What did you learn in 2011 that you want to remember in 2012?

Horton

• Administrators

The last few days it has been grey and foggy here in Bako so I am thinking about what I picked up this year that I need to remember next year…. I am going to have to sit down and write a book for what I learned on 2011....

What did you guys learn?

Be patient. Wait for the boat.

When I feel I'm rushing it, I tell myself to ski the handle.

Finish the run. Sometimes while rounding 5 ball I'll tell myself, "You got this one", as I see 6 ball go past on the wrong side of my ski.

Always make the rookie bring gas.

If the land police try to talk to you, keep going back to the dock.

• Baller_
Not doing tournaments this season caused a great deal of slacking off when it came to practicing. Riding a bunch of test skies will teach you nothing about appropriate technique but will school you on ski design differences.

• Gold Member

MUCH learned in 2011. Already posted here:

http://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/3704

Meanwhile, 2012 ski season begins today. My month of lazing around ("recovery") is done, and I'm off to the gym tonight. Of course, this will be a liiiiight day -- even as a youngster I ramped up slowly and as an oldster it's key.

Look out little orange buoys! I'll be coming for you! :)

• Baller

Great topic for me as I am generally off the water from mid-October to March or April and need to carry forward key thoughts from one season to the next. I learned (or relearned):

1) have to move my COM over my feet as I'm sliding into the gate for best accel and angle

2) KEEP THE LOAD ON THE LINE through the edge change and through the release of the handle and extension

3) long-range, down course vision (keeps my shoulders level, my tip down, and allows me to carry best speed through the turn and back to the handle)

There is more, but those are the primary ones.

• Gold Member

"more thought, not more effort" -- boy I hope you're right because I am a lot better at thinking than working hard :)

Seriously though, I get what you're saying. -38 definitely introduces a lot more constraints. I guess I'd still call that "harder" but not in the sense that most people would assume.

The way I'd say the same thing is: Managing "the geometry" properly is much more important than upping the effort level. Gotta do the right thing at the right time. Working harder, but at the wrong time, will kill you.

• Baller
Totally agree -- managing geometry properly becomes key. More energy in the wrong places absolutley kills you. I think a number of us agree that when you run the pass right it seems oddly simple. However, when you "work harder" the pass becomes impossible. If I could just put those easy passes in a bottle and drink a little before every set I'd be golden!

• Baller

Once warmed up next year going to start my practice opener at 32 off and run tourney set. Second set start at 28 to keep it in the tool box for wind planning at tourneys and shorten to where I will train for the day.

Lots of other technical stuff, too...would get tired typing all of it.