Malibu TXi

Not_The_Pug

• Baller
A few minutes ago I talked to a friend who had just skied behind the TXI that pulled the open. He skis between 32-36mph at 22' off and he said he couldnt tell a difference with the wake with a full tank of gas. He also said he didnt like the way it drove. He drives an 08 MC 197.

• Administrators
I worked on one of the dev boats this spring. I have not seen the final product but .... what I worked on with Malibu was better wakes at 22 off 34.

It is just another yacht that the big 3 keep pushing on us. Skis great, drives so so but it is way too big for what it is used for.

If you want to spend the day in the boat, fine, its great for that. Great for resale to the wallys.

Sucks for a tool needed to pull 3 event skiing on a 2000 x 250 lake.

MS, I have to disagree, I think the boat drives and tracks much better than the previous LXI's. The hull is much wetter, similar to the CC. I have heard several CC's owners that have even complimented the wakes (hard to believe) My son starts at 24.9 mph and goes up to 30 the wakes are much improved at the slower speeds.

• Baller_

Yes I would have to disagree also. The boat that I drove was superrior to the LXI sitting next to it. I had a chance to ski the boat 22 off tru 32 off and the wake was rather nice in comparison to it's neighbor on the lift. Driving it, again their was more hull in the water and it drove well with Reggie on the string. The 6 liter made the package far better.

Being a Nautique guy I think it is great that the other company's are commiting to three event skiing again and are thinking about the skier and not about multi purpose boats. This brings out competition amoung the manufacturers to build a better mouse trap. Malibu did a little home work and bettered their product. Keep the roll bars off the boat, offer it in a closed bow it would be a very potent package.

However I will keep my Nautique !

My comments were not that the boat is not great to ski and drive but geared towards the big 3 making boats that are much bigger then needed. The 200 is great but it is too big. The TKI is too big and the 197 is too big.

They are all good boats that serve a purpose. I just want a 17 foot CB boat/tool with no bling that can be used as a club boat. Small with sports car feel. There may not be a huge market but there is a market for somthing like this. How do you spell yacht?

• Baller
Realistically, if a company can't guarantee 200+ boats a year, they won't be able to justify development costs. They build the boats that the masses want. For the last 5 years the masses have wanted bigger boats and that's what you've gotten. A 17 footer is a pie in the sky dream. That said, MC told us three weeks ago that the replacement hull for the 197 is 6" shorter.

• Baller
I spoke with Becky when she got back from driving the Malibu Open and she was impressed with how well the boat drove. I get what MS was saying about the need for a smaller leaner boat; but I don't see it happening (IMO).

Could be the next boat but that is only due to price. The Carbon Pro is too big also.

Shane,

CC was selling over 200 196s per year. They are just afraid that a small boat would cut into the 200 sales. I would think that they are not selling over 200, V drive sport 200s and they make those. If Scott is correct, Malibu will sell you an LX and they dont sell 200 of those.

Bring back the 196

MS,

As we discussed at Regionals, the 196 is a terrible 3-event boat. The worst wake every for trick, and a pretty good bump for jump at 35.4mph. Well I would agree that we dont need huge boats on private lakes, we still have to be able to sell them when its time for an upgrade. Also, when boats were much smaller, late 70's early 80's, they also had huge nasty wakes. I guess they found a compromise somewhere with decent size boat with decently small wake. Just my $0.02

• Baller
I sold my 09 196 to my ski partner and still drive it virtually every day. It doesn't compare in tracking or wake to my 200 with the 409. Pulled Scoke behind it yesterday, and he thought it was one of the best pulls ever. No surging from ZO, and he was using C-2.

I fell in love with the 200 last year at Chet Raley's. I've owned a former promo '01 LX for 10 years and the 200 wake is WAY better at 32 and 34 MPH, 15 and 22-off. I complained to my dealer about the dirty little secret that the LXi (while great for shortliners) throws us "women", if you listen to Horton, under the bus. I was hot to buy a 200 promo when Paul Singer from Malibu called me to say I should hold off a year and he would have something to make me happy. I skied the TXI yesterday at a clinic with Seth Stisher (what a COOL guy). The TXI is the real deal! Straight from them--same top half as the LXi screwed onto the new hull. I'm officially a 32 MPH skier this year andand it is the TXi or 200 for me!

• Baller

I like em' all. Horton is right. MS is wrong. (always) Jody and I get to drive em' all. The 196 was a great ride providing it had a windshield that opened. Otherwise when driving tricks, it was like putting you in a pressure cooker. One of my ski buddies bought an 08 and we told him up front, he wouldn't get pulled with his boat without a windshield that opened. He wants to sell his stock windshield because he listened.

MS, time to take up jumping. We'll teach Mrs. MS to drive. Nautiques, MC's, Mal's, Cent's, whatever. The old response LX was a great ride. The bigger boats are easy to re-sell. You obviously are a private lake dude. Go to the "Big" Lake with 5 skiers, skis, coolers, surfboards and other water toys in a 196 or closed bow anything. Take 2 sets each and hang out all day. No dock to put your gear on, just "Lake People" and a boat. Bigger is better! Jody, the roll bar helps the resale and bangs your head occasionally. I guess if we skied on a private pond and were not "Lake People" just" people that go to the lake", we'd have a bare bones lake tractor, but we don't and bigger is better!

Come on down to the "Big Lake" and swerve with us! Maybe just free ski and hang out. It'll take you back to "What brought us here"!

Ask Sully, Wade, Marcus or any of the guard, they'll tell you! (you really don't need to take up jumping). "If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough"!

Big lake people can buy big boats. dock skiers can buy (should have option to buy) small boats. I free skied on big water for 35 years and didnt have a taste of small lake until I was 38.

I am not bashing the wakes or the boats, I love skiing them all. I just want the option of a smaller boat and could care less about bling.

• Baller_
Had the opportunity to ski a TXi, very nice boat. Wakes are great at a wide variety of lengths, no bump at the longer lenghts and at shorter length's, flat, smooth and no spray. Boat is also a pleasure to drive, the weighted steering wheel is actually very nice as it tends to center itself. Ergonomics are very good, visibility is very good and the black dash is a great improvement. Handles very well. Should be a very popular boat.

Judging from the comments, Nautique would be well served to look at bringing back a "bare bones" boat ala the 176 or the 196 that was out for a year or two with no bells or whistles. Seems like no back seat, combing pads or padded motor cover if I remember correctly. For competition lakes the 176 would be a great boat IMO. I think there is enough difference that a 176 wouldn't cut into the 200 sales all that much. However, much more profit in a 200 than a bare bones 176 and if you are building all that you can, sell what makes you the most.

• Baller

Gas prices have changed since the big boat craze took effect. OK, the gas you spend on the water is not really an issue. But people are dropping their big FUVs for more modest fuel efficient cars. These cars cannot tow a monster boat but they could tow a smaller lighter boat. That will drive a return to a smaller boat in the general market.

Tournament specific traits can be dialed for any size boat. Even bad boats can be marketed to a ridiculously loyal clientele (MS the 196 was an awful 3 event boat that never got fixed). Size is a small variable in boat design - if quality waterskiing is the goal.

The recent Malibus are too big to fit in my boathouse. The 200 is close. Actually my MC 197 barely fits. There was tons of room for the old American Skier (which is a great 3 event boat). My Ford Ranger V6 suffers when towing my MC with a dual axle trailer but barely notices the single axle American skier.

Public water waterskiing is dying faster than the sport as a whole. Tubing might be growing but restrictions on public water are killing casual participation. Wii waterskiing is more available. Private lakes are where skiing is still possible.

Malibu still owns the molds for its smaller boats. Hopefully MC and Nautique still have the molds for the great older boats they made (94 MC and the 98 Nautique or 176 could step in immediately with excellent technical skiing characteristics). Development costs? Maybe some materials engineering to save a bit more weight and ballast tanks to add it back on the water. A few hundred pounds of missing material might lower the costs of a smaller boat - and still leave a profit margin.

Towers rock! But they could be a lot lighter and stay well away from the rope.

Eric

• Baller
Wow, I've never heard the 196 called awful before? Does that mean 3 event as a whole, or just for a couple disciplines? It's not as nice as a 200 for slalom, but I personally like it better than its competitors. I don't trick or jump, so no opinion there. They must be ok, since they sure sell fast (just sold an '07 and '08). Differe'nt strokes I guess?:-)

• Baller
Many consider the 196 to not be a good trick boat because the table was a little rough. Slalom and jump were fine. I never upgraded to a 196 from my 01 Nautique because my wife didn't like the slalom wake as well. Anyone who skis 28 and shorter finds all the boats to be good, but as most families, the people skiing 28 mph - 34 mph at 15 off make the buying decision. The rule in my house, is "if the wife ain't happy, no one is happy" (ask Eric how his purchase of the 2011 197 went over at his house). My wife likes the 200 the best out of all the current boats she has skied behind.

• Baller

You guys pining for a smaller boat need to order a Response LX. You can still get one you know! I think they call it the RTi for the closed bow version. 20' narrow slalom tractor. Still my favorite boat of all time.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/uploads/1312866619/med_gallery_6_75_133140.jpg

• Baller_

Ham! roll bars Really? I guess they are good for doing pull ups before you ski. A really big down side with roll bars is the height of the Bimini. Biminis on boats with roll bars is about as usefull as windshield wipers on a goats butt.

I see a trend to smaller boats also but it is going to take a few years as current investments by the manufacturers need to wear down.

Power to the lake people!!!

• Baller
Sully, how does that work? I know it used to be AWSA approved as it was Malibu's primary slalom rig until the LXi came out in '03. You can still get it with the same hull and the same engine block (albeit with TBW, cats, more HP). Really, the only change has been the engine output.

• Baller
Malibu has the best looking wakeboard boats on the market, but their slalom boats are just, well...boats. Why don't they make an edgier graphic on the side? They make the slalom boat so plain compared to the wakeboard boats. All the manufacturers do, you just can't get a bad ass looking slalom boat.

• Baller
I like my boats to be "plain"; I don't like all the bling and graphics. Give me sleek and clean lines anyday over the splashed on graphics. You can always get a wrap if you want to amp it up. Give me a straightline performance machine and lets go ski.

• Baller
UW, to get the Response back on the tournament approved list, Malibu would have to pay a fee to get it back into the boat test since it hasn't appeared at a boat test in over two years. Regardless of changes or not, every boat has to go through the boat test every other year. If there are running surface or drivetrain changes, they might have to go through consecutive years.

• Baller
Shane, or perhaps someone else might know, the going price for submitting boats for approval with AWSA. Even a short 15 years ago it was $10,000 per boat, and just like the post office, no discount for multiple boats from the same manufacturer. Not sure that "Stamp of Approval" sold any more boats, but AWSA was darned proud of it.

• Baller

I'm actually impressed that these large, family friendly tourney boats throw good slalom wakes. I agree not as "fun" to drive, but what I need for slalom is a reasonable hole shot, maneuverable enough around the island, up to speed w/time to spare prior to 55's, good wake, good tracking. I don't know that those things are "fun" factors, but are necessary for us.

The Lxi I drive at a private site does all of the above, so I don't care that it's big. I love driving, giving my skier a great pull and getting one in return...my little slice of heaven out there driving and skiing. I don't have any more "fun" driving my 196 on the other private site (though the 22 off skiers appreciate her). If the goal is to go out and bomb around in the boat, I understand the "fun" argument. Give my Falcon Barefoot a try and hope not to soil yourself, but you won't want to drive it in the course.

My fun is being in and behind the boat sharing a great time going around the orange balls. Give me a sportster, LX, LXi, 197, 200, 196, 206, or Carbon with some good friends and I'm having fun in the balls.

• Baller

Sorry 6balls, i was just having a little 'fun'. :-)

Agree with all your points. In fact in 26 minutes I'll be on the course with my regular group, skiing behind one of the 3 boats in our rotation (all 10+ years old) and it will be the best hour of my entire day.

Not sure what you mean by sluggish but I'll bet thats a by product of a boat that tracks better. I may be wrong but I'll bet the new BIGGER boats are also the best tracking boats ever built. Like 6balls said above, all it has to do is make it around the islands with ease and then be able to pull a skier through the course on a straight boat path. The bigger the boat the stronger the pull too, not so easy to pull the boat down.

I'm kind of playing devils advocate above, I too think I would like to see a smaller slalom boat. However, I'm starting to talk myself out of it.