in the -35'-but-not-usually-38' category, and then we used a handicapping system for everybody in the other group to compete against each other on "net buoys."

This seemed to be a great blend of fun with hard-core buoy-chasing. The logistics of this can be a little difficult, mainly because so many officials are in the -35' group. But I hope we'll be able to do something similar in the future. My impressions is people in both groups had a blast. I know I sure did.

• Supporting Member

@Skispray wrote: The single biggest problem with tournaments right now is that they are an inferior substitute to practice.

This is an important point. I firmly believe this is not the case, but if you've never been to a tournament, it sure seems logical to assume that it's true.

So here's one (possibly crazy) thought to try to make it obvious that this is NOT true:

Explicitly offer coaching.

Perhaps this could be done in a class F or even completely unsanctioned portion of the event, and allow a participant some fixed number of passes in each round, regardless of success. Have one of the veterans watch all these passes and give the skier some things to work on.

Obviously, this should only apply if the skier *wants* coaching. But perhaps it would draw in a lot of aspiring skiers and turn the intimidation factor into more of a feature. Instead of skiing "against" the best, get advice from the best!

This idea could suck, but seems worth brainstorming about.

• Baller

We run one of our tournaments as a Super Masters/Women format. Any men regardless of division who have run 35 in the last 12 months and any Women who have run 28 are put into this group. Everyone else skis in their division.

We also do awards for the kids B/G 1-3 at each tournament (last couple of years they have done their picture with their ski on the doc then put it in a frame with placement). Kids all seem to like it.

Our last tournament of the year is called the "Ski Party". Saturday night after the tournament we set up some games with teams. The winner gets a free entry to next years tournament. Then we do a big BBQ that night.

I started out with the INT and think it is a great program to get started. It was just time for me to move to the next level. When I was skiing 36mph, most the time I was the only one in my class. Plus I found 3 event skiing gave me more time on the water for about the same costs. Most the INT events I did were only one round, so if you didn't ski well that day, your pass was up and back. No chance for a second round. At least if I mess up the first round, I have something to look forward to later in the day.

I do like the part mentioned about going up to new people and talking to them at the tournament and making them feel welcome. I know when starting out, I didn't feel that welcome at some events, others were very welcoming. I think it is all about the people putting them on and how they want there tournament to feel.

Kevin

• Baller
Horton, why are you totally against ability based regionals and nationals? Granted, at that level there are enough good skiers where the age divisions are competitive, but that doesn't mean it can't be better. It seems like there are way too many divisions as is. It's possible to reform the age divisions to be a bit broader (so there are less of them) and add ability based divisions so as to keep the total number of pulls constant.

• Baller

How about this, skiers below a certain level can opt into "novice" class, the score won't count, but you might be assured a certain number of passes/mulligans, say 3 or 4. It's tough to sit around for a couple of hours, blow it on your first pass due to nerves, get in the pick up boat, and go home. At least if you enter the tournament, you know you will ski a defined number of passes. As time goes on, you become more comfortable with the tournament format, get competitive, and stop opting into "novice" class. Seems to me that a guaranteed number of pulls would attract more skiers. You could have points count within novice class, so there is a competitive edge to it. If you ski pass a certain score, you get kicked out of novice. I'm pretty sure this is close to the way it works now, right or wrong??

Now if the really good skiers take a few minutes to give advice or encouragement to the "novices", then the fun factor is increased for both. My 2 cents.

• Baller

Than wrote:

"Explicitly offer coaching.

Perhaps this could be done in a class F or even completely unsanctioned portion of the event, and allow a participant some fixed number of passes in each round, regardless of success. Have one of the veterans watch all these passes and give the skier some things to work on.

Obviously, this should only apply if the skier *wants* coaching. But perhaps it would draw in a lot of aspiring skiers and turn the intimidation factor into more of a feature. Instead of skiing "against" the best, get advice from the best!"

+1 on this idea. If this were available, I would have been back skiing tournaments ten or more years sooner than I did. For those without regular access to private water, offering a tournament-like experience with practice/coaching makes the long drive, motel room, entry fees and time all seem worthwhile. Guarantee four passes or four falls and you've got a winning proposition.

I think this would help grow the sport from the middle - those who have already invested in their time and equipment to become proficient, but have to balance other life factors that prevent them from skiing every week. It won't get total "newbies" coming out, but I suspect there are many mid-level skiers who are intimidated by the prospect of "one and out" who would flock to this format.

My 2 cents...

• Administrators

@skispray

At a national level - ability based divisions allows skier to manipulate their division. At nationals I am totally against MM and Open unless entry is mandatory. You get skiers sandbagging to win. At an upper level I do not see the point of being the best of the guys who are only so good. National Champ should mean baddest ass dude around.

The yearly “go-round” with 55k and M3, M4 & M5 is silly. A national champ should be the champ of a clearly defined division. Some years the M3 and M4 winner has a higher score than the M55.

The year I got silver in jump at Nats, the guy that beat me was a Pro and I had an Open rating. Did the guy that got bronze deserve the gold? (maybe) I am thrilled to have a silver but in reality I should have gotten last in Open. It just has to be clear cut and not based on the division a skier chooses to compete in (or sandbag to compete in) (thanks for giving me a chance to talk about when I was young and promising :-)

At a local level it is a different deal. There it is about keeping the new skiers from being intimidated by the elite skiers. I am all about ability levels for local events.

The idea of a split sanction is appealing. If you want a traditional ranked round, ski the C-class portion of the tournament. If you want to ski a more relaxed event, choose the alternative side of the sanction.

I think that you can and should integrate the two styles in one event. I won't qualify for regionals any time soon, but I'd hate if the elite skiers skipped the beginner friendly event.

• Baller

From greghayes post above, "...For those without regular access to private water, offering a tournament-like experience with practice/coaching makes the long drive, motel room, entry fees and time all seem worthwhile. Guarantee four passes or four falls and you've got a winning proposition.

I think this would help grow the sport from the middle - those who have already invested in their time and equipment to become proficient, but have to balance other life factors that prevent them from skiing every week. It won't get total "newbies" coming out, but I suspect there are many mid-level skiers who are intimidated by the prospect of "one and out" who would flock to this format."

Even in INT it's two-and-out with the Mulligan on the first pass rule. Hell, I'd like to see INT adopt this idea. Excellent post Greg and a really good, progressive idea IMO.

Ed

• Baller

I have been working on an article on this very topic. It's not yet ready for primetime, but I thought I'd share a few points...

I firmly believe that 90% of any of the mearsurable growth in our sport is purely due to procreation. Competitive water skiers' kids are the top demographic of our "newcomers" to the competitive side of the sport. We all recognize the last names at the regional junior tournaments; it's a whos-who lineage of sorts.

But what are you doing about this? Do you know why we are not attracting new skiers? What are the barriers to the growth of our sport?

I see the areas of focus as:

1) Visibility - There are water skiiers who are on your local public lakes who don't even know that competitions or competitive sites exist in your area. How could you raise their awareness? Is there a ski shop still selling slalom skis in your town/city? What if each slalom sold came with a flier about your local competitions? Do you attempt to advertise the competitions with "free admission to spectators?"

2) Calm water - Slalom used to rule the public lakes. Slalom is usually the entryway into competition. Wake sports make the water unusable for slalom. How can you help slalom skiers find smooth water?

3) Learning opportunities - Where can a newbie get a lesson? How would he or she know that?

4) Access to courses - How can we attract new competitors if they can't have access to the course? What can your club/lake do to offer access at off hours or special newbie events?

5) Cost - Newbie's might run a pass, maybe two... so for my $60 fee I get 2 rounds of 2 passes? That's $15 per pass! What can your club do to offer appropriate tournament fees to your beginner competitors? Likewise, what about offering lake practice time coupons for your beginner competitors - reward the engaged newbies with opportunities to stay engaged.

6) Bureaucracy - Recently at a judge’s clinic, I hear someone say, “it’s called skiing, not judging!” That statement underscores the excessive rules of our sport. The Grass Roots and INT series have recognized that beginners and newbies do not need that level of rules. Just make it simple, fair and...

7) Lack of Fun - fun! It is a shame that we have to "make" our sport "fun." But for beginners, that's what we need to do. For so many beginners, the tournament may be their only time to ski on a course. Make the event such that they get ample ski time. Mulligan's, 1 free fall/miss, three rounds, practice runs before the rounds start, etc.

Our local club has been doing "grass roots" since the early 80's. Every tournament has a Novice round and in the past several years, we've been doing mini-course rounds. We have trophies for the top skiers by age and skill group in these novice/mini rounds. We group all of our club members by ability levels (never ever run a pass to 38 off and above). We have a end of season awards party to brag on the top competitor for each ability bracket. We have fun.

The biggest challenge we have is lake access for newbies. We have some options, but I want more. I just wish that just 1 person at each and every private ski lake would be allowed to offer lessons to local newbies as a way to grow the sport.

For more information about our local club's rules, see: http://www.waterskiaustin.com/Competition/Rules/index.htm