Riding a motorcycle with ski.

Taelan28

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=746584

I asked this question in another forum. I think riding with a ski low around my legs is a risk in case I need to reach out to prevent from tipping over. I dont have enough space to lay it length wise across the back. Width wise makes me as wide as a car and susceptible to mistakes. I think the best way to carry it is strapping (I mean welding it) it on my back. Any suggestions?

• Baller

I'd do just like was posted with the boards. Shouldn't have an issue with being able to dap your foot, looks to me like those racks stick out enough. Or it should sit close enough that you can put your leg over it, a ski is pretty skinny on edge. If you are worried about heat put it on the left side, though that might complicate shifting.

Looking on google I don't see why you couldn't mount up a rack on the left side. Looks like it has somewhat forward controls so you should be able to get the ski high enough to be out of the way and the left side will keep you away from the exhaust.

Let us know what you come up with, if I ever get to skiing down here where I live instead of just up at the lake place I'd love to be able to haul my ski on the bike!

• Baller
I vaguely remember a WSM picture of a couple pro skiers on Harleys and they had skis mounted somehow by the back and sticking out the rear upward and back. Guessing it was Sammy and Luckey, or maybe Roberge? There should be someone who has that edition and can share the pic.

• Baller
I use a backpack designed for back country skiing where you can strap your skis to it. I strap in the ski going mostly vertical with the fin up in the air. I then strap a towel or something to the seat behind me wherethe ski might make contact with the bike. The ski rides at an angle on your back and your body blocks the wind for the most part so it doesn't really pull you around. I've gone up to 90 on the highway with a ski like this with no problems. You do get a lot of funny looks though!

• Baller
My ski partner does it all summer riding 60 miles to ski w/me on his aftermarket-supercharged Harley. It's a full bagger though. He simply uses some bungee cords and it looks a lot like the waterski mag picture referenced above. Less structure to attach to on Taelan's bike.

Last summer I pulled up next to a husband and wife with Harley's and they both had their skis bungee corded to the back and they were sticking out perpendicular to the bike. I pulled over and talked to them and they said its no problem unless you forget about the ski when parking the bike. They were on their way to an INT tourny.

• Members

This is how i do it on my Road King. I just remove one saddle bag & bungee it to all the other gear. Then use the frame for the saddle bag, & the passenger floor board to bungee down the ski which is well padded in the ski bag. Monre, NY to Meredith, NH and back without a hitch.

http://static.cl1.vanilladev.com/ballofspray.vanillaforums.com/uploads/FileUpload/53/f6661aceb34a5e4921c8afa6b73210.jpg