Wife's Concussion

This Sunday my wife took a bad fall on a new ski. She seemed fine when she got back in the boat. However after some time on the dock she started to get really loopy and started forgetting things more rapidly as time went on. I took her to the ER and she was repeating the same questions over and over again. The CT scan came back okay.

This is not her first concussion. The doc says these get worse each time they happen. My question is, do you guys know of a good helmet to get her? I'm assuming this is probably the best option at this point but if you have any suggestions please let me know. Thanks

• Baller
Sorry to hear it. Best option would be to not ski for a bit. When I gave myself a concussion wakeboarding my doctor wouldn't let me on the water for a month. Do a search for wakeboard helmets. There are tons available. Have you run this idea by her? I can't say that I'd want to wear one. LOL

It was her idea! If it makes her feel comfortable skiing again..... then hell yes I'll get her one. I just want her out on the water with me when she is up to it. Having your wife loose her mind for real.....sucked.

I'll do a search and see what I find. Thanks Shane.

Isn't a mouth guard better at preventing concussions from this type of injury then a helmet? It isn't like the helmet is going to deform and absorb energy when you fall and hit the water, but even with it on your teeth are still going to smash together leading to the concussion...

• Baller
I agree with kfennell, get the best "shock doctor" mouthguard you can get. In hockey mine saved me several times from hard hits on the ice. I wear it motorcycle racing too, anywhere you might take a good hit.

Even better then a shock doctor is if you can get your dentist to make you one for a reasonable price, when I played hockey I had the dentist my family had always use make me one and he didn't charge me anything, just $40 for lab fees.

• Supporting Member

Very sorry to hear that. Head injuries must be taken extremely seriously. With or without a helmet, after multiple concussions I'd get several doctor's advice on how long to stay completely away from the sport. And then I'd probably go with the longest one.

Also possibly useful when she is ready to return: Out the front falls can be greatly reduced by working on keeping your shoulders more square to the boat. I know one woman who used to do OTFs on a regular basis, and eventually developed a style with her shoulders rigidly squared to the boat. In my opinion this is not *quite* optimal for performance, but it completely eliminating her OTFs.

See also Bruce's article on shoulder squaring, in the Tech Articles on this very website.

Mouthguards are useful in preventing injury (I think Parrish skis with one). A concussion is all about inertia, I can't imagine that a mouthguard by itself would prevent any kind of closed skull injury. A helmet is all about absorbing as much energy as possible and then slowing down your skull over the longest period of time possible.

• Baller

Your cranium is hard, your brain is soft. The concussion results from the fact that bodies in motion tend to stay in motion. Your cranium is in motion with your brain, and then an impact occurs that stop the cranium, but not the brain so it slams into your own cranium. Usually it rebounds and then slams into the opposite side as well.

Helmets certainly create cushion to the blow against solid contacts ie) another helmet, the ground, the jump ramp, your ski. I'm not sure how effective they are against rapid decel caused by water impact.

Need to stay off the water and other potential head blow activities a good 2 weeks post resolution of all symptoms. Formal recommendations are one but here's why I say two.

We now use a computer program called impact for out athletes. It's a series of computerized cognitive tests done at baseline, and then post concussion comparisons can be done. The reason is that concussed athletes may return to baseline coordination, strength, social discussion and activities of daily living though the brain is not fully recovered. One of our employees kids had a concussion from hockey and all obvious indicators would say he was now at baseline. On his baseline impact testing he was 96th percentile. On his repeat despite seeming normal to all who knew him he was less than 10th percentile. We continued to hold him out until at baseline.