Site in northern Ontario?

Than_Bogan

• Supporting Member

Does anyone know of any slalom facilities anywhere near to:

Little Vermilion Lake, Sioux Lookout, ON, Canada

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&authuser=0&q=Little+Vermilion+Lake,+Sioux+Lookout,+ON,+Canada&aq=2&oq=little+vermil&vps=2&sll=41.295833,-74.64946&sspn=0.011946,0.00839

My family is considering a summer fishing trip, but I wouldn't want to go TOO long without getting in any slalom sets.

Thanks for any info!

• Supporting Member

Holy #$@! I knew Sioux Lookout (which my dad swears is pronounced Sue L'koot) was in the middle of no where, but 26 hours in the same province is pretty impressive!

This was a place my dad and his father used to vacation at 60 years ago, but my dad's father died before I was born, and in subsequent generations I was the only one with any real interest in fishing. Then out of nowhere my brother caught the fishing bug at the age of 36, and has become interested in reconnecting with this piece of "ancient" family history.

But it's so far north that you really only want to go there in mid-summer, and obviously that's also the heart of the ski season. I put a tentative "no" down, but figured I should at least ask around to see if there is somewhere practical to get in a few sets.

• Baller
Maybe this is one of those "out of the box" thoughts....Take along a portable slalom course and your ski! Of course that may mean fishing out of a SN or MC but that's better than sking behind a 16' fishing boat with a 25hp outboard! :) Sure looks like there are plenty of 'long skinny' lakes to pick from!!

• Supporting Member

That's one big province! From my parent's place in PA, it's "only" about 27 hours drive to Little Vermilion.

I now realize it's way closer to MN than to a lot of Canadians. Any insight from the MN crew?

Btw, I would of course be flying there -- it's well over 30 hours of drive time from eastern MA. So bringing my own boat and course are not too likely :).

• Baller_
I have fished on Lac Seul. Notice the lack of towns up there. Here is my advice. Bring lots of bug dope. Load up on bait and enjoy the fishing. You will need to get to Winnipeg or head way east to find any slalom course. It is nothing but trees and rock up there and you will take out the prop and shaft on most lakes. Aint gonna happen.