Nate Smith MW Regional Video

gjohnson

• Supporting Member

Nate Smith does *exactly* what I want to do. His body type is like mine and his style is like mine (except a zillion times better). This offseason I may just watch video of him over and over. I'll never be as good as he is, and I'm fine with that. But unlike what I see from many other pros, I think I can try to emulate everything he does and end up a better skier for it.

Does he do any clinics and/or has anyone found him to be a good instructor? Or perhaps the better question is: Who is HIS instructor?

Btw, the conditions look prety marginal in that video. Usually if you can see anything on the water surface in a video, it means the actual water was pretty bad. Was that the case here?

• Baller
Earlier in the year I had to opportunity to ski with Nate at our lake in NC and had some discussion with him at the time about his interest level in coaching. At the time, he said he really didn't have an interest in coaching; but, with age comes wisdom and maybe his views will change in a few years.

• Baller
Wow, does anyone think it's crazy how low he keeps his handle after edge change and release while waiting for the ball. I'm not sure I've seen others do this to this extent. He doesn't extend until he has to extend. Clearly he's got it goin' on, so no argument!

• Baller_
Concer with MattP. I've been coached by natural tallented skiers to no avail. Had great coaching from not so great skiers. Nate's low handle position to me is just a dif way to keep good handle control and an always tight line.

• Baller

What is he doing so good? I say early edge change no matter what, doesn't pull to long (same thing). Very balanced and patient.

Oh, and he freakin gifted, hate him. I also heard from a guy that skis with him that he is not known for his coaching....at all.

• Baller

Looks like he ran 4 at 39 in round one of under 21 worlds. Does that bring to an end his massive 39 streak? pretty epic.

To be able to get away with an earlier edge change, you have to ride the line out very well, and for lack of a better term have excellent 'handle control,' which he does. He is a long way out to the buoy line before his elbow leaves his hip to release and reach. Tell me if you disagree... but, I think he releases the handle 'down and forward' or lower than almost anyone. This to help accelerate his centre of mass up on to his ski, because his ski is out in front of him so much off the second wake. He is not locked up and loaded because he is very square behind the boat and his hips are free to edge change and swing the ski out. He does most things we all try and do, just way better. Stays balanced and level - eyes up, moves with his COM and hips, awesome line control.

look how close he is to the ball when he releases. it is 39 though.

same thing at 32, just not as obvious.

• Baller

Than, no kidding, wow.

Regarding that handle motion that auskier mentioned. I noticed that too AND I noticed that Mapple and Bedal do the same thing. They stand tall, push the handled down and then back up as they complete the turn.