Razor Versus Goode

jipster43

• Baller
What has been stated over the years is that the Fischer started out years back by patterning their ski off of the Goode 9200 with their own changes. Then Razor took that a step farther with additional changes when they continued on the Fischer ski. All skis are generally descendants of another.

• Baller
My Razor seems to do what the Goode skiers say their ski does. Very fast, nice sweet spot, incredible turns on both sides when properly set up. Ran a practice PB on it tonight w/2 at 39. Ran far more practice 35's, 11 out of 12 tourney 35's, matched tourney PB twice and more deep 38 than any season prior...and this all since August 1 once got it dialed (despite 3 weeks off w/ankle injury in Sept). It's a hot ski w/great inserts and RTM quality construction. Decent price point, too, by comparison to top end Goode and Sans Rival.

• Baller
I guess my question is what Goode skis are you comparing it to? The 9100-9700 series were basically variations on a theme. The 9800 was a much more stable feeling ski and the 9900 has been an improvement of the same feel. Which ski is the Razor comparable to? The turn and rip older skis or the smoother newer ones?

• Baller

Gotta get advice from others w/experience on both Razor and various Goode models. This is tough b/c very few are riding Razor at this point. I came from a long history of D3 (loved 'em), and have not been on Goode, and thus cannot make a direct comparison.

Those on Goode skis seem to be most pleased w/speed, sweet spot and turns.

The Razor turns quicker than my D3 RCX, and is far faster across course w/out penalizing me for my (many) mistakes like the Fischer I tried did...in fact the Razor saves my bacon frequently. I can't believe how easy (low pulling load) it is to be wide/early with this ski. With that, I cannot compare to any particular model Goode, just what they are generally known to do well.

The 38 I ran tonight I got totally busted at the waist out of 1 ball and still ran the pass. The D3 would not have been quick enough to get me to 2 ball.

I know this is just one guys experience...but it's the most impressive ski I have ridden in many ways...even though it means my older brother was right (again)! Now that I have it set up well, I can't wait for spring!

• Administrators
Each ski has strengths and weaknesses. If the first Fischer prototype was based on a early Goode it has clearly been evolved a lot since. Since the Goodes have changed so much.... What are we talking about

• Baller
Can't speak to the Goode. Don't understand the aversion to inserts! As for the Razor, which I have now skied for about 12 months, I will add this. The ski runs fast, carries off the second wake wide, and turns well on both sides of the wake without me having to force the action. Importantly, however, since I don't always ski with perfect technique (I hear MS laughing now), the ski also lets me force it when I need to. I can turn it hard in a pinch, get on it hard at the hook up, and be to the next buoy in good shape, making up for my mistakes with relative ease. Not unlike other newer skis, I think it performs best when I maintain a quiet upper body throughout the pass, but I can move around if I need to when things go south. If you are looking for a ski, I'd put it on the shopping list. I am using Razor's latest iteration of their shortline settings for both fin and binding placement on an A68 (I am 6 ft tall and shrinking, and weigh around 185).

The Razor appears to be a close replica to the Goode Traditional shape. The Reflex Hybrid appears to be a close replica to the Goode Mid Ride shape. I have not skied either ski. Just my observations from looking at them at the tent at Nationals in August. Not sure if the Reflex is RTM but appears to have a superior fit and finish and comes with inserts.

There are quite a number of variables besides shape to a ski design such as flex, rocker, and bevels.

• Administrators
splashing a ski does not mean that the new ski will be like the original. Too many factors. Maybe the shape is the same but .... I ski a lot of skis that "Look" the same and ride totally different.

• Baller
So in other words ski tests really mean nothing because a ski that looks the same will be totally different than what one demoed. Buying a ski is then a crap shoot unless you are made of $$$$ and can buy/try many? MS is right!!!

• Baller

Bazinga!!!! Sorry Horton! I am just in one of those moods. I must be having my monthly Pro-MS cycle as I am highly argumentative and have no idea what I am talking about.

By the way, No one does a more professional objective unbiased review of slalom skis than you do!!!!! To quote someone I know, "Horton rocks!"

• Baller
question on the ski to ski thing. JD tells me that every one of the Razors he flexed came out the same. I have heard that some manufacturers skis come out different from one ski to the next. John, are you talking about from one brand or model to another, or within the same brand, same model. Oh, and I agree with Hager!

• Administrators

@Razorskier1 I am saying that you can not tell much about a ski without skiing on it.

At Connelly the F1 and the first Prophecy were almost identical except for materials (plus some flex & rocker) but skied totally different. As far as I know, they came from the same mold. I liked the original Prophecy a lot and am not a fan of the same year F1.

The Radar RS-1 was "almost" the exact same shape as the MPD .... but they did not ski alike. (flex, rocker and bevels were tweaked I think).

Saying that the Razor came from a Goode may be technically true but it does not really say the skis are that much alike. Change any part of the construction of a ski and it will feel different on the water. Even the grade of carbon or the core material or the % of the ski that is resin.....

As for skis being different within a brand and model, that is true but not as much as in the past. I think QC is pretty good across the industry these days. I have also heard that the Razors are VERY consistent in terms of flex

Been riding a Goode for years, first one was the 9200. And almost every Goode up to my 9900, Got my Razor from Lou at Miami Ski in August, found that the Razor is fast, forgiving; turns when it needs to turn, if you stuff the tip, it keeps going. Not to mention not affected in wind with a chop or 58 deg water, over all I’m much smoother on the Razor than the Goode and The cost was much better. The quality is first class! The inserts worked great with my RCM adapter plate used to mount my Fogman bindings. Found that I needed to take depth out of the fin and run the wing at 7.5 deg.

• Baller
Saw Austin Able on the Razor at Katy this weekend. I had seen the article about the "tall" slalomer in Waterski but had never seen him ski. The ski looked good, but I was really surprised at how good his form looked. Very clean for someone that tall. It will be interesting to see how he does over the next couple of years.

• Baller
I was on a Fisher Orange and moved to the Razor last fall. My impression was the Razor feels faster and has a bigger sweet spot than my Fisher. I know a couple of folks coming off of other skis who have been working on getting the Razor tuned the way they want it. As a prior Fisher skier, I found that I had very little to do (I run Razor's revised shortline settings for fin and binding placement) to make the ski work perfectly for me. I love the ski, and highly recommend it.

Couldn't agree more w/ Horton.

In order to properly judge a ski, or even talk about it intelligently, it must be ridden first.

Don't knock it til you try it.

No matter what, it puts a smile on my face, and that's what keeps me coming back to it. It's addictive. It feeds the same passion that got me into skiing in the first place.

• Baller

The Goode's clearly perform well or you would not see so many great skiers on them. Personally I would be nervous to pony up given reports of breakage, no inserts, and it sounds like at times customer service could have been better.

With that, I'm pleased I saved a few bucks and got a RTM ski that really performs. It seems a few more skiers are popping up on the Razor...a competitive market to enter and will take time, experience, word of mouth and skier experimentation to gain traction.