What do you call "worse than a slump" ?

RichardDoane

• Baller
Same as chuck just said. Retrace your steps. Do what makes you ski well. I feel the same as RD's ski buddy. I was skiing great 2 day ago and today ended up in the E.R. Go back and think about what made you ski well.

• Baller
I ski nothing but openers for a few sets...get stupid wide/early, build confidence, have fun not finding myself in the water again and again mid course. Then work my way back down short-line. Seems to clear my head and get me out of a cycle of frustration every time I ski...cuz that ain't fun and I ski to have fun.

Adjust for cooler water temps. Think warm and fuzzy thoughts. Watch football. Drink more beer and single malt. Be nice to your wife/girlfriend, (it's gonna be a long winter). Take up jumping, abuse MS and Horton all winter, Did I mention the beer and single malt thing?

• Baller_
Time off and what LeonL said. A typical slump, especially where you are having trouble running an opener, is usually about a narrow gate, starting too hard on your turn in, releasing the handle too soon, pulling too long or skiing right at one ball, or a combination thereof. I'd think about a minimum of a week off, maybe two, then video yourself when you get back on the water feeling relaxed, fresh and eager. Your slump will probably be gone.

Lpskier

• Baller
I would take some time off as well 1 week if he only gets to ski once or twice a week and 2 weeks if he skis more. Take his ski and check his settings if they are off change them back, if they are not tell him you made a change and give him the placebo effect and see if that works. Majority of the time it is in your head. If he is still skiing in his slump I would make a fin change. Oh and coaching from a pro never hurts.

• Baller
I certainly do not ski at the level that most people on this board do but at my own level it's still just as hard for me to make a pass (that's why this sport is so addictive). Something that has helped me is to record passes and analyze what is going on versus what I feel and think is going on. I look at the "good" passes but really critique the "bad" passes. Unfortunately for me I have a whole lot more passes to critique than those to just look at. I also try to do it directly after a set while it's fresh. Hopefully if they are all bad I can find a common error. As others have said I try to figure out what was the first thing that I did wrong versus what I was doing wrong when the pass ended and make sure I try to fix just the first thing. Sometimes you just have to get back to where the fun is again rather than keep banging into the frustration door also. It's a challenge but it is still meant to be rewarding and fun.