Nautique

AndersonSkiTeam

• Baller
I thought I remember this subject getting beaten to death earlier but a quick search didn't turn up anything. So...I am thinking of getting a Nautique 200 OB. I currently have a 2001 response lx with an open bow. I like this boat but it is not a walk through bow and it seems cramped. I often spend a few hours on the lake with my wife, 4 kids, and all the gear including wake board gear, combos, 3-4 slalom skis ext. My Malibu has the trunk which is nice. If I go with the the Nautique 200 will it feel like more room or am I getting the same thing or is their more room. Lastly, we have kids learning to slalom, a son working on 15 off, myself who skis at 28 off, and kids wake boarding. How are the wakes on the 200 for the longer lines for slalom as compared to the Txi. For boarding I have the wedge on the response and I know you can alter the wake on the Nautique but will it come close to the same size for the little boarders in my family. We mainly ski but I know the kids in a couple of years are going to want to start boarding more but I refuse to buy a Vdrive. Just so the the Malibu guys know I am contemplating the Txi as well but I know something about Malibus. My knowledge of Nautiques is limited as where I live there is only one and the closest dealer is a 6 hour drive away. Thanks for the help.

• Baller

The wakes are great on the 200 at all line lengths and speeds. As far as the wakes for wake boarding, I don't do much of that, but I do trick ski behind them. The wake has a nice steep wake for great air tricks. It is never going to be a large wake for huge tricks, but it is nice. The gate on Nautiques is more for smoothing out table of the wake at slower speed than making it larger like the wedge on a Malibu.

Kevin

• Baller

Open bow makes it far easier to wipe down the front of the boat when it's up on the lift from inside the boat. A few extra little people can fit up there as well.

As for closed bow and storage...sure you can put stuff up there, but hopefully stuff you are not going to use very often if you have people in the boat. It's a pain making people stand up from the seat, move far enough that you can raise it, get on your knees trying to figure out where the thing you need is and pulling it out. Then try to make your way to the back of the boat with it after the people standing behind you move again.

I think the only convenient storage for stuff you intend to use w/people in the boat are trunks, side saddle compartments or (gasp) board racks. Given it's onerous to use under bow storage and I get a few more seats plus easier resale...I'll take the open bow. Disclosure: I own two closed bows :)

• Baller

I use my Nautique on the lake and I think it's really good there. I sit in the open bow while we ride 20 some miles to the slalom course. The "saddle bag" compartments swallow up a lot of gear. More than you have in the rear compartment now. It feels very roomy. It also handles lake chop pretty well with the gate up. Most of it's time is on our private lake where it performs flawlessly.

The wakes at slower speeds are very, very nice for kids. The boat is very impressive. Tracks beautiful. The trough at 38 and beyond is very shallow which is a huge advantage.

I'll give you the downsides as I have observed. Turns much more rpm than your used to. Will use more fuel. The wakeboard wake is pretty small without adding ballast. Much better than the 196, but will not be as large as your boat.

I am very happy with my 200. Thankful to be able to own it. Heard the new txi is good. Go try both before you buy.

• Baller

The bow on the 200 is much smaller than the one on your LXI or the TXI. Bu has the biggest bow by far. I agree that if your boat does more than just rip up and down the course all summer you need the bow. To be perfectly honest for what you are skiing, have a look at a newer Nautique 206. They have a wake as good as the 196 up to 32off or so, and a good sized bow. They track like a freight train AND have a nice boarding wake. Plus IMHO the interior is way nicer than the new 200's. Feels more comfortable for cruising, swimming, sunbathing etc.

Sorry for confusing the issue, just me two cents.....

• Baller

Here's an example of a 206. I post this one b/c it has the advantageous observers seat configuration. Some others have a straight walk thru to open bow but result in a narrower observers seat. I favor this layout and not all have it. Has ZO and PP as well, but there's no way that's the original trailer.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2007-Correct-Craft-Ski-Nautique-206-101309028

• Baller
Nice 206!...ZO included....maybe a little pricey but nice. I am not sure why this boat does get more nods. I think it's a sleeper that is underated and overlooked way to often. If you are looking for more than just a "tractor" it's a fantastic option. Oh and by the way I don't even own one.....

• Baller
Along w/the prior question...I've only been in a few 200's though love to ski them at tourneys. The interior on the 200 looks kind of "squared off" and less comfortable where the edges of the seats (back and observers) meet the side of the boat. Is the 206 more comfy than the 200 along w/having the more generous open bow?

• Baller
@6balls That's my take exactely on the 200. It ski great, truly it does, but it feels really hard on the interior. Every thing is squared off and the surfaces seem "hard", I don't know how else to describe it. The back seems cramped with the ski lockers and the back seat feels like a park bench rather than comfortable place to chill. Not that I am bashing it, just how it feels to me. It definetly feels like it was designed for one purpose...........it does ski nice....:-)

• Baller_
I hate the fake wood looking rubber that covers the step rail and platform on the 200. The single fuel port also sucks and if you overfill, it pours out onto the cheap rubber fake wood and soon that will start pealing back off of its surface. The gas milage sucks. That said, it is by far the best pull out there. The long line and slower speed skiers all love it. The thing about the 200 that I dont get is why they have that trick/jump lever. You would think they could get a 3 event wake without it like the other 3 have.

• Baller
There is a reason that the 200 is on 20 feet and not 20' 6". Some lakes now restrict the length of boats to 20 feet. By going past the restricted length may hurt sales in these areas. Malibu also has a 20' wake board boat possibly just for that reason is my guess I can't speak for Malibu.