Moving, Need suggestions

jedgell

• Baller

My wife is finally graduating from Pharmacy school this spring and has job offers in either Portland or Seattle. We're looking more at Portland, I see that Warman Lake is close by. Are there any other sites close to the city? Is the Warman club easy to join? The other option is Texas, either Austin or Houston. We lived in Houston for 5 years, so I'm familiar with the area. I've been looking at San Marcos River Ranch and Aquaplex, anyone here live at either site? Thanks for the help, we'll be deciding in the next couple weeks where we're going.

Is it wrong that I'm more worried about finding a good place to ski rather than getting myself a job?

• Members
Jed, come to Austin Texas, San Marcos River Ranch, it is beautiful, warm ski year round, pharmacutical and bio med biz is thriving. I am building my dock at SMMR now and will be starting our home in the spring. email me thate dot david at gmail I can show you more, I do design / build and real estate.

• Baller

I don't see how you can lose with any of those choices - unless you snow ski. Then you would have to go with Seattle or Portland. You can waterski year round in either area, but it is dark and grey during the winter months. The waterski folks I've met from Washington/Oregon have all been incredibly stellar humans.

The drought in Texas scares me. I'm glad to hear SMRR has plenty of water. What about Aquaplex? How are they doing in that department?

Good luck Justin! We'll see you when you inevitably move back to the last best place!

• Baller

Plus, if you like Motorsports, Austin is building a multi million dollar, state of the art Racetrack, that will be hosting the only US Formula One Race, plus other events.

Also, the people in Texas are some of the best I've ever known. They have an unlimited amount of Quality Tournaments on private ski sites. I would move back there in a heartbeat if I could talk the Wife into it.

Portland, if you don't mind 6 week summers.. I've been here 35 years, and the weather is getting worse! If you do want to come to portland, my house is for sale 10 min from PDX, and I do ski @ Warman, Awesome Lake! 20 min drive from my house.. send me an e-mail. fostersworkout@frontier.com

• Baller
Thanks for all the help guys. Glad to see there are a couple sites around Portland. The weather in Portland is the biggest concern, but we've been in MT for 5 years, cant be any worse. We wont know all our options for a couple weeks, but at least i'll be able to ski wherever we end up.

• Baller
The Austin/San Antonio area has more private tournament sites within a 4 hour drive than you can count on two hands. Seriously, there is a tournament within 3-4 hours of there every single weekend from mid may through october in Texas. You can find lots for sale on Lakes at Katy, Lago, and Ski Texas in the Houston area too. Or could always ski with us at SSR in Conroe if you moved to the north side of Houston.

• Baller

Or.............. you could buy a 3200 sq ft house at Ski Haven in Dallas/ft Worth. 2 lake site 12 total lots with two community boats (ski nautiques) for less than 300,000

And............. we have water in the lakes.

• Baller
If you are interested in moving to the Austin area call me and I'll give you some feedback. For better or worse I have all the options covered. I live on Lake Austin, own a lot (no house) at Aquaplex and due to the drought currently ski at San Marcos Ski Ranch.........my number is 512-263-5165. Ted Thomson.

• Baller
So, we found out that my wife can get a job in either Salem, Eugene, or possibly Vancouver, WA. At this point im just concerned with where I'll be able to ski. Are there any sites around Salem or Eugene? I'm pushing for Vancouver

• Baller
Sabrina Lake is smack dab in between Salem and Eugene - about 30 miles from both, but there's not much more in the area in terms of tournament skiing. Vancouver is a very short drive from downtown Portland and has quite a few tournament lakes to choose from and is much closer to all the other tournament lakes in Washington. I think I would lean towards Vancouver - but all three of those cities are pretty choice. I don't think you can lose... outside of having to move from Montucky!

My home is for sale! I ski at Warman Lake, we are only 20 minutes away in Fairview, Oregon (right across from Vancouver & Camas, WA, across the Columbia River)

Here is our listing w/ Remax:

http://equitygroupgreshamoffice.oregon.remax.com/PropertySearch/ListingDetail.aspx?lid=91725079

For More Information: Listing Agent

Rosalie Tuttle

Associate

Phone: (503) 495-3159

RE/MAX EQUITY GROUP-GRESHAM OFFICE

RMLS Listing No. 11659954

• Baller

Warman is an amazing site, great facitility and fun people. They have a website, www.warmanlake.com. They have live web cams, current water and air temp too. Oh, and they have a hot tub.

The wife and I drive up there once or twice a year for their tournaments. As far as tournaments, there are several lakes in the Vancouver area that host tournaments. And you can drive down the freeway to Southern Oregon at our lake, 4 hours away, but warmer. Or Sabrina Lake, 2 hours south.

• Baller

I am pretty sure Sabrina is a membership lake, but I can't say for certain. I know someone who used to ski there regularly, but I'm not sure if he was a member or had a friend that was. I'll look into it next time I see him - if someone doesn't chime in on here first.