Boat Comparison- Advice needed

crashman

I'm looking at used boats to pull me down the course on a private lake and these are the ones I'm considering thus far

1999 Prostar

1999 Supra Comp

1997 Response

I'm currently skiing at longer lengths but hope to improve; My closest ski partner skis 28 off and hoping for 32 off- so performance at -35 and shorter isn't important at this point in my life

Presume similar condition and price.

So the basic question is this: I know the 1998-2000 prostar is not a favorite hull, but would you put it behind the comp and the response? I know the real answer is to wait until spring and ski behind each of them, but I appreciate your thoughts.

• Baller
I am an MC guy but don't buy that boat....not a great hull...The response LX will be cheap and have a decent wake. My buddy has a 99 and it's pretty good, ski's nice and handles well. I think a 196 Nautique is a great option and are relatively inexpensive, at least around here, beacuase of the closed bow. I would stay away from the supra but I have never skied one......

• Baller

The Response of that vintage is a nice boat but not a SN 196 wake. Particularly for crashman and his buddies line lengths...they are going to spend a lot of time at 22 off. One of my partner's opener is 22 and he says the 196 is far better than the 'Bu at that length. 28 off to 38 off I'm happy behind either.

The CC also tracks better and the driving position is better...not sitting so far down in the bathtub. I primarily ski a '97 196, a '00 196 and a '02 Response LX.

• Baller

@Wish yes, idle flare on the '97. Love my boat but that part still aggravates me to this day. When you start the boat the engine will run up to ~1500-1800 rpm (or something like that) and then settle in to idle. It takes about 10+ seconds. Which is forever when you need to get it in gear. From what I remember you could have it "fixed" but the reprogramming fee was outragous $ when I check into it in '98 or '99.

And for what it's worth, when they changed over to the white dash, at times there was a lot of glare (reflection) off the inside glass that disturbed your view out the windshiled. Well compared to the black.

• Baller

I have a 01 Ski Nautique I need to sell, so I can order a promo boat. It is loaded (Heater/Shower, Towing Cover, Bimini, GT-40) and skis great at all line lengths. Has Star Gazer already installed. It looks really good, I can send pictures if interested. I'm asking $16,500 obo with ZO emulator added on when available. Willing to talk about all options.

Kevin

• Baller

I agree with Hugh if you want to save a few bucks go with a 94 prostar, that was the first year of fuel injection. That being said, I used to own a 93 prostar 205 that was carbed that was probably my favourite boat I have ever owned.

Go 98 or newer on a response LX and the SN is a really good bet.

• Baller

Krlee's boat is a sweet boat! It is in great shape and skis really nicely - especially for slalom but with a bit of weight it is an excellent trick boat too. Way better than the new Nautiques for tricks and wakeboards. I bummed as many sets as possible behind his boat to avoid Stan's old Moomba. The only problem with his boat is that the gelcoat may be worn out from being wiped down and polished so much.

Old Malibus are hard to beat.

But a couple of members at my lake had 94 Mastercrafts. I loved my rides behind them, trick and slalom. One of the best all around hulls ever.

Eric

@ OB I'm in Muncie IN- we ski at the Muncie Waterbowl about 45 miles NE of Indy; it's a bring your own boat club. What club did you ski at?

Krlee- let me think about it- I made fun of my neighbor for buying a Supra Launch site unseen from California- of course we took it to the lake and it didn't start; I'm not sure he'd ever let me live it down if I did the same thing so I suppose I'd have to fly other there and take a few sets behind your boat before I would buy it.

• Baller
Look on the west coast. Most dealerships went out of buisness or are barley surving. Obviously due to lack of boat sales. What you will find is New-old inventory. You might find an 08 or 09 196 or Lxi for price of a 5-6 year old one. The argument I used when I bought a boat like that "Yes, to you it is new, but to me the second I put it in the water, it is a 4 year old boat." Right there will get $8,000 off the price.

• Baller
I have a 2002 response which I think is on the same hull as the 98-99 and I don't have any issues with the wake at 15 or 22. It isn't as good as a new Nautique but you can certainly run the course behind it. I would think you could find a 99 or so Response in the price range you are looking for. I am one of the people that likes the open bow for when I have the family on the water which would rule the Nautiques out for me.

so it's probably time for me to admit that I'm going to keep my V-drive boat as my open water/family boat/laker. I looked at selling it/trading it but for the price I can get it's just not worth it to me- especially since in order to get a family boat that is a ski boat I need it to seat 10 or more since we commonly boat as a 10 pack with my brother's family- rules out an LXI as my only boat; Trading it in on a new outback was going to cost me 15k- so I thought heck for 15k I can get a really good closed bow ski boat that does exactly what I want on the ski course- our course is tight so a small boat is ideal, and it's a private lake so I won't have to register it, plus I can keep my "laker" that does what I want for longer trips and family gatherings. My wife actually is in favor of this "2 boat system" so everybody wins. His boat/Hers boat.

Don't shoot me- storage space is cheap in Indiana.

And thanks for all your thoughts.

• Baller

Crashman, Come on out and we can do some skiing. As the others that know me on here can vouch, I would stand behind what I sold. Plus it has taken me years to convince my wife we should get a new boat. She really likes skiing behind this one and how it drives.

Keep me posted,

Kevin

• Baller

There's a 1994 Mastercraft Pro Tour on Ski-It-Again for $10,500. 690 hours on the corvette LT-1 engine and powerslot gear reduction. Perfect Pass cruise control. I can't imagine a better deal out there. I love the 1997 & newer 196's, but I own a '93 Mastercraft & the long line wake is as good as it gets. I'm tempted to sell my boat to slide into this one!

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?topic=Search&category=Comp_Boat&postid=13819

• Baller

Crashman,

Buy Kevins SN, you will not be disappointed. I have skied with him when he lived up here in the Seattle area and can vouch for the condition of his boat and how it skis. Heck, I bought his house when he moved to CA site on scene and could not have been more satisfied with the condition of the house. My two cents, OF

• Baller
Uship.com......is your friend....try it, you will be amazed at how cheap you can ship a boat...

Last year I got a quote from Uship of $595 from Washington to Alabama (thats a LONG haul). The longer lead time you give the better chance of getting a good deal because they can get you on a back haul.

• Baller

Last year I sold my boat to a guy in Australia. It needed to be shipped from Houston to Long Beach. He decided to use Uship.com. He made all of the choices and decisions. My boat made it to Long Beach and ultimately to Ausie without a hitch, but He tried to use the same guy to ship a couple of other boats to Long Beach. He prepaid the guy and never heard from him again.

Do your homework on Uship.

• Baller
@ crashman I am also from Indiana and was in the same shoes as you last winter. 97 sn was my choice and could not be more satisfied. Brandon with central Kentucky inboards should be someone you get in touch with he sold my old boat to Australia without a hitch. Would always recommend his services. @ OB who is your friend as I am a member of Ski Klub of Indy

FWIW and IMO- '98 MC... aka "Death Star" had VERY hard wakes at -15, -22; '99 same hull with 'sponsons(?)'- still pretty "crisp" at -22. '97 Malibu was better. No experience w/ Supra, but skied a couple Centurions, the hull looks... similar... '97 SN was/is a game changer for slalom wakes. Same hull thru 2000 I think. They got even better from there for slalom wakes. '92-'94 MC hulls were excellent at -15 and -22, drove like sports cars. Side spray at -32 and shorter, especially with any headwind.

• Baller

Crashman,

I don't know anything about the boat or seller, but saw this in Knoxville TN. http://knoxville.craigslist.org/boa/2782102031.html It has the carbed motor and not EFI, but a great looking boat from the pictures and low hours. Great hull. I regularly ski behind a 94 (same hull). I have never seen an older MC with those colors. Looks sharp. Well below your budget.

I definitely don't want to own a boat nicknamed the "death star" so I'm thankful for this forum for leading me into a better decision. A West Coast ski trip is sounding king of awesome right now- but actually I have a shot at getting a '99 196 from somebody I know if I can only convince him he needs a SN200

• Baller

@OB skied with Tom and his daughter a couple of times last year very nice family glad he joined the club. That sunsetter looks big on the trailer never seen the wakes but I remember him enjoying skiing behind a 196.

@crashman, the 99 SN was my favorite make sure it has a gt 40 great motor with tons of power.