what a difference a prop makes

Razorskier1

• Baller
My 2005 MC 197TT was running an OJ 4-blade 13.7x15 ever since I bought it. Worked fine, but it would only get about 42-43mph on the top end, and when you went there, the steering column would vibrate. Switched to an Acme 13.5x15.5 3B with .105 cup. Wow! Like a totally different experience. The boat improved everywhere. Stronger holeshot, slightly less rudder load (but more consistent feeling), and 46+ mph on the top end with absolutely no vibration. Also runs about 150-200 RPMs lower at slalom speed, which both makes the boat modestly quieter, and saves me some fuel. Oh, and the wakes feel softer! I wouldn't have believed two props could feel this different on an inboard.

• Baller
This is one of the factors that is frustrating to me about boats we get in tournaments the past couple of seasons (no, I'm not quitting tournaments). I've had CC 200s that are too soft and others that are awesome, MC 197s that are way hard, MC 197s that are sweet, one Malibu that was like granite (usually soft though), and even a Centurion with a 6L that was pretty dang hard. How much of this is the prop? Engine? Weight distribution? Other factors? I have no idea, but I'm just feeling more and more variation between rides in tournaments these days. I'm not a ZO hater either. I'm fine with it. Just wish the pull from boat to boat was a little closer. I expect some difference, but not a big surprise each ride. Seems like each manufacturer (or at least promo owner) would make sure the pull behind their boat was optimized and that the prop would be the right/best one. Sounds like you found the right one.

• Baller
I have loved mine wiht both props, but this prop is definitely better, both from a driver perspective and a skier perspective. It seems to just drive easier. The boat actually feels like it gets more lift. I also agree with jimbrake on the CC200. The one we skied this weekend had a rock hard lump at 28 off. The one I skied last fall at SkiWatch was butter. Different props. It would also seem that the differences boat to boat on ZO could be partly due to RPMs. With the Nautique running well north of 4000 rpms, when ZO kicks you, it kicks you. My boat runs 3400 for 34mph, which is pretty close to what the current MC 197TT's run. The pick up factor on ZO is both softer and feels more linear.

• Baller
The problem (CC) is that the 422 isn't approved for tournament use. The choices are 4 blade 12.5 x 14.25 or 12.5 X 15 or 3 blade (don't ever see that) 13 x 14 MC get about 4 choices too. You just have to hope that the promo guy knows (and wants to use) what's best.

• Baller

Your hole shot and acceleration are affected by prop such that differing amounts of throttle may be required for a desired response. ZO is subject to applying throttle at perhaps different points in a power/torque curve based on which prop is being used...so I would think definite effect is possible.

Razor is running SG on his boat. I see how his comment above could be interpreted but I believe he was trying to say is that boats running lower rpm than the CC 200, which is well over 4000 rpm pick up softer on ZO and that such boats feel more linear.

Can't wait to ski his boat...it was the best driving/skiing/most dialed SG boat I have skied before the prop change.

• Baller
@Bdecker, I run Stargazer with a DBW boat and the MCX engine. As such, I had to recalibrate my speeds when I changed props. With 350hp the engine is plenty strong to be able to run a lower RPM and still give a strong, consistent pull. We ran this boat for a tournament at MS's place late one fall when we couldn't get a ZO boat and everyone thought it skied really, really well. Honestly, the only difference I notice between SG and ZO (where I run C2 setting) is that with ZO it requires slightly less energy to generate my desired cross course speed. Otherwise I ski both systems the same. My boat now has over 900 hours, and I think it will hit 2000 before I change it out. It skis that good.