Strada Settings?

bbrannan127

This weekend I'll be down at the lake through memorial day, skiing 3-5 sets a day, and I thought it would be a good time to finally fine-tune my fin settings a little. Trouble is, I have never touched them before. Ever. I recently purchased a micrometer and wing angle-adjustment templates, but I don't have a clue where to start.

I'm on a 2011 Strada 66, skiing into 28/32 off @ 36 mph. Is there a set of numbers I could start from? Are the factory settings good enough? Actually, they might not be factory as I bought the ski slightly used. Like I said, no idea what I'm doing here.

Also, my Dad is on a 67 or 67.5 Monza (don't know which) from 2007/2008 and he's looking for some numbers, too. He skis into 32 @ 34 mph.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Who knows, maybe I shouldn't mess with it at all, I just thought it would be a good opportunity.

Thanks.

• Supporting Member

Personally, I wouldn't deviate from factory settings unless I had a specific problem in mind. And then I'd search the web and BOS for advice on fin adjustments specific to that problem.

I spent a while playing with a variety of options on my Goode 9900sl, and after a series of experiments I slowly made my way all the to exactly factory, where the ski feels brilliant!

Of course, there's no guarantee that any ski (even straight from the factory) is actually at the factory settings. So measuring is good.

In any case, measure anything you try, and document why you were trying it and what it did.

• Baller

My current Strada recommended settings are:

63.5 28" 2.475 6.880 0.740 7

65 28 3/8" 2.500 6.845 0.745 9

66 28 7/8" 2.505 6.843 0.755 9

67 29 3/8" 2.505 6.843 0.765 9

68 29 7/8" 2.505 6.843 0.775 8

69.5 30 7/8" 2.500 6.843 0.795 8

To measure boot placement with Radar boots, place the butt of the measuring tape against the lower stitch line below the heel and measure to tail of the ski. For the 66, I place the Strada Boots in the middle holes. For other company's boots, take away 1/8" from the boot recommendation above and measure from furthest back part of the boot. For colder water - move fin forward 0.005-0.010", shallow fin 0.003-0.010", and lengthen fin 0.005-0.010". If you need more change than this, try moving boots forward and resetting to the above settings and fine tune from there. For extremely warm water, try the opposite of above in the same increments and a 1/8" boot move back if more fin change is necessary.

Chris

Do these settings apply for the older version Stradas as well or just the 2012? I just picked up a used Strada this week and matched my PB the first set off the dock!

I also want to thank Chris for his input on BOS and putting up with all of our questions!

I would def try the wing @ 8. Rossi suggests 9 for all ski lengths (except 63 and 69). As for the bindings, it depends on what brand they are. Mine are Radar bindings (Vector + RTP) and I run them in middle holes (as Rossi suggests), something like 28 and 3/4". If you have Radars it is measured to the stitching line at the bottom of the boot. Not sure about other brands, but I know the method of measurement is slightly different.

on the 65", just finished watching some video from the weekend and i can see that on 32, i'm pulling to long, and when i dont pull for to long i keep the line tight and turn the offside much better(still wheeling most times). On 35 its always slack on 1, i'm LFF. Rarely manage more then 2 bouys. Would you suggest i adjust the fin or just focus on technique.

• Baller_

If you dont see issues showing up at 28/32 then its probably not ski set up. If you have slack at 1 ball, you are pulling to long to the ball and letting the handle out too quick.

Start your pull in towards that gate earlier and go slower towards the ball. Get off the pull and on your edge change sooner.