Bindings

Stevie Boy

• Baller

Ok so we all like particular bindings for one reason or another, just one thing niggling me though, I used to be quite happy with the old KD binding, nice fit always knew that the fit and feel was going to be the same every time you put it on, no laces to come loose or perhaps you didn't tighten it as much as last time when you had a great set or perhaps the plastic gizmo that grips the lace is worn or backs off a bit while skiing, looking at CP and the likes of Jeff Rodgers who ski with wiley,s which used to be the leading binding around many years back, why did we move away from these type of bindings, are the new bindings any better ?

I am really thinking of moving to wiley bindings, the pro,s for me are, foot arrives in the same place with the same feel every time, no laces or gizmos to give out and ruin your day, no variables, as for the Con,s, in between sizes awkward, Small to tight, Medium the front of the foot has movement ( may have to play around with binding size and different thickness foot pad to get the feel I want ( i:e medium binding with jump foot bed) is the lateral support as good as other bindings.

Any thoughts,currently ski with D3 Leverage and RTP.

• Gold Member

VERY pleased with T-factors. I wrote up a whole thread about my experiences after Nationals with them.

http://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/3579/t-factor-first-impression-and-question/p1

I came from KD and then D3 Leverage. I will say that there is some transition to T-factors, but at least for me in the long run they just do everything better than the Leverage.

If you don't want to mess with the tightener thingies, it's possible to just remove them (and set the string length to something you like by tying/cutting it off). I actually did that with the lower portion, but for the upper portion I really like the increased convenience of getting my feet in with them nice and loose.

Finally, I don't think I'd quite agree that the "old" boots always had the same fit, although it is true that between any two consecutive sets they would be extremely similar. But like anything made out of rubber, they stretch and reshape over time, and at some point you have to either replace them or open up the boot and tighten some things. And then that's a sudden jump in feel, which always scared me a little (sometimes resulting in me staying on too-loose boots for a long time).

The external tighteners have some disadvantages for sure, but I don't feel that consistency of feel is any issue with my T-factors.

• Administrators

Strada = comfort and safety

9 out of 10 skiers love them.

All you have to do is not tighten the laces too much.

1/2 hole forward/back adjust of the single plate rocks.

If the Elite Bindings ever come out I would really like to give them a try.

Last time I tried, the Wiley plate does not always get to stock settings. The holes in the plate do not match modern skis (forward/backward).

• Baller
@Horton I agree on the Strada. I really like the comfort and the safety(the reason I switched from my Animals-OTF and bad ankle sprain). I am still getting used to mine, but was getting close to my PB before the season ended.

• Baller
I know I'm in the minority here, but I love my Goode hard-shell setup. Wore out my old set and bought the new version with the steel buckles. I have not had any pre-release problems like others, but I do double check the velcro connection and replace velcro from time to time. Over all the least expensive bindings for me because it is usually a cheap fix to repair and they have been overall durable. Been using them since 2005 (still using original g-10 plate).

• Baller
Strada = comfort and safety. 9 out of 10 skiers love them.

Guesss I'm the one out of ten. I actually like the bindings, just can't seem to make them work for me. Put them on my ski beginning of last season, skiing went to crap and struggled with them for most of the season. Went back to my Leverages and immediately got rid of my problems. I'm done experimenting, this was a too expensive way to find out that shell-type bindings are not for me. Anyone interested in a lightly used (liners never heat moulded) set of Strada bindings, size 13 - 14?

Ed

@ Ed Obermeier I had the same problem when I went from the 2010 Strada on the sequence plate to the 2011's one the single plates. I couldnt run anything and it felt all wierd. Luckily I had the old setup sitting on an ski so I measured everything out and realized I was off a significant bit. Readjusted and got back to where I was...

• Baller
I couldn't make the strada's work. Thought I couldn't make the Razor work til I dropped the strada's. If loose enough for "safety", they were too loose for me and did not allow me to get on the front of the ski no give a dime of ankle support...like wearing a low top shoe to play basketball. I was all over the tail in them. Put the leverage bindings on the Razor and had the best 2 months of skiing in my life. Can't wait to start the season on that set up.

• Baller

I couldn't make the strada's work either. Loved the RS1's but not the stradas. I think the liners were too thin.

Been on Goode Powershell 5s for the last year. Skied really well in the them, but that damn velcro still makes me nervous.

Tried a Reflex and just couldn't make it work. It's for sale. 5 sets. Large(10-12) left. $325

Might try a Fluid Motion. If I could get the feel of the PS5 without the velcro I'd be happy.

• Baller
Went from KD to Animal HO to Fluid Motion E-series. Very easy transition from the Animals to the FM's. They are very comfortable and very safe in my opinion. I believe the release mechanism on the new O'brien's are very (very) similar.

• Baller
I went from animals to strada. Was back to normal in a week, I love those things. However I don't take it easy when I tighten them up. They go almost as tight as I can get. I will probly regret that if I ever fall hard enough to need a release, but in the mean while I feel really connected to my ski.

• Baller
Here's a Challenge for the guy,s & Gals @ D3, what about producing wraps without lacing for the Leverage binding giving your customers a choice, when buying a leverage binding, they could also buy a wrap with no lacing, if they so desired, never know it might turn a few extra dollars.

• Baller

started in willy's went to Ho anaimals, tried rs-1 could not ski in two hard shells I like a real lose back foot, went to reflex front Ho back 4 yrs ago had to cut the upper cuff down and make a few other boot mods like cp, willy and maple do. Remi help me with this over the phone, I work for head wintersport and do lots of Alpine boot mods for atheletes ramp angle canting lowering cuff ect. I not afriad to cut some plastic plus I have all the tools,

out of the box they are unskiable for me once modified they are the bomb get the boots tight same every time, set the release where you want. more pros use Reflex then any other boot system just to name a few Jody F, marcus B, will A,Chris P,Seth S,Andy M, wilson Bros and most of the HO team and the designers.

off to the slopes

ski ya later

Deano

• Baller
I started skiing 4 years ago on my dads onld 1985 Jobe 1600 with a rubber Jobe binding and RTP. Got off that entire set up and on a RadaR ANNEX w/ RS-1 Bindings. On that for one season and beggining of last season got an RS-1 ski with RS-1 bindings. For last Christmas (as in like 2 weeks ago) got new strada bindings. The great thing about new bindings are the safety aspect. They all realease now. Even Wiley, when correctly fitted, will release if you fall hard enough. I know one person (who finds a way to hurt himself on a consistant basis anyway) who has been hurt on Wileys and that is because his parents thought they fit him fine. He got on GOODE Powershell 5's and his words exactly as a diehard GOODE fan "these things are freaking death traps!". Pretty much all the pros are on Reflex right now which seem to release pretty good if you dont tighten them too much. However all RadaR (relesable) are all like that. If you dont tighten them as much as you can they will realese perfectly. 3 years on RadaR and not 1 questionable relase. Everytime I wanted them to release they do and when I havnt had them do a pre mature realease.

• Baller
@OB I do agree that we need to know our limitations. I get into 32 off so im not gonna go off and try to run 38 because im bored. Also I agree that there is no binding that is fool proof. If you hit a buoy and go airborne NO binding will be able to take that and release unless you are EXTREMLY lucky. However I have seen alot of people not release on Powershells and I have seen people stop in the middle of a pass because they would "hear something click on the binding". Idk if there is any threat to "hearing a click on the bindings"

• Administrators
@ ShaneH 2012 Strada liners are more like the old RS-1. I agree that the first Strada liners did not fit as good as the original RS-1. The new ones are way better.

• Administrators

Stevie

Strada boot comes with the plate and yes it will go on the A2. And yes it will be fine with an RTP. As always I have to restate.... do not crank down the top lace of the Radar bindings. You do not ski better that way and they are less safe.