Newb Question....Duecer

xrated

• Baller

I started skiing just over 10 years ago. I have always been LFF since I started dropping and I can't for the life of me recall how I came to that conclusion. All I know is the guy who taught me said if I rode a skateboard with the LFF then I skied that way. Never had complaints with it for me .

However my wife started skiing last year a few times and being a good(smart) husband I shut my yap and let her and the few guys we went with give her advice. Well I know that with the the fact that she only went 3 times she isn't going to recall which foot she had forward the few times she dropped and was successful.

So how do I help her figure out which foot forward? And then how the heck to I figure out what grip she should be using? She is never going to be more then a 28mph open water skier, I just want to get her set and going so she can have the most enjoyment and I can be the least jerk husband possible in getting her going.

• Baller_
Have her ride 2 skis, lift one and ride for a bit. Then switch. Which ever ski is easier to ride on is the foot that is forward and the foot that's lifted is the foot that goes in back when she tries one ski. Right foot forward RFF is right palm down and LFF is left palm down.

• Baller

How about standing on one foot and seeing which one you balance best on and put that one forward.

Also would be interesting to see how many skiers are right handed and right foot forward or left handed and left foot forward.

I know I am Right handed, kick with my right foot, balance best on my right foot, and ski RFF.

• Supporting Member

There's a lot of ways to make a decent guess, but I think Wish's method is most reliable.

Growing up, there were 4 kids: me, my brother, and two cousins. In these 4 people we had all 4 of the possible combinations of handedness and foot forward!

Also keep in mind that it doesn't matter THAT much.

Props on being a good spouse in general by not giving her tips. I've never been married, but I've watched and listened closely to a few growing up. Neither party wants the other one telling them what to do and at the end of the day the advice you give never really matters.

I agree with the above comments regarding the push in the back to ascertain which foot forward.

The problem I find in chatting to most weekend warriors, is that they refer to left foot forward as "natural" and right foot forward as "goofy". The same as in surfing.

This is the wrong way to look at deciding which foot forward as there is no correlation; ie, you stand sideways on a surfboard/skateboard/wakeboard/snowboard etc, and you stand straight with shoulders toward the boat on a slalom ski.

I'm right footed/handed in everything I do, I surf left foot forward (natural) and yet I slalom right foot forward.

Go with the push in the back method, and if someone starts talking about being natural or goofy footed, walk away, they're stupid.